Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
*The Run Down
An idea of my wife who loved the idea of a ghost hero ever since she read about Deadman. I thought it would be an interesting idea to try and flesh out. (See what I did there.) Well, since a ghost cannot directly interact with the living, I thought this may be a decent kind of support/control hero. I tried to make sure the cards also felt ghostly as well with some interesting ideas.

*Bio
Long ago, man was besieged by an evil entity that enslaved and destroyed all it came across. Mankind was under threat of extinction. The kings of old came together and empowered their greatest champion to defeat this evil. Once strengthened by their magic, he went forth and fought the evil with all that he had. He won, but at the cost of his life. As a reward for his bravery and sacrifice, the old kings blessed his mask so that he could live on as long as it was intact.

In the modern day, an archeological dig has unearthed remnants of an ancient civilization and as they dig up relics, they come across a metal mask that looks like it has not aged a day. They ship it to a museum for which it never arrives. The government has intercepted the mask and taken it to the headquarters of a new agency. The liaison for this sets the mask down on a table in the room and reads the script on it. A body appears hovering over the mask, looking at the liaison. "The world needs you again. We need you to lead a group that you will help put together in order to protect us." said the Liaison. The spirit looked at her and smiled. "It is about time."

Hero: Shade
HP: 24
Base Power: Telepathic Suggestion
-Target player looks at the top 2 cards of their deck. They put one into their hand and the other on the bottom of their deck.

Incapacitated:
-One player may put a card from their trash on top of their deck
-One player may draw a card
-Shuffle a card from the villain trash into the villain deck

One-Shot (Qty:20)
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Telekinesis (Qty:3)
-Shuffle a villain target or ongoing card into the villain deck and then play the top card of the villain deck. If it is a one-shot, deal the villain character 2 psychic damage.

Ghostly Spy (Qty:4)
-Look at the top card of a deck and either discard it or replace it

Interference (Qty:4)
-Destroy an ongoing card
-Shade deals himself 2 energy damage

Spirit Guide (Qty:4)
-One other player may put up to 2 cards from their trash into their hand

Essence Theft (Qty:3)
-Destroy a target with 3HP or less.
-A Hero target regains 3HP

Wails of the Dead (Qty:2)
-Shade deals each non-hero target 1 psychic damage and 1 sonic damage

Ongoing, Limited (Qty:14)
-----------------------------------------------------------------------
Haunting (Qty:3)
-Play on a target
-At the start of your turn, Shade deals 1 psychic damage to the target below Haunting.
-Power: Play a card. Destroy this card.

Possession (Qty:3)
-Play this on a target
-At the start of your turn, Shade deals a non-hero target not below this card 2 melee damage.
-When Shade would be dealt damage, redirect that damage to the target below this card and then destroy this card.

Phasing (Qty:2)
-Reduce melee and projectile damage dealt to Shade by 1.

Timely Fright (Qty:3)
-When a hero would take 4 or more damage from a villain target, prevent that damage, then destroy this card.

Ghost Writer (Qty:3)
-Play on a villain target
-The next time the target below this card would be dealt damage, increase it by 1
-Power: A player may play a card or use a power, but only to target the villain target below this card. Destroy this card.

Ongoing (Qty:4)
The Chills (Qty:4)
-Play on a villain target
-When played, Shade deals 2 psychic damage to the target below this card
-Reduce damage dealt by the target below this card by 1
-Destroy this card at the start of your next turn.

Equipment, Limited, Relic (Qty:2)
Mask of the Hero (Qty:2)
-Play on a Hero
-At the start of your turn, the Hero below Mask of the Hero can use a power now and then Shade deals that hero 2 Psychic damage.
-When Shade deals a Hero Psychic damage, move Mask of the Hero to another Hero other than Shade.

Any recommendations and suggestions would be appreciated. This is the second of the custom decks in the Reaction Expansion that me and my playgroup have come up with. 11 heroes, 10 villains, and 4 environments.

(Edit Notes)
-Added Other wording to Spirit Guide to prevent looping potential
-Reduced damage from 3 to 2 on Possession
-Fixed wording on Telekinesis and Interference
-Reduced damage of Telekinesis and added a choice to give more utility effect
-Adjusted Mask of the Hero to have a drawback for balancing.
-Reduced damage reduction on Phasing from 2 to 1.
-Slightly reworked Ghost Writer to simplify use.
-Reworked Ghost Writer
-Reworked Mask of the Hero for balancing and fun.
-Switched Quantity of Telekinesis and Spirit Guide
-Currently working on trying to balance Telekinesis
-Changed ability of Telekinesis
-Added more restriction to Ghost Writer Power ability

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I'm a bit worried by Spirit Guide looping, if you can make it happen. SG#1 and #2 to recur a game-breaking card like Mistbound. SG#3 to recall SG#1 and #2...

And the 3rd ability of Ghost Writer looks pretty nice too. Recurring Team Leader Tachyon base power that lasts until something removes it!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Take Walker
United States
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
This is a cool idea for a hero, and I particularly like Possession. I agree that Spirit Guide should be a player other than Shade's player.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Possession and Essence Theft are both really cool and encourage interesting decisions. I do think Possession at 3 damage is too strong, as redirects are already inherently pretty powerful. Not getting to choose doesn't weaken that much. I think 2 damage would be better (depending on how the rest of the deck shakes out).

Speaking of, there looks to be a lot of broken potential:
- 2 armor against 2 of the most common damage types. Omnitron-X's plating is balanced around the rest of his deck, this is not.
- Spirit Guide as mentioned.
- Ghost Writer: any one of those would be super strong, the draw one arguably broken. The choice makes it ridiculous, and hard to remember.
- Mask of the Hero: all of AA's support potential, none of the hoops to jump through.
- Plus, 4 copies of a 5 damage one-shot seems like pushing it (it's the 2nd-highest amount of any fixed-damage one-shot in the game).

You also have a lot of MtG-sounding wording, which sounds off and in some cases just won't work in Sentinels (players and ongoings are not targets with HP).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Hunter
New Zealand
flag msg tools
Cool hero, I like how little damage he does - a true support character.

With Possession the 3 damage doesn't seem that important, as it's not that likely to actually happen - odds are Shade will take damage before the start of his next turn.

Ghost Writer does seem crazy strong - plus it can be The Chills but better, and with more options. Likewise Phasing - against a lot of bosses that is a game-breaker!

Telekinesis does a lot of damage, but I think given you also have to destroy an equipment it's reasonable (plus even with this solid card, Shade is hardly what you'd call a high damage deck overall). Having said that, should it be something like "YOu may destroy an equipment card. If you do Shade deals a target 5 projectile damage" so you actually have to have something to throw? As is, if there are no equipment cards out it's just a free Fire blast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Thank you everyone for your input. I have tweaked the deck thanks to your advice and put the changes in the edit notes area. I hope I was able to make some good changes with what you guys gave me. Honestly, of all my heroes, this is the one I was worried I did not really bring to life enough. I am happy everyone is liking him.

Pretty consistent worries about Ghost Writer and Spirit Guide. I hope I was able to fix them. Also, if any of the names of the cards you feel could be better, please do offer better ones as I am always looking forward to new input. I felt spirit guide was good, but was not sure if a better name was out there for what it did.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Bishop
United States
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mb
Some more comments after the changes:
- Telekinesis still has some issues. This deck only has 2 equipment cards, meaning TK becomes almost useless unless you bring specific types of allies. Also, the "destroy something with 5 or less HP" option is possibly stronger; you can't hammer bosses with it, but it will probably take out a good 50% of the targets in the game, regardless of armor, damage prevention, etc. I'd put more thought into this card, and make sure it integrates with the deck.
- The Mask: 1 damage is kind of a joke cost and doesn't address the underlying issue of why the card is powerful. It's lumping TWO of the BEST support effects into a POWER that can be used every turn. AA spends a ton of plays and a good chunk of his deck to do this reliably, and it's a more interesting process.
- The new Ghost Writer is still strong, but might be okay. Hard to tell.

Out of curiosity, have you actually played this deck yet? His cards strike me as either really powerful or really weak, and without a strong underlying mechanical theme. It seems like he could be all over the place.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derrick Maltman
msg tools
Damn. I too have been working on a ghost hero off and on. Some similarities here in Shade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joseph Guzman
United States
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Don't give up Derrick. Yours will be plenty different still, even with some similarities.

Tosx, I have not playtested this deck yet. I treat these decks the same as my MTG decks. Brainstorm, peer review, playtest a ton, more peer review, then finalize. I know it sounds weird, but it has led to my unique, and terrifying decks. I am hoping it will be the same with these custom decks in being fun decks for all to enjoy. I agree that Telekinesis needs some work. Trying to think of a different way to go with it and I even may scrap it and make a new card in its place. Also I do feel Ghost Writer is too similar to The Chills and I am also trying to figure out how to rework that as well.

If anyone has any ideas on either a new card or a new way to go with Telekinesis, it would be appreciated.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.