1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Everything Else » Religion, Sex, and Politics

Subject: The Alt-Right and Reality rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: Thoughtful_Conservatives_Posting [+] [View All]
United States
flag msg tools
Bitter and Acerbic Harridan
So Shreveport started a thread which most of you likely avoided. In it Ironcates, Jager, and a few others appeared to obstinately hold to the position that the alt right is somehow an innocent institution with no racists. Okay then. I invite you to peruse the offerings of the National Policy Institute.

I link one below but there are plenty more.

http://www.radixjournal.com/the-red-pill/2016/7/26/what-the-...

http://www.radixjournal.com

You people need to come to grips with what the alt right is. The underbelly of American conservatism. Walk away.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
she2 wrote:
So Shreveport started a thread which most of you likely avoided. In it Ironcates, Jager, and a few others appeared to obstinately hold to the position that the alt right is somehow an innocent institution with no racists. Okay then. I invite you to peruse the offerings of the National Policy Institute.

I link one below but there are plenty more.

http://www.radixjournal.com/the-red-pill/2016/7/26/what-the-...

http://www.radixjournal.com

You people need to come to grips with what the alt right is. The underbelly of American conservatism. Walk away.

What more does anyone need than the alt-right's own declarations of what they are on Reddit and other places? They've made it clear what they are, and that no, they're not joking, they're entirely serious. Conservatism? I dunno. Reactionary, certainly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Alt right.

Every moron is a fucking expert on a term they first heard a week ago.

That is the reality.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I knew this about 5 years ago when I started reading Drudge. He paints the same narrative. If he can't beat up on the current Democratic president, he pursues "blacks bad" and "muslims bad" and "jews bad" type stories. If those aren't current, it's just "it bleeds it leads". He was way before Breitbart but always linked to him.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
We all agree that there are some extremists on the fringes in America.

As a starting point for an intelligent conversation could we agree there are extremists on the left? And who might they be?

Then could we agree that there are extremist Muslim terrorists?

Then, after those two massive failures, could we agree that getting control of our borders is common sense and not an extreme position?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gotta love these douches.

"Iconic American corporations such as McDonald’s, General Motors, and Coca-Cola fund far Left groups with hundreds of thousands of dollars in grants each year—even as some struggle to make profits. Universities are filled with “ethnic studies” and “women’s studies” majors, who are skilled in organizing protests against Western Civilization but can’t read the books that define it. News articles habitually reference public schools removing the names of George Washington or Thomas Jefferson, to be replaced by some community organizer or another who was successful at stealing taxpayer money."

GM funds left-wing groups? Whaaa

Also, it can be argued that Washington and Jefferson stole taxpayer money. Almost all the founders were land speculators, and when those deals crashed, it hurt the return on bonds and inflated the currency being paid to Continental soldiers for their war service.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grand Admiral Thrawn
United States
New Jersey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Koldfoot wrote:

As a starting point for an intelligent conversation could we agree there are extremists on the left? And who might they be?

Then, after those two massive failures, could we agree that getting control of our borders is common sense and not an extreme position?

Yeah, I'm definitely in favor of controlling our borders. Don't agree with my lefty friends on that. A wall wouldn't work. And I don't get how mayors who have sanctuary cities aren't arrested. There aren't sanctuary cities for Social Security fraud or sanctuary cities for pot growing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
einsteinidahosu wrote:
I knew this about 5 years ago when I started reading Drudge. He paints the same narrative. If he can't beat up on the current Democratic president, he pursues "blacks bad" and "muslims bad" and "jews bad" type stories. If those aren't current, it's just "it bleeds it leads". He was way before Breitbart but always linked to him.

I don't doubt that the term was used that long ago, but very differently.

I note "alt right" produces 12 pages of results on a BGG search. 8 of those pages are from the last month.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
Alt right.

That is the reality.

This makes me feel less stupid. That's just about how long ago I first heard the term.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
it's been posted before. more than once.
Articles about the alt right and 1488 were posted months if not over a year ago.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J J
Australia
flag msg tools
maxo-texas wrote:
Articles about the alt right and 1488 were posted months if not over a year ago.

I've been (deliberately) reading about them for the last three years. I was vaguely aware of them for some time before that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
They weren't in the mainstream consciousness before though, were they? It seems like they were nothing more than a label of a semi-group that liked to offend people for fun. Are they really any more than that now? Is there really anyone out there who self-identifies as alt-right who's not just an immature attention grabber?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Coconut wrote:
They weren't in the mainstream consciousness before though, were they? It seems like they were nothing more than a label of a semi-group that liked to offend people for fun. Are they really any more than that now? Is there really anyone out there who self-identifies as alt-right who's not just an immature attention grabber?

That's what they started out as on 4chan. Ironic racists as trolling and a joke.

But they haven't been that for a long time. The kid who killed multiple black Christians at church posted confederate and 1488 images.

anyone using 1488, 14, or 88 isn't joking any more and they have gone off the deep end. Anyone supressing minority votes is racist and anti democratic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I get that there are neo-nazis out there who are dead serious (first time hearing about 1488).

Is that the same thing, though? Even if they're related, it doesn't seem to me (from what I've seen and read so far) that the alt-right is overtly synonymous with this 1488 thing.

If it isn't, then is the alt-right something that anybody who's serious actually self-identifies with? The only person I've seen do it is Milo Yiannopoulos, and I really can't take him seriously. He seems like an attention whore who will say anything to shock people.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I honestly get the impression that it's just a bunch of millennials who've been trolling the left. Or the right. Ironically, of course.

I've already said how little I know of it, though. (Just to head off attacks from people like Kumitedad that I'm defending them or am one. I know nothing more about them than I've posted in this thread.)

Even if they're a legitimate thing, it seems like a fringe movement. I'm surprised they've gotten any airtime at all.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Captain Coconut wrote:
I get that there are neo-nazis out there who are dead serious (first time hearing about 1488).

Is that the same thing, though? Even if they're related, it doesn't seem to me (from what I've seen and read so far) that the alt-right is overtly synonymous with this 1488 thing.

If it isn't, then is the alt-right something that anybody who's serious actually self-identifies with? The only person I've seen do it is Milo Yiannopoulos, and I really can't take him seriously. He seems like an attention whore who will say anything to shock people.

The alt right has drifted from the core jokers to serious racism. Some of it was probably the corruption by pretending to be racists. Some of it was attracting racists who didn't get the joke. Some of it was parts being taken over by real racists.

14 are the 14 words of the white supremacist creed.
88 is H.H. aka Heil Hitler.

you can read more at the adl hate group Web site.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
I take anything from the ADL with a grain of salt, but they seem to be saying that they're white supremacists who don't overtly show it (no "14 words" references, references to "race," etc.), and that it's an extremely loose movement yet not a movement.

So basically it's young white supremacists who aren't overt in their racism, but not actually a group. I'll be honest, that sounds pretty meaningless to me, especially coming from the ADL.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Alt right.

That is the reality.
New Term: "Fault Fright": "instilling 'fear & loathing' BEYOND Las Vegas environs alone!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mb
Koldfoot wrote:

Extremist MORMON: "makes a 'casserole', then 'baptizes/washes your hair' with "washing dishes" afterward!"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
casey r lowe
United States
butte
Montana
flag msg tools
mb
Koldfoot wrote:
Alt right.

That is the reality.

dont project your ignorance on others - the label is as old as the blog by the same name and the same ideas have also been promoted for quite a while by the so-called neoreactionary movement
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
Cleveland Heights
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I heard on NPR this morning that there has been a trend in the media to label the upswell in the alt-right, the Brexit phenomena and Trump's election as post-truth. As in, the discussions about politics don't actually care if something is true or not anymore. If you are on the right side I suppose you could actually throw liberal issues under the same umbrella. Anywhere emotion trumps truth you could say is a post-truth phenomena. Heck, you could make a case the Obama's presidency was post-truth, he ran on hope and no substance, just like Trump. Paying lip service with no plan is great for stirring the masses.

I'm not so sure though, it seems like an off hand way to dismiss people who disagree with you. While true that emotion can make truth relative and meaningless, there are still facts that can be used as truth. If one side or the other rejects basic facts, or considers them immaterial to their cause, then I guess that is post-truth. I hope it doesn't catch on though, it automatically infers your opposition is disingenuous and puts them on the defensive, which, if anything, entrenches them in emotional wagon circling.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
mbmbmb
single sentences wrote:
Koldfoot wrote:
Alt right.

That is the reality.

dont project your ignorance on others - the label is as old as the blog by the same name and the same ideas have also been promoted for quite a while by the so-called neoreactionary movement
It is ironic for Koldie to insult someone else because they were aware of something before he was. Throwing a mini-tantrum because he is uninformed about a major portion of Trump's voters.

Stories of the alt-right's rise aren't exactly new to anyone who's been paying attention. They have merely reached critical mass because that's the group that Trump hitched his wagon to when the "establishment Republicans" wouldn't suck his dick during the primaries. So all of the mainstream media sources will pick up on it, use it to sell pageclicks, then wander away when people go, "Oh, there are weird racists on the internet spewing garbage? That's weird, those people should fuck off."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
msg tools
You people need to get out more. I was prowling around a Covenant of the Sword and Arm of the Lord camp with a photographer in 1985 (31 years ago for the mathematically challenged). The "alt-right" is just a progression of the underground racist-white supremecists-radical evangelical movement. Just because these idiots finally figured out to use the Internet to spread their message (about 15 years ago) doesn't mean it hasn't existed since 1865.

And for those who are acting surprised, saying they haven't heard of this "alt-right" crap, there were literally millions of Americans who were surprised by 9/11, even though the same fucking buildings had been bombed by terrorists ten years earlier. Too many Americans discord their duties as citizens to be distracted by the bread and circuses offered by the corporate leaders who are raping us economically, and the political circuses offered by the media and politicians to distract us from how they are helping corporations loot America.

But please, keep arguing over "well the other side." Your relatives must have been band members on the Titanic.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Everyone is an expert on the alt right now.

Here is a better explanation of the Alt-right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Cates
United States
Visalia
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
she2 wrote:

Okay, I read the article. Were the founding fathers and Presidents before Kennedy not against egalitarianism of cultures? It seems to be about the history of the country. Are there any facts in there to dispute?

The final paragraph might be the problem:
Quote:
Today’s egalitarians are therefore radical dissenters from traditional American thinking. A conception of America as a nation of people with common values, culture, and heritage is far more faithful to vision of the founders.

Is that advocating for the mass removal of all races other than white or interpreting the nation as one with common values, culture, and heritage? I get that this kind of an article probably triggers SJWs, but is it actually racist?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5  Next »  [6] | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.