GeekGold Bonus for All Supporters at year's end: 1000!

9,667 Supporters

$15 min for supporter badge & GeekGold bonus
16 Days Left

Support:

Recommend
 Thumb up
 Hide
23 Posts

Codex: Card-Time Strategy – Deluxe Set» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Useless card ? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
http://codexcarddb.com/card/rickety_mine
⤵ → Gain ③ and flip a coin.
Heads: Phew!
Tails: Sacrifice Rickety Mine and your base takes 2 damage.

*Is there any good use for this card?
You pay 2 so that next turn you have 50% chance taking 1 gold or get 2 damages.
I think it is wasted card slot.

Please prove me wrong
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian K
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Do note that you get the 3 gold no matter if you flip heads or tail.

On avarage this building will give you 6 gold (assuming that it is not destroyed by your opponent). Is it worth 2 gold and one card to gain 6 gold and your base takes 2 damage? I don't know.

Do note that this card has a high variance (sometimes if gives just 3 gold, sometimes 12 gold), so if you feel that your game is not going that well, you may want to take a chance on this high risk card
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Achim Zien
Germany
Oldenburg
flag msg tools
designer
badge
There's a theory: if ever anyone discovers exactly what the Universe is for and why it is here, it will instantly disappear and be replaced by something even more bizarre and inexplicable. There's another theory: this has already happened.
mbmbmbmbmb
Also note that you can choose when you want to activate the mine.

Choked on cards? Don't mine!
Choked on gold? Mine!
Need a lot of gold for next turn? Mine and hope it will see another turn!
Finally: Base has 1HP or 2HP? Maybe don't mine!

I still think that it is a very risky card (as any blood card usually is) and I have not found use in it, yet. But I can see that it could potentially have its use (cautiously speaking [which, in turn, isn't very Blood]).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Seems like one of the worst cards in the game to me also. So I think you are right and would also be happy to be proven wrong.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
MVashM wrote:
http://codexcarddb.com/card/rickety_mine
⤵ → Gain ③ and flip a coin.
Heads: Phew!
Tails: Sacrifice Rickety Mine and your base takes 2 damage.

*Is there any good use for this card?
You pay 2 so that next turn you have 50% chance taking 1 gold or get 2 damages.
I think it is wasted card slot.

Please prove me wrong

You pay 2 to get 3 next turn. And then you have 50% chance to get another 3 or 2 damage.

So you take 2 damage no matter what, but you might end up with a net worth of 1 gold or 4 gold or 7 gold or 10 gold, etc.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Andersen
United States
Berrien Springs
Michigan
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I wouldn't go as far to say it is useless, but it is unpredictable for sure. If it lasts after several turns and uses it could really swing things to your favor, if it dies immediately it could prove to be fatal. It is a swingy card that will probably get overlooked by the vast majority of players.

You might want to try forcing yourself to play it in several games to see how it works out for you.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
I guess it's also about thinning your deck, since the mine won't go back into your deck either way?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Churchill
United Kingdom
Cambridge
Cambs
flag msg tools
designer
"If we knew what we were building, it wouldn't be called research!"
badge
Sufficiently advanced mathematics is indistinguishable from magic
mbmbmbmbmb
That's true, but a flip side of that is that the Mine, if you tech it in on the first or second turn, is taking up a space in your deck that could have been taken by a powerful spell or Tech I card. That's the biggest drawback to the Mine: if you could have it as one of your 10 starter cards then sure, play it, no problem. But the opportunity cost of teching it in over something more reliably high-impact is quite significant.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
haslo wrote:
I guess it's also about thinning your deck, since the mine won't go back into your deck either way?

Sacrificing something put it in your discard.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brian
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not a fan of coin flipping mechanics. I blame it on the years of playing Pokémon TCG.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
PiHalbe wrote:

I don't get it, why would you ever not want to activate the mine once it's been played? It seems the only way to make this card possibly worth it is to use it as many times as possible
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:

I don't get it, why would you ever not want to activate the mine once it's been played? It seems the only way to make this card possibly worth it is to use it as many times as possible

Because it remove a card from your deck, allowing to cycle faster to the cards you want. Basically it is equivalent of "Pay 2 gold, trash a card from your deck".

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It's definitely not a great card. If it succeeds twice, you net 4 Gold, but it is a gamble. And there are definitely more secure options of accumulating funds (Even in Red). It can provide large burst of money, but it is very risky, which is actually very thematic to the faction.

Now, as far as its existence, it's one of those cards that only exists to satisfy players who like to add a gambling element to their games. Since there are a lot of other options to play card wise, it is definitely not necessary to use it. It's more of a filler card that could possible have some sort of use. I'm sure each faction has at least 1 card with more limited uses.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
K
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
SirHandsome wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:

Because it remove a card from your deck, allowing to cycle faster to the cards you want. Basically it is equivalent of "Pay 2 gold, trash a card from your deck".

I don't believe that that makes it worth it to ever play it and not use it. I think if you play this card you want to milk it for as much gold as it will let you, period

1) ANY card you play thins your deck, until it is destroyed. So if you play and pay for this card over others, it's because you want money. You are using a powerful tech slot for it.

2) Deck thinning is most effective on a high-quality deck. Rickety Mine is an early game card, and Tech 1s tend to be so, so much better than Tech 0s -- so instead of teching a bad card to thin your still low quality deck in the early game, tech another card you actually want and improve the quality of your deck

I tried Rickety Mine on my first few Red games, and started winning when I stopped trying to use it
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jonathan Maisonneuve
Canada
Quebec
Quebec
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
SirHandsome wrote:
Wildhorn wrote:
SirHandsome wrote:
PiHalbe wrote:

I don't believe that that makes it worth it to ever play it and not use it. I think if you play this card you want to milk it for as much gold as it will let you, period

1) ANY card you play thins your deck, until it is destroyed. So if you play and pay for a card, it's better to get as much use out of it as possible, especially if you are using a powerful tech slot for it.

2) Deck thinning is most effective on a high-quality deck. Rickety Mine is an early game card, and Tech 1s tend to be so, so much better than Tech 0s -- so instead of teching a bad card to thin your still low quality deck in the early game, tech another card you actually want and improve the quality of your deck

I tried Rickety Mine on my first few Red games, and started winning when I stopped trying to use it

If you project to use it to thin your deck, you of course don't tech them as your first cards. You do it for like the 4th or 5th teching.

While it is true everything thin your deck until it get destroyed, this only cost 2 gold and if your opponent waste gold and ressources to get ride of a card that basically does nothing on the board, you end up in a winning position.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joshua Christensen
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd say the biggest drawback of Rickety Mine is it requires you to touch dirty germy money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Purple Octopus
msg tools
ClanNatioy wrote:
I'd say the biggest drawback of Rickety Mine is it requires you to touch dirty germy money.

There's an app for that. I'm not going to touch money like a goddamn peasant.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Guido Gloor
Switzerland
Ostermundigen
Bern
flag msg tools
The statement below is false.
badge
The statement above is correct.
mbmbmbmbmb
Wildhorn wrote:
haslo wrote:

Sacrificing something put it in your discard.

Ooh, played that wrong. It's just workers that are destroyed when sacrificed. Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Sirlin
United States
California
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
King of Odonata wrote:

Now, as far as its existence, it's one of those cards that only exists to satisfy players who like to add a gambling element to their games.

I just wanted to clarify that this is not why it exists. For years of development, this card gave money in a non-random way. The reason it exists is to give gold acceleration (with a drawback) that allows the red player to play even more explosive stuff than usual on future turns, with a slight extra boost from temporary deck thinning.

After years of people asking "is this card random yet?", we finally did it. It was a flavor failure for years that it played like "carefully planned collapsing mine" because you knew exactly how long it would last and exactly when it would be destroyed. It just never felt like "Rickety Mine" when it was non-random. So FINALLY after this coming up like dozens of times, I changed it to the current form which, amazingly, has exactly the same expected value of gold gains as it always had.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Hauge
United States
Manassas
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, this seems like a fun card and potentially an effective card for players who like to live on the edge. If you win one coinflip with this card, you just got 4 gold for free, which is nuts. (You're Red, so you probably don't care about your base health.)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Travis Schneider
United States
Louisville
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Sirlin wrote:
King of Odonata wrote:

Now, as far as its existence, it's one of those cards that only exists to satisfy players who like to add a gambling element to their games.

I just wanted to clarify that this is not why it exists. For years of development, this card gave money in a non-random way. The reason it exists is to give gold acceleration (with a drawback) that allows the red player to play even more explosive stuff than usual on future turns, with a slight extra boost from temporary deck thinning.

After years of people asking "is this card random yet?", we finally did it. It was a flavor failure for years that it played like "carefully planned collapsing mine" because you knew exactly how long it would last and exactly when it would be destroyed. It just never felt like "Rickety Mine" when it was non-random. So FINALLY after this coming up like dozens of times, I changed it to the current form which, amazingly, has exactly the same expected value of gold gains as it always had.

My apologies for making that assumption. I assumed that since the card seemed unreliable it was more for those that like to push their luck. I do wonder how often people use the card in their decks and if there is something I was missing as far as it being stronger than I had thought. I've never wanted to use it as it seemed I would have rather drawn other cards or used other means to gain money.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Vash TheStampede
Saudi Arabia
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
This card struck me because it was the only one I found that is based on luck. Coin flipping is not a part of this game except for this card afaik.

Thinking back, when I won with red, there was usually enough of my base health to risk using the mine.

I still would be hesitant to use it, the expected gain is not worth teching it when I have other options in the the codex.
For example
Red's shoddy gliders & sharks.
They are soooooo much fun!!! <3

http://codexcarddb.com/card/shoddy_glider

http://codexcarddb.com/card/surprise_attack

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rabid Schnauzer
msg tools
The upside of Rickety Mine is that the good case is surprisingly good, gaining you notable gold if you win even one coin flip and on top of that it's a building that doesn't require you to spec a particular Tech II -- so if you are going for board sweeps with Maxmimum Anarchy or Judgement Day or somesuch, it's an "advantage" that stays in play.

The downside is that it has a 50% chance of being exceedingly poor value. In the bad case, you spend a tech selection, 2 gold and a card (and the play of that card from hand for things like Censorship Council) then you wait a turn (giving your opponent a window to destroy or Assimilate the mine) in order to gain three gold at a cost of 2 damage. That case is weak enough to be not-quite useless, but what I would evaluate as "really niche".

Personally I would be more inclined to tech in Rickety Mine if the collapse could be used to trigger other happen-on-death effects like Bloodburn, Captured Bugblatter and Corpse Catapult....but wording to allow that would have been problematic.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.