Popular Tags: [View All]
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
Second session of our family campaign. Väinö (10y) did the setup with minimal help, just to see if it can be done and it clearly can be. He needed help with about 4-5 words and rest he was able to translate correctly. As parents we felt really proud of his constantly
improving english skills.

Väinö also selected our Heroes after a brief pre-game tactics session. We
decided that we would prefer to get all three treasures (which isn’t easy, we assumed) and certainly would require fast Heroes.

So Väinö chose that we’ll have Bastian (Tinsku), Simma (me) and Elisa and Niffil for Väinö.

Niffil and Elisa went for the treasure at the top of the huge dwarven machine (cliff), where as Bastian cleared the way for Simma (who was lucky to have “Squeeze” which allowed moving through Bastian).

After three rounds we had two out of the three Treasures (2 pieces of Wyrmandalus, which neither of the founders actually knew how to use (and we forget to give the one Niffil found to Elisa, who was side-by-side
for a brief instant when Niffil made tactical retreat.)

We got even the third treasure when Elisa first blinked behind most enemies and casted a fireball in their midst, grilling an acolyte, rotikka, bone worm and wounding a guard. That was well spent points, even as it required some aiding. Then it was easy for Simma to just run to the last treasure and with a little “prayers", it was relatively easy to open.

We felt that we’ve played really well, Niffil exited on a round where we (wrongly) calculated that all could likely escape. And then enemy got “5”. Double movement, double attack and a spawn. Elisa was wounded twice and
third (deadly) hit was really close by. Bastian managed to execute the acolyte by the door (which the acolyte had already opened) leading to the “acolyte exit”.

For the weirdest reason Simma never saw the healing cards of his which would have been useful to heal the “amputation” away from Niffil (and theoretically the two new wounds of Elisa).

But in the end two wounds for three (good) treasures was not bad at all. The last treasures was “Warp stone”, which is very handy for Simma and Elisa is now nicely boosted with 2 pieces of Wyrmdandalus adding her Attack AND AP by +1.

After setup was done, we played 2h 45 minutes, out of which we had 30 min food break in the middle.

It was also really great to notice that we managed to play without quarterbacking. There was a discussion on
what should we do after most enemy turns, which was really needed. The co-ordination required that everyone gave their opinion. What I noticed the best that Väinö had sometimes rather different plan ideas (fresh) than I or Tinsku and often those gave advantages. Clearly PM is a game, where you really need to co-operate and get everyones feedback - quarterbacks be warned ;=)

We had to check two things from rulebook (just to confirm):
* What is the default state of a door? (closed, but not locked)
* What happens if you banish someone down from a cliff (a hit point of damage - but we didn’t manage to do it, in the end).

In the after game discussion everyone were happy of the outcome, but having already four wounds in total is certainly going to come back - one day - sooner or later. We have to find a scenario where we can just stop and heal all wounds away, but it isn’t going to be easy.

We also, on purpose, didn’t spawn any Summoners (one came from Reserve to primary) as those are seriously scary fellows which are hard to kill.

More will follow.

- Timo, Tinsku & Väinö
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Raegan Ray-gun
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
I always like reading a good session report! It's good to know that the game is also easy enough to play that you can play it with family members. I think some pictures would help your session reports flow a bit better though?

Also, minor extra question: what difficulty did you design the game around? Hard or normal?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Timo Multamäki
Finland
ASKA
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmb
We did the normal first. Hard is then a byproduct

I'll try to find means to take pics next time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.