Subject: Any chance on getting an expansion? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Szilard Leitner
Hungary
Kecskemét
flag msg tools
Hey guys!

As quite a big fan of this game I can see the potential how an expansion could improve the gameplay experience. I think for example a modular board (something like in Small World Realms) plus some new contract cards could spice the things a little bit up. However I know it primarily depends on the financial success of the base game and if Splendor haven't got an expansion yet I'm afraid Via Nebula won't get either. What do you think?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Morten K
Denmark
flag msg tools
mb
Sacrosanctus wrote:
What do you think?

That it doesn't need an expansion. It's good as it is
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
Thankfully Martin Wallace rarely makes expansions for his designs. It seems we've been sucked into anticipating expansions - something some publishers capitalise on by withholding content from the main game in order to a) keep the price down and b) make much more by releasing expansions. Colt Express is a game that springs to mind, Csrson City too IIRC. These days I steer clear of games where there is a money-engine outside the game!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ken Thibodeau
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
in order to a) keep the price down

Lol

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Luchetti
United States
Glastonbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Just an inexpensive deck of new building cards would be nice ...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United Kingdom
Hinckley
Leics
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
fardoche wrote:
enoon wrote:
in order to a) keep the price down and b) make much more by releasing expansions
Lol
FTFY

The 'inexpensive deck of cards' expansion is a good example even if it won't happen: to put it in the base game might cost 3 currency units, and increase the retail price by 6 currency units. Releasing it as an 'expansion' separately might cost 6 currency units and be retailed for 19.99 currency units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
enoon wrote:
Thankfully Martin Wallace rarely makes expansions for his designs.
True but that was from his Publisher perspective. As a pure designer I've no doubt at all that if he was asked to think up an expansion then he'd more than happily take their money.

In a really interesting Essen interview he was very happy to basically advertise there and then that if the money's right, he'll design you anything you ask for. Which makes you wonder what his name on a box will mean in the future.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam P
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mb
I was thinking more in the line of Age of Industry expansion maps.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
Birmingham
England
flag msg tools
badge
Shoot for the moon. Even if you miss, you'll land among the stars, where you will be forced to drift aimlessly farther into the vast, empty abyss of space until a lack of food, water and oxygen causes you to succumb to Death's cold embrace.
mbmbmbmbmb
adamredwoods wrote:
I was thinking more in the line of Age of Industry expansion maps.
Well that level of variety is already there, given the setup locations. Obviously this is random vs strategically crafted, but it's still achieving a similar job in a lighter game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Amanda Sprunger
United States
Peachtree City
Georgia
flag msg tools
I like the game as it is, but do worry it could feel a bit samey after a while.
It feels like it just needs a tiny bit extra... player powers? Where each one feels more broken than the next (I think of covert).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Well. The really cool thing about this game would be that we could make fan decks of new buildings really easily. Or even to add to the current deck.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vince Lupo
United States
ALEXANDRIA
Virginia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
bagookster wrote:
I like the game as it is, but do worry it could feel a bit samey after a while.
It feels like it just needs a tiny bit extra... player powers? Where each one feels more broken than the next (I think of covert).

That would also be really easy to make fan expansions for. Like the slightly different board designs + player powers in Kings of Air and Steam. Example in via nebula would be if one players board gave him more points per empty explorer stack, especially later ones + some player power like "once per turn, if you use the explore fog action, you may place an extra meadow tile".

Another board might have an affinity for opening up resources.

ETc...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tieske
Netherlands
Abcoude
flag msg tools
Monsters with added bonus or negatives linked to monster spaces....

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Corban
Canada
Newmarket
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I noticed that the card slot is far larger than it needs to be, perfect for additional cards.

However, Asmodee/Space Cowboys seems to have no interest in expansions unless it is guaranteed big profits (e.g. Elysium expansion, which was fully developed and ready to publish, but denied).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.