$5.00
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb

PnP Download
When printing, select the option that prints on two/both sides (long edge of page) in your printer settings.

This is my entry for the 18 Card Microgame Contest 2016.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
G. Uitz
Austria
Vienna
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Hide and Sneak - A Solitaire Game (18 Card Microgame Contest 2016)
Sounds interesting, but please choose a white or other light colored background for the cards to make them printer friendly.

Dark.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
C. L.
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Hide and Sneak - A Solitaire Game (18 Card Microgame Contest 2016)
For the blank 18th card, how about a marker to to mark the spot defined by the coordinates you generate each turn? I believe you are allowed to cut up the cards in this contest, so you could create a marker. A standee would be nice...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Re: [WIP] Dungeon Flip (Solitaire Game) - Components Ready! {18 Card Microgame Contest 2016}
Since I had the art assets I tweaked the theme from dungeon thieves/guards to dungeon heroes/monsters.

The game is now components ready!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Martin Windischer
Austria
Innsbruck
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't understand the "Print on both side - Flip pages on long edge".
Every printer is different and mine for example doesn't have this option. It wouldn't be a problem but I don't know what backs goes on which card.
Flipping on the long edge would mean that there is 1 green hero with the game title on its back, 1 green hero with the game content on its back, 1 blue hero has a treasure on its back and so on. This doesn't make so much sense for me.

I guess that the back of the green hero is the other green hero? And the backs of the treasures and monsters are all empty dungeons? That leaves 6 cards which have an empty dungeon on both sides. Am I correct? Does it matter which side of the empty dungeons is showing at the setup?

But on the other hand that means that there are alwaya exactly 2 heroes showing, thus "If there are ever more face-up monsters than heroes, you lose!" makes no sense.

And another question: When I flip 2 cards, may I first flip the first card, and then decide which second card I choose, or do I have to decide before flipping?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
The card file is now fixed and updated in the OP. Most printers should have a "print two/both sides" option. Otherwise, you can print page 1 and 3 separately and then manually put those pages back into the printer and print off page 2 and 4. Page 1 is front, page 2 is the back to page 1, page 3 is front, and page 4 is the back to page 3.

You are correct on all accounts. No, it doesn't matter which side the empty dungeon rooms start on, they technically don't have a face down/face up side.

There are 4 monsters and 2 double-sided heroes in the game. If 3/4 of the monsters are face up, 3 > 2 so you lose.

You swap both, then flip both.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Great art - I'll have to give this a try!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Thanks. I am trying to contact the artist again to create 4 unique heroes (paladin, cleric, wizard, thief) and door for the cardback.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Predrag Stevanovic
Serbia
Belgrade
flag msg tools
designer
JewellGames wrote:
Thanks. I am trying to contact the artist again to create 4 unique heroes (paladin, cleric, wizard, thief) and door for the cardback.

This looks very nice and fun and i'm wandering if it would be ok to ask him to do 2 female characters. I have two nieces (5 and 7 years old) and i think older one would like this one. (she likes 'Dungeon in a Tin' and she recently beat me in Catch the Lion!).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gregg Jewell
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmb
Yes! I precisely asked him for 2/4 to be female in the email but no reply yet.

In the meantime, I have change the hero to keys since YOU are the hero exploring the dungeon anyway. This has been reflected in the latest pnp file.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Looks great Gregg! Sort of a 2-D Flip 9.

Will try it out this weekend!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Tuck
England
LONDON
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Had some time to give this a play.

Nice clear rules and, as I mentioned before, great art.

Probably took around 5 minutes to complete each game (I played 3 times).

I feel I should be tracking the number of turns I take, so that I have a score to aim to beat.

I enjoyed it as a quick, light puzzler/memory game (I've yet to try the Heroic variant).

Good luck in the contest!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Douglas Rees
South Korea
Daegu
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm going to say that I was a little confused at first blush, but the game does seem to be pretty fun and simple. I'm wonderring how I can teach it to my nephews (who don't speak much English).

I'm really bad at memory games, and when it comes to swapping face-down cards that may be monsters, and keeping track of where they are...oh the headache.

The most difficult part was when revealing a monster, trying to remember which two were flipped that turn

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
JK
New Zealand
flag msg tools
designer
Hi Greg,

I just played a few rounds of Dungeon Flip. It's a cool little solitaire and surprisingly slippery. Kudos on the ultra simple rules, though for some reason it still took me a couple of games before I was sure I was playing right. Maybe numbering the steps would help? It would also be good to state how many cards are involved in the win condition ie "4 chests and 4 keys are face up, and all 8 monsters are face down"

I think it would be tenser if there was an (optional?) fail condition, like more than three monsters face up or something.

The art is fantastic and perfect for the game!

I think it's a great little puzzle game, and it will be filed next to Murderers Row (Calvin and Hobbes retheme) in my collection. Well done and good luck in the contest.

JK

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.