Subject: Any regrets not buying two cores? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Randy Auschrat
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only ordered one core set and think I will be fine. Picking up my box in a few days...

However I'm curious if there are others out there who bought only one core set and now that they've had a chance to play it a bit, regret not getting two...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Tonks
United Kingdom
Bedfordshire
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
No regrets. While I've played it a couple of times now & like it to the point of getting another & the expansions, I only got one to see how it compared against LotR LCG. It is challenging, scalable & fun while being different enough.

It will come back into stock at some point so I can wait To get another set & I bet it won't be too long anyway.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Emme
United States
Reno
Nevada
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Obligatory "no, because this game is dead anyway" post.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kaiwen Zhang
Canada
Munich
Bavaria
flag msg tools
Welcome to Zombo.com!
badge
Art of life
mbmbmbmbmb
ordered for one, will get through the standard difficulty just fine. will buy another one when tackling the hard mode.

buying two core sets to beat the standard feels like "pay to win", I want to avoid that if possible

worst case ill print proxies... the game is not competitive anyway, so proxies are not an issue.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jason Mitic
Australia
flag msg tools
mb
Not at all, after a couple of play throughs i can see a bit of the appeal but the adjustable difficulty level compensates as far as I'm concerned.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nigel Buckle
United Kingdom
Thornton Heath
Croydon
flag msg tools
designer
Omega Centauri
badge
Published in 2014
mbmbmbmbmb
I got two, but that was primarily because we are playing it 3 player. If you use sleeves it's straightforward to proxy the cards if you want an extra copy.

Two sets definitely helps 3 player though, and not just the cards - we ran out of clue tokens in scenario #2 and had to punch the second set.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Auschrat
Canada
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Good to hear. This will be my first LCG so I didn't want to go all in, hence just the one set. Figured if I really needed another set, it'll be back in stock some day.

Looking forward to playing this weekend...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed Knight
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I'm only ever intending to play with a maximum of two players, so one core is fine for me.

There'll be no end of expansions being released so I'm happy to let my card pool grow that way.

There's plenty of fun to be had with a single core.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Steinbach
United States
Forest Grove
Oregon
flag msg tools
As the infamous tattoo would say,

NO RAGRETS
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Campo
United Kingdom
Manchester
lancashire
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1 core it :-)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Miller
United States
Livonia
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I personally like having 2 sets. I plan on playing this with 4, and another friend bought 1 set. So that gives us enough for 4 characters. If I were only playing with 2 then one set would be enough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Likos
United States
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I went with 1 set, and now wish I had 2... but as others have said it will be in stock again soon.

I dislike not being able to play any combination of 2 of the characters.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah...ive bought 4 cores.for now its too much but when more characters will be released, my gf and I wil be able to use a total of 4 copies of any cards or play the same class without any problem

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

I bought two cores.

I'm a completionist and I wanted to be able to play 4p with friends if it happened. I also wanted to try more deckbuilding with single classes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Hill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambridgeshire
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Nope.

I've only played a couple of times, but have started looking at building a custom deck for when I start a 3- or 4-player campaign with friends, and I'm currently looking at only needing perhaps 3 or 4 duplicates of singleton cards from the core set, so I will just proxy those.

We do all have our own copy of the game though (in fact I'm the only one in the group to have only bought 1 set).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
Yeah...ive bought 4 cores.for now its too much but when more characters will be released, my gf and 7 will be able to use a total of 4 copies of any cards

Wait... the deckbuilding rules require that you only use two copies of cards with the same name in a deck. How would you use four copies? Or is that so you can have two people playing the same class without issue?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Dreamshadow wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:
Yeah...ive bought 4 cores.for now its too much but when more characters will be released, my gf and 7 will be able to use a total of 4 copies of any cards

Wait... the deckbuilding rules require that you only use two copies of cards with the same name in a deck. How would you use four copies? Or is that so you can have two people playing the same class without issue?

We can play same class without issue(we ca t do it right now though)

Or

For exemple, I am agnes and my gf want to play zoey and for some reason, we both want 2 copies of stray cat, or 2 copies of baseball bat

Also, with two cores, you have enough encounter cards to prebuild all 3 scenarios. But with 4 copies, if ffg use the coreset encounter cards for later scenario, ill be able to prebuild other scenarios
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom Tjarks
United States
Crowley
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh nice, I didn't think about prebuilding the encounter decks.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremy Santiago
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I regret it only because you can't play any combination of investigators if one of them is using most/all of the cards from a specific sphere. For example, if I'm using Roland Banks (Guardian sphere), I cannot use Skids O Toole because he needs blue (Guardian) cards in his deck.

There are only so many cards in the base set, and not enough to create your own combo of characters. Pretty disappointed in that, but its no different than when the LOTR LCG base released. Difference for me there was that I got into the LOTR LCG about a year later when there was plenty of expansion content out to add to my card pool

I don' t really want to play again until I can get another set or the first big box comes out in December.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
even with dunwich legacy expansion. You will get only 22 different player cards.(2 copies of each).

Each classes get 4 different cards ( 2 copies each)
and 2 different neutral cards ( 2 copies each)

IMO, If you can get a second coreset, go for it

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Williams
United States
Oceanside
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
tonksey wrote:

It will come back into stock at some point so I can wait To get another set & I bet it won't be too long anyway.

FFG doesn't even show it "Awaiting Reprint" yet.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephan Beal
Germany
Geltendorf
Bayern
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
nightwishpower wrote:
Also, with two cores, you have enough encounter cards to prebuild all 3 scenarios.

Almost, but not quite. The Ghoul Priest only has 1 copy per set but might, depending on campaign progression, appear in all 3 scenarios. Thus it "might" be necessary, in a two-core collection, to pull that one card out of scenario 1 or 2 to include it in scenario 2 or 3.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Redd

San Diego
California
msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
Preordered one core set(shipped but still not here yet) but couldn't pass up another one at my FLGS on release day. For now, I will probably not open the second core set until I've had more play time with the first one (maybe not even until after the expansion) and decide if I'm "all in" for this one. If not, it leaves me the option to sell a NIS copy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
sgbeal wrote:
nightwishpower wrote:
Also, with two cores, you have enough encounter cards to prebuild all 3 scenarios.

Almost, but not quite. The Ghoul Priest only has 1 copy per set but might, depending on campaign progression, appear in all 3 scenarios. Thus it "might" be necessary, in a two-core collection, to pull that one card out of scenario 1 or 2 to include it in scenario 2 or 3.

then kill him in the first one
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nate Heitz
United States
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I pre-ordered two core sets, but my LFGS didn't get enough copies to fill their pre-orders, so I ended up with only one. After playing a couple scenarios, not being able to construct my own deck is driving me crazy.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.