John Weber
United States
Ellicott City
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

This phase 1 event card reads "All patents require +1 $ this turn."

Does this mean:

1. Anyone claiming a patent must pay $1 to claim it?

2. Anyone claiming a patent needs one more $ on the card(s) used to advance the technology and claim a patent?

or

3. Something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I believe it means that they all need an additional $ on the luminaries in order to claim. I'll double check the rules, I think it had something about that one as an example.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike DePasquale
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Didn't see an example, however another card has a +1 Lightning Bolt for technology advances. I'd assume that since there is one of those then the other is just a + 1 $ meaning you have to have a Luminary that has a 2 $ or combination of luminaries in that one turn to satisfy the new requirement.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Acosta
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
Howard University College of Medicine
badge
Reptar, King of the Ozone
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, I'm gonna go with Mike on this one. Anyone looking to advance technology will have to expend luminaries whose total "$" value equals the usual requirement +1 $ value. This card would then mean that if you chose to advance technology on a track in such a way that you "skip" a level (for example go from AC I to AC III) and wish to claim the patent on the final level (usually requiring a $ value equal to $1 for all levels traversed in this manner - i.e. $2 from AC I to AC III), that you would then have to expend luminaries with a total value of $4 ($1 for skipping AC II + $1 for event + $1 for claiming AC III + $1 for event)

Playing as the Edison Company during a round when this event is in play would be a great benefit, seeing as how Edison's company ignores $ requirements when filing patents!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
John Weber wrote:

This phase 1 event card reads "All patents require +1 $ this turn."

Does this mean:

1. Anyone claiming a patent must pay $1 to claim it?

2. Anyone claiming a patent needs one more $ on the card(s) used to advance the technology and claim a patent?

or

3. Something else?

Sorry it took so long to answer this question! It means that the luminary (or luminaries) you use to advance in technology must have an additional $1 to claim the patent as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Since only the patent itself is +$1, I guess technology levels that are being "jumped over" in a multi-level advance still cost the normal $1 each?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JR Honeycutt
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Sort of. They don't actually "cost" anything... the patent you would claim costs $1 plus an additional $1 for each additional level you advanced with this technology action. (Plus $1 more for the NABC)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Benji
Switzerland
Gurmels
FR
flag msg tools
visit us on www.muwins.ch
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
jayahre wrote:
Sort of. They don't actually "cost" anything... the patent you would claim costs $1 plus an additional $1 for each additional level you advanced with this technology action. (Plus $1 more for the NABC)

Yes, sorry. I know they don't need to be payed for in cash, just in "financial abilities". Thanks for the clarification!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.