Hide
4 Posts

Carcassonne Big Box 5» Forums » General

Subject: Difference between the old Big Box and the 2014 edition? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Argentina
flag msg tools
Do you guys know what changed in the 2014 edition?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew Peckham
England
Dorking
Surrey
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe the older Big Boxes had expansions 1 and 2 plus a handful of mini-expansions, whereas the new Big Box (5) has expansions 1, 2 and 8 (and is probably better value).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derek Whaley
New Zealand
Christchurch
flag msg tools
Darius I – 73rd Great Khan of the Illustrius Barbarian Horde, Duque San Lorenzo, Marquis de Feltón, Chief of the Zayante, Baron von Whaleyland, Lord Kennedy
badge
Arrgh!
mbmbmbmbmb
There's a breakdown of the Big Box contents on the main Carcassonne page.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A P
Wales
Newport
Other
flag msg tools
mbmb
Both sets contain
- the base game;
- Inns & Cathedrals (including the 6th Meeple set);
- Traders and Builders.

I only own the most recent big box (#5) so can't speak for the contents of the other set, but mine does not contain the canvas bag that I think you would normally get with a standalone copy of Inns & Cathedrals. It's not necessary for the game, but would have been nice to have.

The older box (#4) contains
- Corn Circles II
- Mage & Witch
- The Ferries
- The Flying Machines
- The Gold Mines
- The Messengers
- The Robbers

I haven't tried any of these expansions but they're all quite small I believe.

The newer box contains
- The River*
- Hills and Sheep (again, without the canvas bag though)
- Extra Meeple sets to allow a 7th (purple) and 8th (pink) player.
- The Wheel of Fortune**

* The River contained in the Big Box set has some extra features which tie in with the Hills and Sheep expansion that you don't get (as far as I know) if you buy the River anywhere else. You can ignore these if you aren't playing with Hills and Sheep, but it's nice to have as Carcasonne expansions don't normally really integrate like this.

** The Wheel of Fortune is a "standalone Carcassonne game" which normally includes the normal base game tiles along with some extras. Strictly speaking therefore Big Box 5 either doesn't actually include the base game and instead includes a full copy of Wheel of Fortune, or includes only the extra tiles in Wheel of Fortune, depending on how you look at it. There's nothing stopping you from playing unexpanded carcassonne using only the tiles from the base game (which are which are clearly and helpfully marked in this set).

For my money I'd say the new box is better value? But I haven't played the expansions in the older set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.