Yokai Battle» Forums » Rules

Subject: Doubts after my first game rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fabio Piovesan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
- Players have to spend their chakra points (CPs) to either summon their monsters or to attack enemy monsters with the ones they have previously summoned.
I can't summon a monster and attack with it or with others in the same turn, right? I can spend a turn to summon or to attack, but not both, right?
Example. First round, I'm the second player, "2" is under the needle on the chakra meter. I spend 1 CP summoning Katakirauwa on a terrain card adjacent to an enemy monster. Does the summoning attack cost the other 1 CP or is included in the summoning cost?

- After you’ve summoned your 5th monster, it either survives and its player wins the game, or dies and the game continues.
"After" means "at the end of my turn"? of the round? If I am the first player, do I have to wait until the end of the round? If I am the last one, do I have to wait until the end of my turn?

- Force the opposing players to draw a card when their deck is empty.
In a 4 players game, 1 opposing player is enough to win? How can I force him?

- Each player has a set of 4 life-counter discs that matches the color of his deck.
But to win I must summon 5 monsters: is the 5th one discless?

- A player can use any of his monsters to launch further attacks after a summoning attack, even in the same turn.
Can you elaborate "summoning attack"?

- A monster retaliates each time it is attacked.
With no cost in chackra points, right? The attacking player pays CP, the defending one doesn't.

- Earth ability: Each time it fights, decrease the APs of an enemy monster by 1.
Each time I fight means both when I attack and when I defend?

- Wood ability: When killed, prohibit an opposing player from drawing cards. Its effect is restricted to the opposing player’s next turn.
I'm the active player. I kill a monster with this ability. If its owner chooses me, do I have to skip drawing at the end of this turn or the next?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Johnson

Athens
Ohio
msg tools
mbmbmb
fabiofiol wrote:

I can't summon a monster and attack with it or with others in the same turn, right? I can spend a turn to summon or to attack, but not both, right?

From my understanding, a monster automatically attacks when summoned, regardless of if you want it to or not.

fabiofiol wrote:

- After you’ve summoned your 5th monster, it either survives and its player wins the game, or dies and the game continues.
"After" means "at the end of my turn"? of the round? If I am the first player, do I have to wait until the end of the round? If I am the last one, do I have to wait until the end of my turn?

From my understanding, if it survives after resolving any mandatory attack after being placed on the board,you immediately win.

fabiofiol wrote:

- Force the opposing players to draw a card when their deck is empty.
In a 4 players game, 1 opposing player is enough to win? How can I force him?

I think one is enough.

fabiofiol wrote:

- Each player has a set of 4 life-counter discs that matches the color of his deck.

This is what makes me believe that you win immediately if your 5th monster survives after being summoned. If it survives and you win, there's no need to place a disc. If it dies when being placed, there's no need for a disc.

fabiofiol wrote:

- A player can use any of his monsters to launch further attacks after a summoning attack, even in the same turn.

Summon attack is the automatic attack that occurs when you place a monster

fabiofiol wrote:

- A monster retaliates each time it is attacked.
With no cost in chackra points, right? The attacking player pays CP, the defending one doesn't.

Right.

fabiofiol wrote:

- Earth ability: Each time it fights, decrease the APs of an enemy monster by 1.

Not sure on this one.

fabiofiol wrote:

- Wood ability: When killed, prohibit an opposing player from drawing cards. Its effect is restricted to the opposing player’s next turn.
I'm the active player. I kill a monster with this ability. If its owner chooses me, do I have to skip drawing at the end of this turn or the next?

The rules as written suggest you wait until your NEXT turn, but the rules are not particularly clear or well written in general. I think this is just another confusing moment in the text. It's easier to just play as "This effect is restricted to the next time an opposing player draws cards."

We enjoyed the game when we played, but some enjoyment was definitely hampered by the rulebook. This is not a complex game, but the rules are kind of a mess. I hope the designer releases a FAQ to clear up some of the confusion and ambiguities!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Léon Nguyen
msg tools
designer
Hi everyone!

QUESTION:
Players have to spend their chakra points (CPs) to either summon their monsters or to attack enemy monsters with the ones they have previously summoned.
Doubt:
Response:
On their turn, players can:
- summon a new monster (And that will trigger a summoning attack)
- attack with any monster that has been already summoned
As long as they have enough chakra point to spend.

Please refer to p.11 of the rulebook, “Attacks & retaliation after summoning”

Example:
First round, I'm the second player, "2" is under the needle on the chakra meter. I spend 1 CP summoning Katakirauwa on a terrain card adjacent to an enemy monster. Does the summoning attack cost the other 1 CP or is included in the summoning cost?
Can I summon-attack-summon?
Response:
As mentioned in the rulebook:
“Placing a monster on a terrain card is called a summoning. To summon a monster, players must first pay the cost of summoning in chakra points (CPs).”. This cost is indicated on the top left hand corner.
“A monster summoned next to one or more enemy monsters must pick one of them and attack it. The attacked monster immediately retaliates.”
THEN, if you want to further attack an enemy monster, you may pay the cost related to the side used for attacking this monster.

Please refer to p.11 of the rulebook, “Summoned monsters' attack and retaliation”

QUESTION:
If I summon a monster adjacent to one enemy, do I have to perform a "summoning attack" or can I decide not to?
Response:
Players HAVE to perform the summoning attack, except if an ability is applied and decides otherwise.

QUESTION:
After you’ve summoned your 5th monster, it either survives and its player wins the game, or dies and the game continues.
Doubt:
Response:
“After” means "right after the monster has been summoned. If the monster is still alive after having being summoned (including the attack & retaliation phase that are part of the summoning), the player wins the game.

Please refer to p.3 of the rulebook, “How to win?”

QUESTION:
If I summon the 5th monster not adjacent to any enemy, am I automatically the winner?
Response:
Yes, if there's a free tile somewhere, use it to win without fighting the enemy.

QUESTION:
Force the opposing players to draw a card when their deck is empty.
Doubt:
In a 4 players game, 1 opposing player is enough? How can I force him?
Response:
When playing with several players, the one that cannot draw any more cards because of an empty deck loses the game but the other players still can play.
Players can’t be really “forced” to draw a card when their deck is empty, it’s more the number of cards they play on their turn that makes the difference.

QUESTION:
Each player has a set of 4 life-counter discs that matches the color of his deck.
Doubt:
Response:
Yes, the 5th monster has no disc, as you can easily calculate if it dies or stayl alive after its summoning (if the monster is still alive, the player win the game, so there's no disc needed)

QUESTION:
A player can use any of his monsters to launch further attacks after a summoning attack, even in the same turn.
Doubt:
Response:
A summoning attack is automatically launched when a monster is summoned next to an enemy monster (except if an ability says otherwise). When a monster is summoned, it goes through the attack and retaliation phases (see summary cards)

Please refer to p.11 of the rulebook, “Summoned monsters' attack and retaliation”

QUESTION:
A monster retaliates each time it is attacked.
Doubt:
Response:
Absolutely. At no cost

QUESTION:
Earth ability: Each time it fights, decrease the APs of an enemy monster by 1.
Doubt:
Response:
Yes, that’s right.

QUESTION:
Wood ability: When killed, prohibit an opposing player from drawing cards. Its effect is restricted to the opposing player’s next turn.
Doubt:
Response:
As the players draw cards at the end of their turn, the one that is chosen to bear the effect cannot draw any cards at the end of his or her NEXT turn (He or she ends THIS turn by drawing a card)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fabio Piovesan
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks Léon for your complete answer!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.