Arkham Horror: The Card Game» Forums » General

Subject: Investigator Stats in Core vs Expansion rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Has anyone else noticed that for all Investigators their base stats always add up to 12, so that they are a distribution of the same number of points just in different amounts depending on what their strengths and weaknesses are? Which makes sense for balance.

But also that health + sanity = 14 for ALL core set Investigators, yet for the ones in the Expansion that we have seen, they add up to 15. Like they are just that little bit tougher overall.

That makes Jenny Barnes the all-round "vanilla" test with 3,3,3,3 stats and 8/7 health/sanity

Or is this just me?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Yes.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
That is indeed how it is.

Dunwitch though I think are only 5 cards or so out of main faction color. I know they had a article on it, where all expansion characters are more mono colored decks then multi color. So I can see why they have 1 more wound/sanity then the flexible core characters.

They did something very close to this for LOTR LCG. All the heroes stats+health totaled their Threat value you start the game with. higher stats=more threat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
scourn1 wrote:

Dunwitch though I think are only 5 cards or so out of main faction color. I know they had a article on it, where all expansion characters are more mono colored decks then multi color. So I can see why they have 1 more wound/sanity then the flexible core characters.

They did something very close to this for LOTR LCG. All the heroes stats+health totaled their Threat value you start the game with. higher stats=more threat.

Each of the Dunwich investigators can include up to 5 level 0 cards from any of the other classes. So I guess the extra health/horror point is meant to offset the fact that Core investigators can potentially have stronger decks (they can go up to level 2 for their secondary class).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
scourn1 wrote:

Each of the Dunwich investigators can include up to 5 level 0 cards from any of the other classes. So I guess the extra health/horror point is meant to offset the fact that Core investigators can potentially have stronger decks (they can go up to level 2 for their secondary class).

Or, it's possible the power creep is starting early...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Boeren
United States
Marietta
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The second wave investigators have slightly better stats but more limited card pools.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Xavier Domínguez
msg tools
dboeren wrote:
The second wave investigators have slightly better stats but more limited card pools.

But is that true? You lose the access to level 1-2 cards from your secondary class but gain access to all level 0 cards. I think the card pool is quite bigger for them, not smaller.

What's more limited is the number of out of class cards they can use, only 5, but I don't think that justifies the slightly better stats as it compensates out from having access to a wider card pool.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
x_chan wrote:
But is that true? You lose the access to level 1-2 cards from your secondary class but gain access to all level 0 cards. I think the card pool is quite bigger for them, not smaller.

What's more limited is the number of out of class cards they can use, only 5, but I don't think that justifies the slightly better stats as it compensates out from having access to a wider card pool.

It's too soon to tell, but it seems likely that being able to upgrade only the main Class will make a difference around Scenario #5 of an extended Campaign. Some of those Level One and Two upgrades could be very helpful.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
The leveled up cards are all significantly powerful. I do think it's a downside only having access to one factions leveled up cards. How much of a downside remains to be seen, but in a longer campaign it feels like you will be able to put together some pretty effective combos of these leveled up cards. That said note that the weaknesses on these new investigators are all pretty harsh. Rex's is awful and it sticks around. Jim's is amazingly self destructive. Jenny's requires her to make her way across the board, which in a scenario like scenario 2 of the core is pretty crippling.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Itai Rosenbaum
Israel
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
phillosmaster wrote:
Jenny's requires her to make her way across the board, which in a scenario like scenario 2 of the core is pretty crippling.

Here's what I wonder - it does not explicitly state that Jenny has to go find her sister. It just says that the Weakness attaches to the location furthest from Jenny, and then for a double-action investigation test you can discard it.

In solo - yeah, it's murder. But in multiplayer, it may not be as big a deal, as other investigators may already be spread across the map (which is something you can plan for if Jenny's in the game)...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Wallace-Moyer
United States
Lebanon
New Hampshire
flag msg tools
mbmbmb
IronSyndicate wrote:
Here's what I wonder - it does not explicitly state that Jenny has to go find her sister. It just says that the Weakness attaches to the location furthest from Jenny, and then for a double-action investigation test you can discard it.

I would think it has to be Jenny who does the action though. She is the bearer of the weakness, therefore all of the "you"s on the card refer to Jenny. No other investigator can take the mental trauma penalty, so it stands that no other investigator should be able to do the investigate action (also just thematically in Jenny's backstory, she is the one obsessively searching for her sister, it wouldn't make sense for someone else to do it. It's one of Jenny's main motivations for coming to Arkham in the first place).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dusty
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
iwallace wrote:
IronSyndicate wrote:

I would think it has to be Jenny who does the action though. She is the bearer of the weakness, therefore all of the "you"s on the card refer to Jenny. No other investigator can take the mental trauma penalty, so it stands that no other investigator should be able to do the investigate action (also just thematically in Jenny's backstory, she is the one obsessively searching for her sister, it wouldn't make sense for someone else to do it. It's one of Jenny's main motivations for coming to Arkham in the first place).

Under "Activate Action"

An investigator is permitted to activate abilities from the following sources:
= A card in play and under his or her control. This includes his or her investigator card.
= A scenario card that is in play and at the same location as the investigator. This includes the location itself, encounter cards placed at that location, and all encounter cards in
the threat area of any investigator at that location.
= The current act or current agenda card.

I believe the only one that qualifies if the first one which means that only Jenny can activate the card. Although since it is a weakness it might qualify as "encounter cards placed at that location" but I don't think so.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brodie
United States
KC
Missouri
flag msg tools
mb
Jenny's Weakness seems like the harshest one we've seen yet. It's possible that it can cost you upwards of five actions to clear: move, move, move, (next turn) investigate 2x. And you could still fail that test. It's bananas. Daisy's isn't even that harsh. I think with Jenny you just resign yourself to the mental trauma, probably.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Immortal
Canada
Quebec
flag msg tools
mb
Agent Archer wrote:
Jenny's Weakness seems like the harshest one we've seen yet. It's possible that it can cost you upwards of five actions to clear: move, move, move, (next turn) investigate 2x. And you could still fail that test. It's bananas. Daisy's isn't even that harsh. I think with Jenny you just resign yourself to the mental trauma, probably.

I wonder if other player can help you to investigate for lizie

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Jackson
United States
Mather
California
flag msg tools
OK, one time Randy Beaman had to take baths with his brother. So one time his little brother took a potty in the bathtub .....and now Randy Beaman gets to take showers alone. 'K, bye.
badge
One time, OK, see, one time Randy Beaman's little brother ate Pop Rocks and drank a soda at the same time and his head exploded! 'K, bye.
mbmbmbmbmb
Agent Archer wrote:

Or be sure to autoinclude two copies of Elusive:
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.