Popular Tags: [View All]
Bryan Gerding
Poland
Łódź
łódzkie
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife and I have been playing a lot of two player games of this and both of us have been avoiding the animals. They seem like a lot of actions for less overall benefit.

We are only using the A deck but plan to move to B deck next game.

Question: How good is it to get animals early on if your cards don't provide bonuses for them?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Torben
Germany
Gönnheim
Rheinland-Pfalz
flag msg tools
badge
This is a sloth. It accurately represents my style of life.
mbmbmbmbmb
When my girlfriend played for the first time she bred a lot of animals and in the end game batch-processed them to goods and covered tons of spaces and won.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Annemarie Post
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I have been avoiding animals for a while for the same reason, but when I tried a game with animals I was impressed. I would encourage you to just try it sometime.

One hint: don't wait to long. If you manage to get 2 animals in the first 2 rounds, they'll give you 2 new animals after round 4 and 6. Then in the last round you can trade 4 animals in for green or blue goods, which is 24-48 spaces covered on your home board.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Animals can be beneficial if you can get them as early as possible, because they provide 2x4 or 3x4 good tiles, they are selfreplicating, they can generate small good tiles (2x2) which can be used for other things (e.g. lots of milk during feasts, wool --> garments, etc), and you can trade them in the last round to cover a lot of space on your home- and exploration boards. And now imagine you draw the right profession cards.
If there was a row for "points I made with animals as goods" on the score sheet, it would be more obvious that animals are a viable strategy.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Larkin
England
Brighton
Sussex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
We missed that you could "upgrade" animal tiles initially, without that they are not good, but upgraded they cover a lot of space
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Germany
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
A good strategy would aim for a variety of green goods because of the cheap upgrade action (any different green goods to blue). You can get a variety of red and green goods with whaling and hunting as well as with animal breeding and getting animal products.

Tom Heath has demonstrated this in his latest playthrough:
https://boardgamegeek.com/video/117890/feast-odin/feast-odin...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark C.
United States
Ladera Ranch
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Where in the rulebook does it talk about upgrading animal tiles?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
GAF Blizzard
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
bankerboymark wrote:

It doesn't make it explicit, but it's been confirmed officially on the Rules forum. Animal tiles work as normal food tiles -- you can Feast or upgrade them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phillip Wood
New Zealand
Auckland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
GAFBlizzard wrote:
bankerboymark wrote:

It doesn't make it explicit, but it's been confirmed officially on the Rules forum. Animal tiles work as normal food tiles -- you can Feast or upgrade them.

The way I see it is - if they hadn't meant to be upgraded they wouldn't have made them red - they would have been another (unused) colour.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.