Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Anyone had a chance to play a carryover game all the way from Genesis to High Frontier? This is something I've always wanted to do, but probably would have to do it solo as not being able to find others willing in my normal game groups.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is something I have always wanted to do as well!

What is funny is that I cannot even get a game of High Frontier to the table--that is until I met some other games that go to a little board game conference in Bellevue, WA called "Dragonflight".

What are the odds that you happen to live in the very town where that convention is held!

I would love to try this next August. What do you think?

Genesis -> MegaFauna -> Neanderthal -> Greenland -> High Frontier?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.
badge
I cannot follow you Christians; for you try to crawl through your life upon your knees, while I stride through mine on my feet.
mbmbmbmbmb
Genesis -> MegaFauna -> Neanderthal -> Greenland -> Leaving Earth -> High Frontier?

Fixed that for you You can't just send Vikings into space.

[Yes, I realize it's not a Phil Eklund Game]
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Allard
United States
Dover
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mb
What? You are taking the easy way out... You forgot Origins: How we became human. Fits right in between Megafauna and Neanderthal. <G>

JimA
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nathan Milbrath
United States
Blaine
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Better to reign in Hell than serve in Heaven.
badge
I cannot follow you Christians; for you try to crawl through your life upon your knees, while I stride through mine on my feet.
mbmbmbmbmb
JimA759 wrote:
What? You are taking the easy way out... You forgot Origins: How we became human. Fits right in between Megafauna and Neanderthal. <G>

JimA

Wasn't Neanderthal supposed to be a sort of implementation of that? Or am I misremembering something.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
pickboy87 wrote:
JimA759 wrote:

JimA

Wasn't Neanderthal supposed to be a sort of implementation of that? Or am I misremembering something.

BIOS: Origins links Bios: Megafauna and Origins: How We Became Human by playing on a single map. (Megafauna only covers North America, Bios: Origins uses the Origins map, which covers the entirety of earth. The Bios: Origins maps includes the map details necessary from Megafauna). Essentially, you use the rules for each, but the special linking rules handle taking the end state of Megafauna and using it is initial conditions for the start of Origins. Scoring takes both parts of the combined game into account.

In addition, there are rules to continue Origins into High Frontier based on the same principle: taking the end conditions of Origins and using it to create initial conditions for High Frontier.

Neanderthal can link to Greenland, but that is completely separate from the Bios: Origins linkage.

I think Bios: Genesis is supposed to push Bios: Origins' start back even further, allowing Genesis to link to Megafauna, which links to Origins, which can link to HF.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't have Origins -- How We Became Humans though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
gar0u wrote:
This is something I have always wanted to do as well!

What is funny is that I cannot even get a game of High Frontier to the table--that is until I met some other games that go to a little board game conference in Bellevue, WA called "Dragonflight".

What are the odds that you happen to live in the very town where that convention is held!

I would love to try this next August. What do you think? :)

Genesis -> MegaFauna -> Neanderthal -> Greenland -> High Frontier?

I'm at Dragonflight every year and also one of the few times I get to play these games non-solo.

There's also some other smaller conventions in the area we could try to get a game going sooner. OrcaCon?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Richards
United States
Bellevue
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
pickboy87 wrote:
JimA759 wrote:

JimA

BIOS: Origins links Bios: Megafauna and Origins: How We Became Human by playing on a single map.

That's what I'm speaking of. I have the poster map, genesis, megafauna, how we became human, high fronter, colonization. Just need players and time!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Doull
Australia
Kirrawee
NSW
flag msg tools
mbmb
Bios: Megafauna 3rd edition slated for 2017 Essen and (assuming that is successful) Bios: Origins 2nd edition for 2018 are being designed by Jon Manker, Phil and myself so those of you who don't have Origins: How We Became Human will not miss out.

The integration between the new editions is going to be much tighter. The organs from your macro life in Genesis directly translate to Megafauna, and the cratons from Megafauna will determine the map for Origins.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Marty Dixon

Vancouver
Washington
msg tools
mbmb
I wish I could give this multiple thumbs up!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Gerstbrein
United States
Granby
Connecticut
flag msg tools
I am so smart. S M R T !!!
badge
Be real!
mbmbmbmbmb
andrewdoull wrote:
Bios: Megafauna 3rd edition slated for 2017 Essen and (assuming that is successful) Bios: Origins 2nd edition for 2018 are being designed by Jon Manker, Phil and myself so those of you who don't have Origins: How We Became Human will not miss out.

The integration between the new editions is going to be much tighter. The organs from your macro life in Genesis directly translate to Megafauna, and the cratons from Megafauna will determine the map for Origins.

Will there be any benefit (other than for collectability) to keep the first editions of MegaFauna or Origins? Would they be usable in their current form with the tightened rules?

Thanks in advance!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done a full Megafauna-Origins game once, with three people (on the BIOS: Origins map).

One major problem we had was that the aquatic whale-people did't have much to do with the competition between the bird-people and land-people we developed (and the perpetual ice age that happened to develop made uranium hard to come by), but it was certainly an interesting idea. Was tempted to take this to High Frontier, but the amount of time and energy involved put this off.

I'm really keen to see how Megafauna and Origins 2.0 end up working out - Genesis is a fascinating game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
ilmatyynyalukseni on täynnä ankeriaita
mbmbmbmbmb
The slavery rules need a major overhaul before I play O:hwBH again. Last game I played was broken because one player enslaved all others and there was no way out that we could determine that would be competitive.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:
The slavery rules need a major overhaul before I play O:hwBH again. Last game I played was broken because one player enslaved all others and there was no way out that we could determine that would be competitive.

Yeah. Origins is something of a mess. It's a wonderful, expansive, crazy, ambitious mess, but it's clearly nowhere near as refined as the later games.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
HerrJork wrote:

Yeah. Origins is something of a mess. It's a wonderful, expansive, crazy, ambitious mess, but it's clearly nowhere near as refined as the later games.

in theory, or as a solitaire game, it's great but as soon as you get competitive and want to win rather then see what enfolds it falls short unfortunately.
a new edition that is more up to date and has clearer rules ( wow ) wwill be great.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb

Just a quick mention that we are currently playing a Bios: Origins game via pbem (see this thread).

Since it's not moving very fast at present, I would gladly start another one right away (including HF era perhaps), if others are interested.

Only request: to be able to play at least once a day (with the rare break due to holidays or especially busy work weeks).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rex Stites
United States
Lawrence
Kansas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
HerrJork wrote:

To be fair, I think we had solutions to fix the problem and provide a reasonable path for the enslaved players to end slavery, we just couldn't all agree that it was a valid rules interpretation.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorik
Netherlands
Utrecht
Utrecht
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rstites25 wrote:
HerrJork wrote:

To be fair, I think we had solutions to fix the problem and provide a reasonable path for the enslaved players to end slavery, we just couldn't all agree that it was a valid rules interpretation.

yes that's true.
we often disagree with Micha, he has a mathematicians look on things.
but the fact is that the fun in the game was kind of gone as some of us wouldn't leave the enslaved status.

oh well, that's in the past and I hope a new edition will be as awesome as can be.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
Playing from Genesis to High Frontier

I can't even get through Genesis's rulebook shake
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
colmmccarthy wrote:
Quote:

It's certainly not easy.

What are you struggling with? The different-names-for-the-same-thing is tricky, and (as with all of Phil's games), understanding how all of the moving parts fit together is firmly non-obvious, but I think it all makes sense.

The FAQ on the BGG page is pretty great - it's full of questions like "how do I get more cubes", which is really the way to solve the above.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Will H.
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:

One major problem we had was that the aquatic whale-people did't have much to do with the competition between the bird-people and land-people we developed (and the perpetual ice age that happened to develop made uranium hard to come by)

This is why I love Eklund/SMG games so much.

(It might not be a super balanced game, but where else will you ever hear something like that?!)

My daughter made a giant bat (bigger than a horse) in MegaFauna last year and still talks about it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colm McCarthy
United States
Madison
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Domfluff wrote:
colmmccarthy wrote:
Quote:

It's certainly not easy.

What are you struggling with? The different-names-for-the-same-thing is tricky, and (as with all of Phil's games), understanding how all of the moving parts fit together is firmly non-obvious, but I think it all makes sense.

The FAQ on the BGG page is pretty great - it's full of questions like "how do I get more cubes", which is really the way to solve the above.

Thanks for these. Guess I'm just not in the right frame of mind for Genesis right now. I've dived into Pax Ren instead. More my speed for now

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dom Rougier
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No worries. If you have any questions later, feel free to ask.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.