Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am excited to see the game to be re-released, but the price tag is higher than I expected: 85 € ($122CAD) but with only 24 mininatures?

Now, I am not too sure I can afford it. Wish the retail price will be (much) cheaper
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Franzman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Hey! You don't know where that cursor has been!
mbmbmbmbmb
About $91 in the US... Considering that it's just two basic teams (24 miniatures) with no campaign rules, I'm going to have to pass on this one as well. It's already pricy, but then you'll have to add more teams and rules expansions, plus star players and all that. This one is not for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, overpriced and obviously for a niche market. Oh well.....

-Ski

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
$100 seems pretty reasonable for a GW game. I thought it was $80 or so 15 years ago, but could be wrong. Does anyone remember the original price?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:
$100 seems pretty reasonable for a GW game. I thought it was $80 or so 15 years ago, but could be wrong. Does anyone remember the original price?

I feel like I got my third edition copy for somewhere around $60-70, and then another $35 for Death Zone. I can't be certain however, it was a long time ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
William Chew
United States
Concord Township
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Attack dog
mbmbmbmbmb
COMaestro wrote:
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

I feel like I got my third edition copy for somewhere around $60-70, and then another $35 for Death Zone. I can't be certain however, it was a long time ago.

Yeah I don't recall the price since it was so long ago. It might have been $60 for the base game. I do remember expansion boxes were $35 which I was incredibly impressed the new skaven are priced at that. I was expecting $50 per team.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The teams don't seem to include enough players eg you'll want more blitzers, so the cost will go up from the base price.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
battlepuppy wrote:
The teams don't seem to include enough players eg you'll want more blitzers, so the cost will go up from the base price.

The boxes come with 12 players and you need 11 to play, so you get a playable team out of the box (with one reserve).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
monkehbwoy wrote:
battlepuppy wrote:

The boxes come with 12 players and you need 11 to play, so you get a playable team out of the box (with one reserve).

True, but I think what Andrew means is while you get a playable team, you don't necessarily get an optimal team. However, for anyone starting out, one box of 12 figures is fine, especially as you get a sheet of transfers so you can easily proxy a lineman as another blitzer (or whatever).

People getting into serious league play will want more players, special characters, etc. but that kind of investment isn't really necessary at the casual end of the scale.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

True, but I think what Andrew means is while you get a playable team, you don't necessarily get an optimal team. However, for anyone starting out, one box of 12 figures is fine, especially as you get a sheet of transfers so you can easily proxy a lineman as another blitzer (or whatever).

People getting into serious league play will want more players, special characters, etc. but that kind of investment isn't really necessary at the casual end of the scale.

Obviously. All i'm saying is; It doesn't do the game any favors throwing around that the teams are incomplete or anything like that. I think people who never played miniature games before are confused enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Outlaw
United Kingdom
Devizes
Wiltshire
flag msg tools
badge
The Wing Warrior - learn more at www.facebook.com/thelegendriders
mbmbmbmbmb
monkehbwoy wrote:
RedMonkeyBoy wrote:

Obviously. All i'm saying is; It doesn't do the game any favors throwing around that the teams are incomplete or anything like that. I think people who never played miniature games before are confused enough.

I agree. It is indeed confusing when one person says the teams aren't complete and another person says they are. I was trying to clarify the situation a bit more.

Casual gamers will get more than enough to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
Don't you open that trapdoor!
mbmbmbmbmb
MonkeyKnifeFight wrote:

I’ve looked up the data from the 3rd ed launch. The US figures where easier to come by, so I’ve used those.

The core game came in at $54.99, which is $89.60 adjusted for inflation.
New price is $99.

New box gives:
*Two extra minis;
*Plastic moulded counters instead of cardboard counters;
*Plastic moulded templates instead of acetate templates;
*A big deck of playing and summary cards, instead of four Star Player cards (the rest originally would have been in the Death Zone expansion);
*Double sided board & Dugouts, rather than single-sided;
*Colour rules, rather than black & white.
*two expanded sets of team-specific dice, ratehr than one set of general dice.
So a 10% increase for a product with arguably superior contents.

Looking at the team boxes, the 1994/3rd ed boxes where $29.99, or $48.87 adjusted for inflation. For 11 metal minis.

New team boxes are $35 for 12 plastic minis plus plastic counters, which is MUCH better value!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
What part of "Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn" don't you understand?
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Incidentally, the original Death Zone for 3rd edition was $34.99, or $57.07 adjusted for inflation. The cards from that are now in the core game, so all that’s left is the rule book, which is up for $25 (and is now in full colour).

So the original set and expansion came in at $146.67 adjusted for inflation, and are now coming in at $124, which is cheaper overall.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Slev Sleddeddan
United Kingdom
Victoria Park
Manchester
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I should also note that 3rd ed + Death Zone contained rules for twelve teams. The new edition plus Death Zone contains rules for nine teams, and there is supposed to be a free download that contains the thirteen remaining official rosters, they've elected not to support the Slaan/Slann roster, given minis complications, but may do later.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Cornixt
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I got my first proper copy around 2005 when it came with the nice softback handbook for £40. I remember being a little annoyed at this price because in the 90s it was £25, although that only had the thin basic rulebook and didn't include all of the league rules and new team rules like the handbook - you had to buy Death Zone (£15 but also had the special play cards) to get those.

So the new price isn't bad, and the cost for a whole team is surprisingly low for GW, who seemed to cut the number of models in half and double the price of the Warhammer models (and almost no spare bits!) since I last bought from them

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The new game has 25 bucks worth of custom dice in it.

A set retails for $12.50, which is expensive, but a 16 sider is 4 or 5 dollars alone.

Plus two teams of 12 models at $35.00 each, which most agree is a fair price for a team.

So at MSRP you pay 25.00 for dice plus 70.00 for two teams.

Means the entire rest of the game is only $5.00

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rauli Kettunen
Finland
Oulu
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Slev wrote:
Incidentally, the original Death Zone for 3rd edition was $34.99, or $57.07 adjusted for inflation. The cards from that are now in the core game, so all that’s left is the rule book, which is up for $25 (and is now in full colour).

How many cards does the new core come with? DZ had 116 cards and they were THICK cardboard. I mean, THICK! Plus you got another 18 Star Player cards of the same THICK cardboard.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
32 cards in new one,

But GW says they have two more decks coming.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Smith
United Kingdom
Stockport
Cheshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
In my attempt to post a short comment early this morning, I seemed to have caused a bit of a stir so let me clarify. Apologies to anyone who misunderstood.

My point was the teams provided do give you a team which is perfectly playable, but experienced players will want more than these to select from.

For example, if I am building a new orc team with 1 million gold, which is the usual sum, I will want more than 2 blitzers and more than 2 black orcs. Which means I need extra figures. And I'd probably fancy a Goblin or two, and we don't seem to have those yet.

Bottom line, this will end up expensive.

I'm not preordering. I already have plenty of Blood Bowl stuff and do a tournament or two a year. I'll wait and see what those tournaments do, for example do they continue with the CRP (the downloadable old rule book), or do they transition to the new rule set. And if they transition, do I really need to buy the new stuff? Time will tell.

And this isn't a diss of GW. Huge well done to them for rereleasing an awesome game, but I'm not opening my wallet. Yet.

Andrew

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Middleton
United States
Laramie
Wyoming
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
battlepuppy wrote:
In my attempt to post a short comment early this morning, I seemed to have caused a bit of a stir so let me clarify. Apologies to anyone who misunderstood.

My point was the teams provided do give you a team which is perfectly playable, but experienced players will want more than these to select from.

For example, if I am building a new orc team with 1 million gold, which is the usual sum, I will want more than 2 blitzers and more than 2 black orcs. Which means I need extra figures. And I'd probably fancy a Goblin or two, and we don't seem to have those yet.

Bottom line, this will end up expensive.

I'm not preordering. I already have plenty of Blood Bowl stuff and do a tournament or two a year. I'll wait and see what those tournaments do, for example do they continue with the CRP (the downloadable old rule book), or do they transition to the new rule set. And if they transition, do I really need to buy the new stuff? Time will tell.

And this isn't a diss of GW. Huge well done to them for rereleasing an awesome game, but I'm not opening my wallet. Yet.

Andrew

That is true of any minis based game, including all past versions of Blood Bowl.

Proxying minis to play is a simple solution as well. You even had the "scintillating" colored bases to mark out special players in older editions with single model sculpts.

What's more, the first thing people ask for with a new game, almost any game on this site, is more stuff and expansions.

I would bet that this will be the official rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Merritt
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I am pretty much in the same boat. I love Blood Bowl and had a lot of fun with it in the past. However, I don't really have the money to invest what will likely end up being at least $200-300 on one game right now, especially if I have no idea about how popular it will be with either my friends or the people at my FLGS.

I'm glad the game is here for new people to experience and enjoy. I just don't think I can be one of them at this time.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.