XenoShyft: Onslaught» Forums » Rules

Subject: Help: Finding it too easy. What are we doing wrong? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
We have started playing this in our games group recently and have found that the reputation this game has as super difficult has not been our experience.

I have scoured most rules threads on here, read the FAQ several times, watched play through videos (including "Watch it played") and are fairly certain we have the rules right.

Suggestions are very welcome - as in common things we may have overlooked. We are experienced gamers and several of us have read the rules too.

We have played 5 games so far.

2 with the regular base set

1 with the Hive expansion

and 2 more with Hive expansion and the Grafting and Psyonics expansions.

Of the 5 games, 1 has been 2 player, 2 were 3 player and 2 were 4 player. The closest we have come to defeat is about 10hp left on the base.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
Don't use the grafting and psionics expansions. At least the kickstarter versions of these made the game a lot easier. I'm not sure how much have been toned down in the retail versions.

But also, I think the difficulty of the game is exaggerated. The game doesn't seem to be able to catch up once you have a good round and start doing well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Yes I found that they did seem fairly powerful. But our games without those expansions still seemed pretty easy too.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
christopher moeller
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
We haven't won yet. Maybe WE'RE doing something wrong!?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Kapish
United States
Brunswick
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Total unplayed games in my collection: 7
mbmbmbmbmb
If the game is too easy, adjust the base's starting HP to 10 per player.
If the game is too difficult, adjust the base's starting HP to 20 per player.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
f h
msg tools
I've found the biggest thing wrt whether the game is too hard or difficult is the selection of items available for purchase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Harrow
United States
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
One common rules mistake that makes the game significantly easier is when you forget that each player is only allowed to take one action per round of combat.

The main thing here is that you can't build your lanes to be self-sufficient via taking several actions per round of combat. We originally made the mistake and it makes it so that other players don't really have to help each other. Using the rules as written, you do have to help each other out, which then means that when the last player's turn finally comes up, he is shorter on actions left available, as well as the other players may have used all of theirs and/or had their units die. Going last is a lot scarier under these conditions.

Other things that can make the game easier (without misinterpreting rules) are the expansions (particularly Psionics) and the Kickstarter "experienced heroes" and "upgraded weapons" cards.

There is a very powerful combo available right from the start if one player chooses Psionics Division and another chooses Weapons, as the Teleport(s) + Assault Rifle combo can allow you to get through many enemies without the fear of losing your units.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
XeyneGaming wrote:
One common rules mistake that makes the game significantly easier is when you forget that each player is only allowed to take one action per round of combat.
Where is this rule in the rulebook? I can't find it. The combat rules explicitly states that players are allowed to use abilities and play cards in each fight round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I think he might be referring to the chart on the back of the rule book which says something to that effect. However the rules don't say that and I'm sure I've read the designer/FAQ on here contradict the one action only writing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Also, I've actually found that it is because we can help each other so much that the game gets too easy. If I can handle everything except 1 alien, then my friend may well.

Also, dropping the bases health to 10 per player may have meant that we lost 1 game??? Maybe, can't remember final scores

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
Helikoputtrik wrote:
XeyneGaming wrote:
Where is this rule in the rulebook? I can't find it. The combat rules explicitly states that players are allowed to use abilities and play cards in each fight round.

Maybe he means that when cards in play have actions printed on them, you can only activate those once per round (they don't refresh until all players have gone), not once per combat or once on each player's combat phase? Because that is both accurate and something I could see someone messing up.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
Ahh yes I see. Yes we are already only doing those once per round.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boo da
msg tools
Pretty much the same experience with only the base game. I've played twice and won both times. My friend who owns the game has played about 6 times has won every single time. We've looked through gameplay videos, the FAQs, and the forums without finding any explanation for why our sessions with the game seem so much easier. Mostly played with 3 players and even if we used the hardest difficulty for our base hp, we haven't lost.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Julian Wasson
United States
Washington
flag msg tools
DAD JOKES
badge
Never trot when you can prance.
mbmbmbmbmb
If you can get on top of it and keep a couple well-equipped troops in lane for a turn or two, that seems to be the deciding factor. Once you've got it in hand, it's kinda yours to lose but it's not guaranteed that you will ever be able to get those one or two good rounds to snowball. I find that games tend to either feel hopeless or easy, and I could see getting a streak one way or the other and feeling like it was too easy or too hard.

Also: Psych and Grafting make the game way easier. I didn't see it beforehand, but the first game I played with both of these, it was immediately apparent why: they increase the effectiveness cap of a single troop by effectively giving you two additional equipment slots. That means it's more likely your troops will survive between rounds, which makes it much easier to get to that state where you basically have it under control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
LOL! My son and I read the title to this thread and thought, "TOO EASY?!!?" We've gotten to phase 7. But we've only played a couple of times, so...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christopher Lester
United States
Texas
flag msg tools
mb
Festian wrote:
...we haven't lost.

Either you're doing something wrong, or we are. X)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
cklester wrote:
Festian wrote:
...we haven't lost.

Either you're doing something wrong, or we are. X)

Haha, yes my initial thoughts were that indeed.

However since I started this thread I have purchased the digital copy as well and it has confirmed we are playing correctly. I think we had played one item incorrectly in timing but had only used it in 1 game.

It's a great game, just hasn't been to cruel to us.......yet

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Simon Strange
United States
Eugene
Oregon
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
I've played 3 times, and won only once - our most recent play.

Interestingly, this third time we BREEZED through wave 3 - took almost no damage at all in any of the third rounds.

Wave 1 rounds have been, uniformly, rough but fair. A few base damage, but not scary. Even with a terrible setup, you can't fail too hard.

So in my (limited sample-size) experience, you really either pull it together during Wave 2, or you fall apart. You need the right mix of prevention & damage effects. That means a few weapons, some armor, some damage effects, and NOT drawing too many useless cards all at once. Getting a hand of 3 armor & 2 weapons is BAD.

But once you're at wave 3, the options become much more forgiving. You can ABSOLUTELY survive on wave 2 troops, and you can buy 2 or 3 of those a wave with no effort - and start returning key equipment to your hands.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I find that when people think something is too easy (especially a very difficult game), they are usually doing something wrong. It is hard to pinpoint without actually sitting next to them and watch them play.

If you are playing the base game with 2 or 3 people, and have won like 6 out of 6 games, or 10 out of 10, you are doing something wrong. Usually people just interpret something the way they think it should be played, and assume they're right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben W
Australia
flag msg tools
mbmb
I respectfully disagree with the last poster. We've had about 12 different people play it now across two different groups and found similar results. Also had different people who learnt the game seperately play it. Plus we've played both dreadmire and onslaught now and watched play throughs and played the app. So no, trust me when I say we have it correct.

That said, the game is very swingy with the different options available through expansions and KS exclusives. It's generally more difficult with base games and no expansions in general. We've had a few losses now but our win rate is really low.

Still it's fine if others find the game difficult, probably just a result of different players, experience and metas.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott

Wisconsin
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I will hedge a little on my first statement. It appears the game is much easier with 2+ people. It also is possible that I haven't figured out the best combination of items to do better. I still think the game is difficult, but I could see the game being "easy" if you always play with more players and have a good idea about what's coming and the best items to draw.

I still think with the random draws from your deck as well as the random items available each round, it should still be sufficiently challenging.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.