$20.00
$15.00
$5.00
Based upon my poor understanding of history, science, and ethics...
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
Is no longer the shortest unit of time that has been measured.

Zeptosecond.

How quick is it?

http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/physicists-record-s...

Don’t even try to capture a zeptosecond using a run-of-the-mill stopwatch. This tiny slice of time is a fraction of a second—so small it is equal to a single number one sitting 21 places behind the decimal point, a trillionth of a billionth of a second​, reports Rebecca Boyle at New Scientist. And researchers at the Max Plank Institute in Germany finally measured minute changes within an atom on the zeptosecond scale.

The researchers accomplished this feat while studying the so-called photoelectric effect in action. Albert Einstein described this tricky quirk of light in 1905, later winning the Nobel Prize in Physics for his explanation of this defining concept. The photoelectric effect shows that light can act as both a wave and a particle. When a photon, or a particle of light, of a certain energy strikes an electron, it can free the electron from its atom. The photon ejects the electron in a process called photoemission, the basis behind solar energy.

Read more: http://www.smithsonianmag.com/smart-news/physicists-record-s...
Give the gift of Smithsonian magazine for only $12! http://bit.ly/1cGUiGv
Follow us: @SmithsonianMag on Twitter
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So is Usain bolt a Zeptomaniac?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
Koldfoot wrote:
This tiny slice of time is a fraction of a second—so small it is equal to a single number one sitting 21 places behind the decimal point, a trillionth of a billionth of a second​, reports Rebecca Boyle at New Scientist.

Is that a British billionth or an American billionth? Cos there is a very big difference!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mb
That's practically tortoise-like. In the old days, back when he was the GOD of burrito-ingestion, Rudy aka THE TICK would thumb posts BEFORE you even posted. Once, after waking up, I decided to post on Chit Chat. I opened my laptop and, while waiting for it to boot up, decided to brush my teeth first. Lo and behold, I felt his thumb before I was done spitting out the toothpaste. Amazing.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
TonyKR
United States
Portland
Oregon
flag msg tools
futhee wrote:
Lo and behold, I felt his thumb before I was done spitting out the toothpaste.

Sorry, that's a sentence that simply needs to be quoted out of context.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dennis Ku
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
Lola Cat 2010-2014
mb
Pugnax555 wrote:
futhee wrote:
Lo and behold, I felt his thumb before I was done spitting out the toothpaste.

Sorry, that's a sentence that simply needs to be quoted out of context.

How do you know that's not what I meant?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.