Subject: Page load time differential on wifi. rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
On my wifi connection at home web pages load up in a good hurry on my Android device (Samsung Galaxy S6).

They take a good long time on my PC and on on wifes Mac Book Air.

I would think hardware/software/os wouldn't matter and page loading would be a function of the speed of the wifi I have. But obviously not.

Anything I can learn from this to increase the internet speed for my PC and my wifes laptop?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
s quinn
United States
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Many things can affect these speeds. Hardware, software and potentially OS. have you run speed test on all devices to ensure you are getting the same download speeds?

just google "Speed Test".....it will be "speedtest.net by ookla"

See if the speeds are the same if they are then there is more digging if they arent...well there is more digging lol. This will at least tell you what your download speeds are on each device.

What type of wireless network are you B? G? N? AC? and what band 2.4Ghz 5Ghz? Many things could matter.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
☆ ✧ ☆ ✧ ☆
United States
Minneapolis
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Looking at these stars suddenly dwarfed my own troubles and all the gravities of terrestrial life. I thought of their unfathomable distance, and the slow inevitable drift of their movements out of the unknown past into the unknown future. H.G. Wells
badge
Humankind has not woven the web of life. We are but one thread within it. Whatever we do to the web, we do to ourselves. All things are bound together. All things connect. Chief Seattle
mbmbmbmbmb
PC: 6.79 down 4.74 up
Mac: 4.58 down 12.0 up

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Harvey
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
frumpish wrote:

Wow. All of the upload speeds I've ever tested are not even close to the download speeds. I expect to see 1/10 ratio.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Simpson
United Kingdom
Leeds
West Yorkshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
caracfergus wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Wow. All of the upload speeds I've ever tested are not even close to the download speeds. I expect to see 1/10 ratio.

Depends on the line. Most ADSL / Cable connections are asynchronous with upload speeds a fraction of the download ones. If however you have a leased line, they tend to be synchronous, and have roughly the same upload and download speeds. Most consumer connections are async.

At work our backup ADSL is 6mb/1mb and our leased line is 20mb/20mb.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
\m/ Stoner Rock \m/ (Joe)
United States
Atlanta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
LRayZor wrote:
caracfergus wrote:
frumpish wrote:

Depends on the line. Most ADSL / Cable connections are asynchronous with upload speeds a fraction of the download ones. If however you have a leased line, they tend to be synchronous, and have roughly the same upload and download speeds. Most consumer connections are async.

At work our backup ADSL is 6mb/1mb and our leased line is 20mb/20mb.

I think you mean "asymmetric" vs "symmetric" here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.