mortego
United States
New Kensington
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Poll
How important is it to that you sleeve your cards for your games?
Very Important
Important
Eh, sometimes it is and sometimes it's isn't (depends on the game)
Not Important
Sooooooo, not important
Once again none of the above fits my answer
I like Bacon Sleeves!
      531 answers
Poll created by killerjoe1962

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb

Waaay high importance ... not to.

(Once again none of the above fits my answer ?)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I am Abomination
France
flag msg tools
The Orzhov welcome you. Please leave your belongings with the Obzedat. They are not yours anymore.
badge
Hi, I'm a european crested tit, and a very small punk rocker!
mbmbmbmbmb
What, another thread about sleeving?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bruce Gazdecki
United States
Lindsey
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve almost everything. I actually like the feeling of cards in sleeves more.

But I'm weird, and that's ok.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric Matthews
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I only sleeve if the games card stock is crap, or if there is some other specific reason the game needs it. Otherwise I prefer the texture and even the wear on cards of beloved games.

Example: Mascarade has very dark backed cards which show finngerprints in the right light, and since it's a single card in your hand game it's critical that cards don't show marks. Also it's the kind of game that we'll be played at cons or bars with food and drink around.

E

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tom
United States
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I would VASTLY prefer that card game companies produce plastic cards instead of paper cards. The next best alternative is sleeving. I would be willing to pay another five to ten dollars per game in order to get plastic cards, if that were an option.

The main objection that I heard, when I brought this up in the Marvel Legendary Forum, is that there are some, maybe even a lot, of players that like making their own cards, and would find it more difficult (costly) to do, if they had to do it with plastic cards. My response to that objection is the playing card companies could offer a basic version in paper cards, and a deluxe version in plastic cards.

I know, I am dreaming.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robbert Vervuurt
Denmark
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Not important. Games are to be played and that means they'll be used.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexandra M
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've never, ever, sleeved a card.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
A Deal with Death
United States
North Carolina
flag msg tools
badge
My clue's pointing this way...
mbmbmbmbmb
Party games that are played with liberal amount of Cheetos and alcohol will always be sleeved
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Taken from my reply in this thread:

I have waaaay too many cards in sleeves (I started from a position of pretty much sleeving everything and have gradually moved away from it) and I've slowly come around to the opinion that you need to sleeve if and only if the following four conditions are true:

a.) Card identity is absolutely critical

b.) Card quality or print quality is sufficiently low that the backs will easily develop identifying marks

c.) The game is sufficiently expensive (or rare) that the cards themselves can't be replaced trivially (e.g. it's not much more money to buy Love Letter, or one of the expansions for Ticket to Ride that contain fresh decks, than it is to sleeve the cards initially -- and neither of these is going out of print any time soon, so don't bother).

d.) The cards are of such a weird size that you can't buy opaque-backed sleeves to retrospectively cover-up any marks that do develop.

There are pretty much no sleeves on the market that do not cause cards to slip-slide over each other when freshly sleeved (this can assist with riffle shuffles, actually ...), and likewise there are no sleeves that don't develop the opposite problem (finger grease and body moisture causing sleeves to stick to each other). Even the thinnest sleeves will thicken up a deck considerably -- which can be a problem if there are a lot of cards in a given game (and the thinner ones also tend to suffer more from the grease/condensation stickiness). You can work around all of these issues -- they're not "fun-enders" -- but people envision sleeves as being a one-shot solution when they often introduce as much annoyance as they solve. When you're going through the deck from King of Tokyo for the third time with a micro-fibre duster getting rid of the surface grease/moisture so the cards don't stick together is round about the point where you go, "F*%k this noise", and realize the game functions perfectly fine without them (the card identities aren't as critical as in a game like poker, or something with Traitors, and even in the worst-case scenario it's not that expensive to replace).

I'm not saying they don't have a place, but don't do as I initially did and end up on a charge to sleeve anything that looked like it might need it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Loud smoker
United Kingdom
London
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
before one of my game goes on the table Must be sleeved or no game .
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tomello Visello
United States
Reston
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Loudsmoker wrote:
before one of my game goes on, the table Must be sleeved or no game .

A simple comma opens up interesting possibilities.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I tried sleeving and it takes all the joy out of handling and shuffling cards. Never again, games are for fun, not to admire, sure, they get beat up in time, but so what. The only game I have sleeved is love letter, and that's because I travel with it and play in some strange situations/places.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barbara Belšak
Slovenia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to sleeve cards in games with hidden roles, so there wouldn't be any identifying marks on role cards, and games with cards that have a black edge, because that could show wear very quickly.
Just last week I reached a tipping point and got rid of (almost*) all of the sleeves. The cons just outweighed the pros. Here are my reasons for doing this:
- I prefer the feel of cards in my hands and dislike the plastic feel of sleeves, cheap or premium
- as many said before me, games are meant to be played all the rough edges on components are just a sign the game is loved and gets played
- I hated shuffling sleeved cards and having a stack of sleeved cards topple over across the table multiple times during play just got annoying
- cheaper sleeves would start to stick together and make shuffling even harder
- sleeved cards wouldn't fit in the original insert
- I would rather get a small card game for the money I used to sleeve one game with a normal amount of cards
- I mainly play games with my boyfriend and once in a while we get together with some friends and have a game night. Games aren't played that often that they would wear out that fast. And we all take care of cards and other components and still get to enjoy gamenight with snacks and drinks.

The only games I am forced to sleeve are Imperial Settlers, Takenoko and the treasure cards of Jamaica. The cards from expansions/promos have a diferent corner shape and bunch themselves together during shuffling. I realised sleeving them solves this problem and now use normal quality sleeves on them.
Oh and Star Realms, the only deckbuilder I own. Because of all the shuffling and the black bordered cards I decided to get the original Star Realms sleeves.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Joe Huber

Westborough
Massachusetts
msg tools
None of the answers really fits; I hate sleeves, and it's important to me not to have sleeved cards. When we started to play a game this weekend only to discover that the cards had been sleeved, we put it away and pulled out my copy instead. In trades, I consider sleeved cards to be a mild negative (since I'll have to spend the time to unsleeve them).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Williams
Wales
Ammanford
Carmarthenshire
flag msg tools
mb
I love sleeves, and used to sleeve every card in every game. Nowadays, it's become a little expensive, a little too much bother, and I've had a couple of unsleevable games that have made me less fearful. So I'll sleeve most of my games, but leave the cheap ones as they are.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Razoupaf wrote:
It's armless.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert
Canada
Ottawa
ON
flag msg tools
Why did Dracula become a bank? To deal with suckers every day!
mbmbmbmbmb
I sleeve nearly everything I can but I would prefer not to. I love the feeling of linen finishes and the sound of shuffling cards.

One of the people I play games with is a heavy smoker. After playing with him one night, I realized that my fingers smelled strongly of his cigarettes.

I also play games with kids and my students, and if you don't have kids, you should know that they can be fairly disgusting.

Games are kind of like my car in the sense that I've spent too much money on them. I wash and wax my car to keep it from deteriorating. Why wouldn't I similarly protect my other investments?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jim Carvin
United States
Hamburg
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
For me it depends on how much usage the game gets and how much the cards are handled. I like a game to look a little played but not to have the cards wearing out.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
Razoupaf wrote:

You're damn right its another thread about sleeving. devil
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Redford
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rvervuurt wrote:

Couldn't you also say "sleeves are meant to sleeve things"? And if a game is being sleeved, doesn't that mean it's getting used? I don't know how many people are sleeving games they don't want to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
None of your business

Pennsylvania
msg tools
mb
DoomTurtle wrote:
rvervuurt wrote:

Couldn't you also say "sleeves are meant to sleeve things"? And if a game is being sleeved, doesn't that mean it's getting used? I don't know how many people are sleeving games they don't want to play.

Spoken like a true sleever!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
huber wrote:
None of the answers really fits; I hate sleeves, and it's important to me not to have sleeved cards. When we started to play a game this weekend only to discover that the cards had been sleeved, we put it away and pulled out my copy instead. In trades, I consider sleeved cards to be a mild negative (since I'll have to spend the time to unsleeve them).

I've only sleeved a game once, never again. Shuffles were like wrangling a bunch of slippery eels, stacks of card skittered about like toddlers on Sunny Delight, people had to peer at the cards at odd angles to prevent glare from our table lighting obscuring the information. I'm all for protecting games from calamitous accidents, but wear-and-tear is just a fact of time's arrow. Entropy gets everyone and everything in the end!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Coniff
United States
Springfield
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
"Behold, a treasure more valuable than gold."
mbmbmbmbmb
I only sleeve Magic: The Gathering cards due to their individual rarity. Of course I could be overlooking the fact that a dear game I like may go out of print and thus make it exceedingly difficult to buy replacement cards, but I don't know that that will really happen for me.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Lane
United States
Saint Paul
Minnesota
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I never used to sleeve anything other than my Magic decks (because of high use and value) until I went to a meetup just after GenCon with a "new hotness" title. I had just picked up something I knew people wanted to play and was super eager to show everyone. A new player showed up and asked to join which we were totally happy to have him. Then I saw that his hands were positively filthy as he had just come from working on his car an hour prior. I asked him politely to wash, which he did gladly. Of course it's hard to get motor oil and grease out of your hands completely without multiple tries and he still managed to smudge on cards. Not only that but he rough handled and bent a couple of them to boot.

So not only did it open my eyes to the power of sleeving(a sleeve is cheaper to replace than the card), but I believe presents a non-verbal queue to new players that you want to keep your game safe and clean. I've had people change behaviors of how they handle cards based on seeing they are sleeved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.