Subject: 2 player Multicolor puzzle 2 rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
Ann has R1 G2 B3 Y2 W5
Bob has G5 G1 R3 R1 B4

Ann clues Bob 1, what would you expect the next 3 moves to be assuming no important new cards drawn.

Edit: new cards come in on the left like on BGA. These are initial hands yes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Lane
United States
Castle Pines
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In our group, we play cards from right to left when given a multi-number or multi-color clue. Our newest cards come into our right and move across our hand to the left to be discarded if not given a clue.

In this situation, I would probably do the following next 5 actions:

1. Bob plays the green 1. (I'm reading his hand from G5 to B4)
2. Ann clues him on the green 5 (she needs to say something).
3. Bob clues Ann about the green 2.
4. Ann plays green 2.
5. Bob plays red 1.

This assumes as you say, no new playable significant cards are drawn. Also, I assume this is the initial hand drawn. If so, then you have time to save the white 5 later and get playable cards out first.

That's my $0.02.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
The way we tend to play:

Ann clues Bob 1.

Bob clues Ann red. [Not 1 - he wants Ann to know the colour.]

Ann discards R1. [Known to duplicate one of Bob's 1s.]

Bob clues Ann 2. [Can't be a clue to play, so is a clue against discarding. Clues against discarding logically must prohibit discarding anything to the right of the rightmost card identified, otherwise the clue didn't need to be given yet.]

Ann discards B3. [Rightmost card not prohibited from being discarded.]

Bob plays G1.

Ann discards newly-drawn card. [G2 Y2 W5 still protected.]

Bob clues Ann green. [This works, even if Ann has drawn another green card since. In our dreams, she's drawn G3.]

Ann plays G2.

Bob plays R1. [Unless Ann had drawn a G other than G3, in which case a play-inhibit is now needed instead.]

New things being drawn could change that sequence. After those ten turns, what happens next definitely begins to depend on what's been drawn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
claggie wrote:
1. Bob plays the green 1. (I'm reading his hand from G5 to B4)
2. Ann clues him on the green 5 (she needs to say something).

Really? Why does she need to say something? I would expect her to discard W5 if Bob doesn't warn her not to.

Conversely, if I was Bob and Ann clued me my leftmost card was a 5 in that circumstance, I would mis-read the situation and discard the R1 expecting it to be another G1.

Since she intervened, she clearly doesn't want me to continue with my previous course of action, which can only mean I started with G5 G1 x G1 x. (Any other 1 would still be playable, and the 5 being G5 is the only reason that "1" would be preferable to "green" as an initial clue if I started with two G1s in hand.)

I would expect my next discard to be the card I drew when I played the G1. But when I discarded a playable R1 the game would be broken by miscommunication. We'd be off protocol and I'd have to start winging it, hoping Ann would do something to recover.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
No correct answers yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean McCarthy
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I would go:

Bob: Clue 2 (by prioritizing this over play, warns to not discard 5 or 2)
Ann: Clue 5 (not sure if safe to discard third card, has luxury of OK stalling play)
Bob: Play G1 (discard by Ann is now OK, let's try to play out the 1s before needing to save/not save the R1 in her hand)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
smallman wrote:
No correct answers yet.

"correct"?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
clivej wrote:
smallman wrote:
No correct answers yet.

"correct"?

Correct means the most logical choices for best chance of highest score. Your answer is definitely quite decent, just not quite best.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Clive Jones

Cambridgeshire, UK
msg tools
mb
Ah, but are you trying to maximise the chance of getting 30, or trying to maximise the average score? Do you value getting a total loss at exactly 0, or better or worse than that?

How much artificial convention do you tolerate?

Beyond all of that, I often end up in disagreements with people who can see some sneaky way to optimise the outcome in a particular circumstance, but it is only "logical" if one disregards the way it pessimises other, more likely, situations.

I shall wait and see what your proposed solution is. (-8
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
ben small
Australia
flag msg tools
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Bob clues Ann 2
Ann discards B3
Bob clues Ann preferably red unless new card is red/multi then 1 clue instead.

The 2 clue very clearly saves the 5 (otherwise Bob would play 1 if Anns chop not important), plus Bob might get to play his R1 before Ann's R1 is in danger. The option of Bob starting with a red clue is ok, but not quite as good for 3 reasons.
A, it doesn't save the chop 5 as clearly (maybe Bob just wants the red 1 known before a multi is drawn).
B, might get own Red 1 on table before needs to save Ann's red 1 (Bob doesn't know if Ann will discard yet, as she might spend clues on playable 2's, or maybe Ann draws another R1).
C, Bob should think that after the red clue Ann might play R1 and then draw an unplayable 2, and a following 2 clue on 22325 will look a bit like a playable 2 clue.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.