Lee Lynde
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

This is my first (our) first question posted on BGG so please let me know if I didn't place this in the wrong area or I wrote a posting wrong in someway.

I have two appointments scheduled at a Mayo Clinic this week over the course of one day. (This is also my first appointment with the Mayo Clinic.) One is scheduled in the morning and one is scheduled at the end of the day. I think there will be tests scheduled between them but I'm looking for something to distract me from my anxiety during down time in the day. My spouse and I are big board gamers so I thought of playing a new game as a way to pass the time and take our minds off of the possible medical problem and a good excuse to buy a new game.

We are driving there early in the morning and will drive home at night so we have no motel to return to during the day. We do have a local game store that sells at MSRP so I could purchase a new game the day before we leave.

I would like to keep it relatively inexpensive (under $50) if possible.

We mostly play games only with each other so we try to buy games that work well with 2 players.

It is possible that we can go to a restaurant to play a game but I don't know if that will be possible. I doubt that there are tables upon which to play at the clinic but I don't know that either.

We don't have an ipad or iphone and our android phones don't have much capacity for games so we need to bring a physical game.

I'm thinking that it needs to be a game that we can easily set up in a corner of a lobby area using an end table or in a cafeteria...but I'm guessing as to the space available. We may have no table space available. I think the game needs to have easy set up and fast tear down in case my name gets called sooner than expected.

Any game ideas would be great. We are planning to bring books but a game sounds more fun at the moment....plus writing this post just helped me avoid reading the information from the Mayo Clinic about my appointment just a little longer...Did I say, "high anxiety?"

Thanks in advance for any ideas. I don't know if I will have time to respond to posts before we leave but I will try to write after the appointment day to let everyone know if we were able to play anything there.

Again, thanks ahead of time for any ideas.

Pamela (and Lee)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin D.
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Dream Home should work.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Donald Cleary
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Search Condado on the android marketplace. It's a free San Juan with pass and play. Very small.

Battle Line is good. Mottainai.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J M
Sweden
flag msg tools
I'm totally new to gaming, and don't even own this game, but couldn't Jaipur work?
Good luck at the appointment.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thiago Jabuonski
United States
New York
NY
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good luck with your appointment, I think bringing a game is wonderful idea!

I wouldn't be surprised if you find other gamers there as well. I have worked in hospitals for the past 7 years and have always met lots of people who are into boardgames.

Jaipur, Lost cities, Mr. Jack Pocket, lord of the rings the confrontation and Hansa (has a board but few components that all go on top) are all good 2 player games that played well in airports/coffee shops for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 for Jaipur

also

Hive Pocket

Another short and not very much space consuming game: Dungeon Roll

Splendor

Good luck with your appointment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
lampeter
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd recommend Hive Pocket orStar Realms.

Thinking through my personal wishlist (games I haven't played but look really fun), maybe Longhorn or Samurai Spirit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paweł Bedz
Poland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Awesome 2-player game that takes under 1h: Patchwork
It requires some table space. You can also grab some card game! I may suggest Red7.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Violet Mackerel
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My son broke his arm twice this summer, so we did a LOT of doctor visits (every two weeks for four months or so), and our "waiting room games" were:

Love Letter: Batman (any version would've worked; we like the Adventure Time one, too) - we didn't play with the little pieces that show how many rounds you've won, though.
Hive Pocket
Drecksau (but I wouldn't recommend this one, since you're not playing with a little kid)

They were easy to play multiple times, or to stop and gather up easily if his name got called while we were in the middle of a round.

I love the idea of Jaipur, too, though there are quite a few pieces on the table if you think you might have to gather it up quickly. Might want to have a bag to sweep it (or really any game) into or something. I was always worried about losing a card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
N P
United Kingdom
Birmingham
UNITED KINGDOM
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The one that I think best suits your needs has got to be Hive! Compact and interesting game for two which is robust, easily carried, can be cleaned if it gets dirty on café tables, and is easy to learn but still deep. I also recommend the expansions.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
chris schott
United States
saint louis
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I like the suggestions for Hive. Here's a silly dice push-your-luck game that can be fun: Pass the Pigs.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
James Thompson
Australia
Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
I lose all the games... It's fun but!
badge
... as in addicted to going fast... not the powder stuff... "ADICT" was the licence plate on my bike...
mbmbmbmbmb
+1 Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Hansen
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
+1 Hive Pocket

+1 Jaipur

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Most games require a table. While SHCD works better with a table (eg. for the map), it doesn't *require* one. You can also put the game away in the middle of a case, but still discuss the case with your partner, perhaps to take your mind off anything stressful at the hospital.

Each case is typically played only once or twice. So, if you're into scrapbooking, you can use the played pages of the game as scrapbook paper! (BTW, If you're into Cthulhu, Mythos Tales may be available in a few weeks.)

Best wishes on your appointment!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sam and Max wrote:
Sherlock Holmes Consulting Detective. Most games require a table. While SHCD works better with a table (eg. for the map), it doesn't *require* one.

Yes, great recommendation!

Also wanted to wish you all the best at your appointment, and a very positive and successful outcome. Here's to your health!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
pnpgamer me
msg tools
We found Jaipur to be perfect for the waiting time. 10 minute or so rounds, so if something came up no big problem. It also easily fit on a hospital bed table, even with all the other stuff that had to be there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lee Lynde
United States
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

Thank you everyone for recommending games. At the end it pretty much came down to the games available in our local game store.

We own Jaipur, Star Realms, Love Letter, Splendor, and Pass the Pigs. They were good ideas and we brought those. I wanted a new game to have something positive for sure about the whole process. (and what gamer doesn't use any excuse to buy a new game?) I have had Hive Pocket on my wishlist for a long time and since it seemed to be the game that got the most recommendations after Jaipur, it seemed a great excuse to buy it. Unfortunately our FLAG only had Hive. I looked at the size of the pieces and wondered if end tables would be big enough to play the game. I had brought a clipboard to use as a flat surface for the game but I didn't think the regular Hive pieces would fit on the clipboard.

As we were packed, heading out of town, and had only 15 minutes before the game store closed, I had to decide quickly. We looked for Lost Cities the card game...it wasn't there. I remember looking at all of the small games and I didn't see any that I remembered was on the list of your recommendations.

But...they did have Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective. It turned out to be perfect. I took out the rules, map, newspaper, directory and case number 1 and put it in the envelope with the paperwork for the clinic. We took it out and read the rules during our wait time. It was a good distraction.

To give the Mayo Clinic credit, I had very little wait time. We sometimes had to scramble to make it to the next appointment on time as the appointments were spaced very close together. It made the day go faster.

Thanks for the well wishes. Unfortunately the tests revealed that I will get a chance to try to solve the other cases at upcoming visits next year. I think Sherlock Holmes, Consulting Detective will be a continuing good distraction during these visits.

Our down time was so little that we didn't actually get to play the case at the clinic, just read all of the information. So my husband, son, and I have been working on the case since I got back. Again, it has been a good distraction.

Thanks everyone for the ideas.

Pamela
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Virginia M.P.
United States
Bronx
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So glad you found Sherlock Holmes to be an intriguing distraction. It gives you lots to think about and is very portable.

All good healing wishes to you with your upcoming treatments!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
river tam
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I played Onirim the night before my big spine surgery to distract myself. It worked well for that. Good luck with your appt.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
P A
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
famiglia would be my pick. cheap, portable, small footprint, silly, and can be played 2p or 1p.
marrying mr. darcy is another favorite in my house. same as above.
hope things go well with mayo. i know how it is with academic medical centers, and seeing the world experts. nerve wracking.
-p

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.