Hide
8 Posts

Scuttle!» Forums » Rules

Subject: Robot Pirate rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
M F
msg tools
I know the rules say "Whenever a card tells Robot Pirate to draw or play cards" it draws from the top card from the deck and use its ability but what happens when the card that gets drawn keeps saying to draw a card? Does the robot Pirate keep drawing cards till it can't anymore?

When Robot Pirate gets a destroy all permanent cards does that include it's own??

One last question. Can you play a permanent card that protects your treasure before you actually have treasure in a regular game? What happens if the Robot Pirate gets that card before it has treasure?

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll answer to the best of my knowledge...

- In all instances when the Robot would draw a card, it plays the top card of the deck for its ability. If the new card is draw cards you just keep going that; play the top card of the deck.

- The Kraken I'm guessing? Yes, all permanents includes the players as well, so the Robot, if he plays it.

- For the Queens, yes, as they protect everything. But I'm guessing you mean the Pirate's Code which goes on top of a single treasure card. I'm not sure on this one. I would assume the Robot would, but it would be protecting nothing. A player could but it would be pointless to do so. Maybe another solo rule should be, if playing the Pirate's Code without a target, play as a treasure instead.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M F
msg tools
Thanks Brad for clearing some things up. I think the solo rules need to have slightly more clarity.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad103
United States
Skaneateles
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
For solo mode, you have to take the rules for the Robot pirate just as they're said. It seems like he could potentially be drawing and playing a lot of cards off the top of the deck, but that's intended.

From Update #33 on the kickstarter page:

Quote:
What happens when Robot Pirate plays this card? Or this card?

This one sentence from the rulebook covers 99% of those cases: Whenever a card tells the Robot Pirate to draw cards, play cards, or take cards from the discard pile, instead play the top card of the deck for its ability.

Imagine there was a card that said "Go Fishing: Draw 4 cards, then play a card, then take a card from the discard, then draw another card."

(There's not).

When the Robot Pirate would do ANY of those things, you instead play the top card of the deck for its ability. So, when Go Fishing was played, the Robot Pirate would:

- play the top card of the deck for its ability once (instead of drawing 4 cards)
- then it would play the top card of the deck for its ability (instead of playing a card)
- then it would play the top card of the deck for its ability (instead of taking a card from the discard)
- then it would play the top card of the deck for its ability (instead of drawing another card).

So in this case, instead of drawing, playing, taking a card from the discard, and then drawing, it would instead play the top card of the deck for its ability four times!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Luiz Mendes
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Braffe wrote:
I'll answer to the best of my knowledge...

- In all instances when the Robot would draw a card, it plays the top card of the deck for its ability. If the new card is draw cards you just keep going that; play the top card of the deck.

- The Kraken I'm guessing? Yes, all permanents includes the players as well, so the Robot, if he plays it.

- For the Queens, yes, as they protect everything. But I'm guessing you mean the Pirate's Code which goes on top of a single treasure card. I'm not sure on this one. I would assume the Robot would, but it would be protecting nothing. A player could but it would be pointless to do so. Maybe another solo rule should be, if playing the Pirate's Code without a target, play as a treasure instead.

I got the same issue last night, and I just house-ruled that any treasure that cannot be played or doesn't have a valid target, like a Cutlass when I have no permanents, is just played as a treasure instead.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
M F
msg tools
Did that make the game easier for the Robot Pirate to win?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Colin Toke
United States
Cleveland
OH
flag msg tools
What happens when on the second Robot Pirate action... when playing the top card of the deck as a treasure... its an action card instead and has no doubloons... should it just then be discarded?

Also, can you compound Pirate King Cards? Meaning a regular 10 Treasure with two King Cards in play is really worth 16.

Thanks, CToke

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Peter Hayward
msg tools
designer
mbmb
Force76 wrote:
I know the rules say "Whenever a card tells Robot Pirate to draw or play cards" it draws from the top card from the deck and use its ability but what happens when the card that gets drawn keeps saying to draw a card? Does the robot Pirate keep drawing cards till it can't anymore?

Correct!

Force76 wrote:
When Robot Pirate gets a destroy all permanent cards does that include it's own??

Also correct!

Force76 wrote:
One last question. Can you play a permanent card that protects your treasure before you actually have treasure in a regular game? What happens if the Robot Pirate gets that card before it has treasure?

The rules should have been more clear on this, but if you have to play a card that can only be a treasure (at that time), play it as a treasure.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.