Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my copy today. Is there a reason why the box needed to be so thick? It's 3/4 of an inch taller than a normal-sized game. There certainly isn't enough in the box to justify such a size.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know why, but I appreciate it. Sturdy components just feel better and make a game more enjoyable and the box is one of the most important components.

Also, thank God for the sturdiness given Ideaspatcher's stellar packing job...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IDK, I think the box is perfect
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:
Got my copy today. Is there a reason why the box needed to be so thick? It's 3/4 of an inch taller than a normal-sized game.

Like Monopoly?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Marie
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:
It's 3/4 of an inch taller than a normal-sized game. There certainly isn't enough in the box to justify such a size.

The box is perfectly sized. With the large bag of food tokens sitting in the tray, and the player guides/rulebook/board sections sitting on top... it actually comes really darn close to not fitting properly. So I appreciate that extra 3/4th inch!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
FrockLobster wrote:
Got my copy today. Is there a reason why the box needed to be so thick? It's 3/4 of an inch taller than a normal-sized game.

Like Monopoly?

Nope. "Medium Square" as this site calls it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Darcy
Australia
Blue Mountains
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:
domcrap wrote:
FrockLobster wrote:

Like Monopoly?

Nope. "Medium Square" as this site calls it.

Dom, She's right. Same square format as TtR, Ricochet Robots, LotR:LCG but considerably thicker. Maybe 50%.

However, to me it seems a good size. The cards fit nicely in on their sides. That means I can keep Climate, Original and Flight all in the box together. It almost seems as if you planned it that way. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian Hamilton
United States
Asheboro
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
MAJBrown22 wrote:

Also, thank God for the sturdiness given Ideaspatcher's stellar packing job...

Yeah mine was shipped in jEst, a cardboard box..no packing. It got here though
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Honestly, as someone who just bought the game retail (not Kickstarter) and who doesn't have either the original, Flight, or the Kickstarter exclusives, the extra space isn't much use to me. I'm gathering that is what the extra card slots were included for..?

Aside from shelf space, and portability (which is a big deal for me since I bring games out to local game nights regularly), it also makes the game seem like a big involved affair when, in fact, it's a beautifully streamlined, accessible game for (I would argue) nearly all levels of gamers. But pulling that behemoth out of my bag, it sure isn't going to seem that way. For better or worse, you sometimes have to sell games to get them to the table.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Interesting. I have all of those other things, but I'm keeping my Climate as it's own, separate, independent game. I have my copy of the Base Game and Flight in their own boxes as well, mainly because some folks don't want to incorporate Flight and I don't want to have to sort things out.

With that in mind, I'm still not seeing the box as oversized. If anything, I'm finding that if it were any shallower, I wouldn't be able to have the lid on so that it's flush with the bottom. Everything has it's own slot except the food bags (which I've spread out over everything) with the 3-piece board and the Rule Book laying on top of that. If I hadn't spread out the bags, I'd have a portion pushing up on the lid preventing a solid, flush fit.

Maybe I'm doing something wrong? :shrug:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:
Honestly, as someone who just bought the game retail (not Kickstarter) and who doesn't have either the original, Flight, or the Kickstarter exclusives, the extra space isn't much use to me. I'm gathering that is what the extra card slots were included for..?

Aside from shelf space, and portability (which is a big deal for me since I bring games out to local game nights regularly), it also makes the game seem like a big involved affair when, in fact, it's a beautifully streamlined, accessible game for (I would argue) nearly all levels of gamers. But pulling that behemoth out of my bag, it sure isn't going to seem that way. For better or worse, you sometimes have to sell games to get them to the table.

Thanks for he feedback. I think you're right in your assessment that most big box games like this have complicated rules that are a turn-off to most gamers (but loved by a small segment of BGG type gamers). Climate is designed for this small segment of BGG type gamers. I want it to deliver a bigger than life thematic experience with fantastic depth of strategy - only I want the learning process to be more inviting to new players than is traditional for this type of game. It never occurred to me that bringing out a big box would make others at the table afraid of what they were getting into. It's good feedback for me.

Hopefully we'll be able to get the message out that CLIMATE delivers a traditional big box experience without the quagmire of rules and exceptions that you'd normally expect from the affair. That's because we put in many extra thousands of hours of development into keeping the rules as simple and streamlined as possible. As a designer, you normally have to choose between streamlined rules, or a thematic experience. But if you have a team of professional developers at your disposal and enough of a budget (both of which we have), you can throw out 10 viable ideas for each card that happens to hit on theme, simplicity, balance, and depth of play.

I hope you are able to forgive the box size and enjoy the game. And I hope you are able to appreciate the work we put into it so that your teaching experience would not be horrendous. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Smith
United States
Orion
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I did notice the box is deeper (thicker?) than the normal medium square box, but I think that dimension has the least impact on people's perception of a game's complexity. If the box was also wider and/or taller (like a coffin box or Star Trek: Fleet Captains), I think people would be more likely to assume it's a big, complex game. Just my two cents.

I appreciate having the extra depth, as my plant micro expansion boards (barely) fit in the box. I also have room for future expansion cards.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the thoughtful reply, Dominic. Clearly not everyone agrees, but I do think that the experience of the game starts as soon as you pull that box out of your bag/closet/shelf and introduce it to people. It's not everything, but it is an important piece.

I had my first experience teaching the game last night and it went very well. Again, kudos to you and your team for making the game so streamlined. Between that, and the wonderful artwork, I have high hopes that it will become a game I'm regularly able to introduce to new people and not scare them away.

I will probably ditch that box though...

domcrap wrote:
Thanks for he feedback. I think you're right in your assessment that most big box games like this have complicated rules that are a turn-off to most gamers (but loved by a small segment of BGG type gamers). Climate is designed for this small segment of BGG type gamers. I want it to deliver a bigger than life thematic experience with fantastic depth of strategy - only I want the learning process to be more inviting to new players than is traditional for this type of game. It never occurred to me that bringing out a big box would make others at the table afraid of what they were getting into. It's good feedback for me.

Hopefully we'll be able to get the message out that CLIMATE delivers a traditional big box experience without the quagmire of rules and exceptions that you'd normally expect from the affair. That's because we put in many extra thousands of hours of development into keeping the rules as simple and streamlined as possible. As a designer, you normally have to choose between streamlined rules, or a thematic experience. But if you have a team of professional developers at your disposal and enough of a budget (both of which we have), you can throw out 10 viable ideas for each card that happens to hit on theme, simplicity, balance, and depth of play.

I hope you are able to forgive the box size and enjoy the game. And I hope you are able to appreciate the work we put into it so that your teaching experience would not be horrendous. Cheers!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
FrockLobster wrote:

Don't say that! I think I'm going to go into the corner of this hotel room and cry.

cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
FrockLobster wrote:

Don't say that! I think I'm going to go into the corner of this hotel room and cry.

cry

I'm sure that "ditch that box" shouldn't be taken literally. Rather, it is a statement of intent to cut the top of the box, have it framed, and hang it on the wall of the room in which games are usually played. The art on the front of the Climate box is lovely, as well as thematic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frock Lobster
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:

Don't cry! By "ditch," I meant "put in the basement." I just plan to use a smaller box to bring the game out, either something generic, or (if I am feeling obsessive) a custom-made one with the original amazing artwork.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Custom! Custom! Custom!

Spoiler (click to reveal)
(I'll stop crying if you make a custom box)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.