Popular Tags: [View All]
Matt D
United States
Peachtree corners
Georgia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I have it in my hot little hands, and let me tell you, this is a thing of beauty. DMG did SUCH a great job putting this together, all of you backers are going to be thrilled when you get to hold it. All of the delays to make sure the production value was where they wanted it to be are totally worth it.

The components are amazing. I think the best thing about the game is the form factor of the box. I know they told us the dimensions, but I really didn't conceive of it until UPS came and handed me this box and I was like, "It's this small?" Instead of making a much larger unwieldy box full of air (I'm looking at you, Splendor) because it might look better on retail shelves, this box is pretty much exactly what the game needs. There's plenty of space for future expansions, but it's easily portable.

The cardboard components are thick, and very well made. The score board, when unfolded, bends up a little bit at the seam and doesn't QUITE lay flat, but I'm pretty sure that's just because it literally just came out of the box. I really like the fact that we didn't have to sacrifice having a large box just for a decent score tracker.

The castles for score and for action declaration are nice. Perfectly smoothly, no sharp edges, no splintering. They are very well crafted pieces of wood. They are on par with HABA - Habermaaß GmbH, which if you're not familiar, speaks really highly. I've grown accustomed to the wooden components of a game outside of your standard meeples or cubes looking...well, not so great. These are pretty spiffy.

The whole thing looks kind of sleek. The dividers are well made, just stiff enough to effectively split up the cards. And the cards themselves...for those of you that backed Valeria: Card Kingdoms and went through the saga of the bending cards (which, btw, DMG handled very well IMO)...these are light years better. I'm not sure what is different about the process on these versus some others, but the finish is nice, the card stock used is excellent. They just feel nice.

Admittedly, I may be somewhat biased since my face is in the game (and features somewhat prominently in the rule book and the box itself), but I have to tell you, the production values of this particular game is killer. It's very clear to me that DMG learned from the mishaps that came with Valeria: Card Kingdoms, and did NOT allow for the same mistakes or issues to happen.

Hats off to the team at DMG. I'm super impressed with the quality of this game, and can't wait to give it a real spin at my gaming group this weekend!

Disclaimer: I received my copy of the game already because I am an Adventurer Level Backer, and one of the "rewards" of that level was to receive one of the advance copies of the game.

Edit: I forgot to mention, I uploaded a few photos of the actual components to the image gallery, they are just awaiting mod approval atm.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Francois L-C
Canada
Near Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
hestiansun wrote:
Disclaimer: I received my copy of the game already because I am an Adventurer Level Backer, and one of the "rewards" of that level was to receive one of the advance copies of the game.

While I was reading I was asking myself how you had got your hands on a copy... until I read that you have "your face in the game", thus suggesting a higher pledge (which you confirmed).

Anyhow, thanks for your little review of the components. I'm eager to get my copy and see what this little game has to offer.

EDIT: Typos.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michał Pietrzak
Poland
Zgierz
flag msg tools
badge
"Mind if I roll need?"
mbmbmbmbmb
Now I'm waiting even more for my copy! Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Renan Neori
Israel
Tel Aviv
Gush Dan
flag msg tools
From a time before Pachinko...
badge
Don't touch!
mbmbmbmbmb
My friend's copy of Card Kingdoms gets a lot of play in our group, can't wait to add the Villages to our playlist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jacob Schoberg
United States
Elkhorn
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
when i get home, i'm so tired
badge
just roll over, please. i'm so tired. just roll over, please. i'm so tired.
mb
Just got mine in the mail today (deluxe copy), and I can echo the OP's sentiments-- great looking game. Haven't had a chance to dive in to it yet, but at first look "sleek" is a great word to describe it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.