$15.00
$5.00
Jeremy Avery
Canada
Kamloops
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My OLGS lists Evolution 2nd Edition and Evolution Climate as virtually the same price. I've read that you can play Evolution Climate without the additional Climate cards - i.e. as the base game.

So why are they the same price? If Evolution 2nd Edition has X cards and costs $55, why does Climate, which has X + Y cards, cost $55 as well?

Can someone shed light on this?

I own base Evolution and was going to buy the Climate conversion kit, but now I am wondering if I should just buy the full version of Climate and s3ell my old base game. As long as I got $30+ for the base game, I'd be saving money.

Am I missing something?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kelly Marie
United States
Cary
North Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Climates MSRP is priced at $60, i actually bought it (at hubby's insistance) at this price to support a great FLGS I was visiting out of state, But prior I had been highly considering ordering it online for ~$40. At the time anything higher seemed a bit steep.

I cant imagine them trying to sell Climate for snything higher than the $60 the local shops ae selling it for. Yes, there's more cards to account for the new climate aspect than the original Evolution. But that's it. A handful of new cards is hardly worth a price bump just so its not the same msrp as original Evolution.

Has more to do with your FLGS pricing, than a fault with Climate's price. Just because Climate is out doesnt mean they need to discount the original right away.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Aemilius Korab
msg tools
Climate is standalone, but because of overlap in the cards you can play the original second edition version by taking some cards out. If you're interested NorthStarGames posted an update (https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1923120194/evolution-cl...) on their kickstarter when people were asking this question. They also list how to convert from Climate to base evolution.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Currie
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
Look, honey, he thinks there's honey in there!
badge
We can't all be Zheleznogorsk.
mbmbmbmbmb
familygaming wrote:
I own base Evolution and was going to buy the Climate conversion kit, but now I am wondering if I should just buy the full version of Climate and s3ell my old base game. As long as I got $30+ for the base game, I'd be saving money.

I can't really speak to the perceived MSRP discrepancy; I'm sure a retailer that got Base Evolution stock at a particular wholesale price with MSRP $55 isn't going to cut into their margin just yet. I've got a feeling that Climate will start to outsell Base when North Star reaches a saturation point in letting people know that Climate is essentially the new Base game (which is strictly a personal opinion since I am hard pressed to play without the Climate track anymore).

The biggest thing you'll gain selling your Base and buying a Climate stand-alone is a unified card set. Depending on which version of Base you own, you may have cards that have slightly different iconography (the chaining arrows), design (the leafy pattern around "When Food Cards are Revealed" effect Traits), and the actual art being a little different (I believe the Carnivore art is scaled a bit differently on at least some of the cards). North Star has offered upgrade decks in the past and they may still have them available for purchase (I can't check from my desk at the moment).

The Climate standalone box seems to be a bit "bigger on the inside" than Base and there's some extra space for future expansions and promos. The Climate board itself is a gorgeous piece of chipboard and the three sections are connected with interlocking puzzle-type edges (instead of a fold that would crease the art). The Climate box has a recessed area that keeps it from getting banged around in transit.

If you can sell your base, by all means. But if you have a 2nd Edition Base game, Conversion Kit will set you up for Base and Base + Climate Formats.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.