Evolution: Climate» Forums » General

Subject: Basic card deck preferring hot over cold climate change rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
n. n.
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
There are in total 4 more sun icons than snowflake icons on the cards
(each trait that influences climate shows a net +3 tilt towards either hot or cold and there are 4 cold-preferring vs. 5 hot-preferring traits, plus Carnivore which is hot +1).

Is this a political statement about climate change?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Horton
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
I think it's possibly to make sure players don't end up stuck in a rut by being in the cold part of the track and having their new species immediately killed by cold (as they are unlikely to be bigger than BS2 after one turn), and so by having warm more likely, players can bring themselves out of this jam without having it wreck their game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Watson
United States
Bethesda
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zendracan wrote:

Of course it is! But I doubt that it was an intentional statement about climate change.

I suspect that the decisions about snowflakes and suns (how many? on which cards?) were heavily influenced by playtesting.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
I suspect that the decisions about snowflakes and suns (how many? on which cards?) were heavily influenced by playtesting.

Yep! It's a gentler game to new players if the climate gravitates towards more food on the warm side. But don't forget there are 3 Volcano Eruption events that drive the climate colder. So if the game plays itself, it will play out more gently a higher percentage of the time but get driven into the cold on specific isolated games. It works nicely.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Webb
United States
Indiana
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
domcrap wrote:
AndAgainMA wrote:

Yep! It's a gentler game to new players if the climate gravitates towards more food on the warm side. But don't forget there are 3 Volcano Eruption events that drive the climate colder. So if the game plays itself, it will play out more gently a higher percentage of the time but get driven into the cold on specific isolated games. It works nicely.

It also seems somewhat accurate regarding the actual climate swings experienced during the time frame that Evolution is loosely set in.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't view Evolution as being set during any specific timeframe. Nor do I see my species as dinosaurs or whatnot. I know a lot of people view it that way, but there is nothing to confirm that opinion.

Frankly, given the alternate natural history aspect of Climate and the ability for species to evolve that have never existed on Earth, it is far easier to see Evolution happening on some alien world or something. As far as scientists can tell, life throughout the universe should all obey the same laws of evolution by natural selection, so Evolution could be anywhere at any time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Turkilas
Finland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
AndAgainMA wrote:
zendracan wrote:

Of course it is! But I doubt that it was an intentional statement about climate change.

If it was a statement, it would surely be a scientific one rather than political.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.