7 Posts

Cry Havoc» Forums » Rules

Subject: Unusual Machine Situation rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Got my second play of this game in tonight and I'm loving it! It doesn't hurt that I got my first win playing as the pilgrims. But we did have something weird happen and I'm curious if we handled it correctly.

The human player had only one figure in a territory and the machine player attacked him with one figure. On his next turn, the machine player used one of his buildings (I forget which one) to kill the one human figure. So the territory was locked and had a battle token, but only one machine in it. During the battle phase, we weren't sure is we needed to have a battle or not, since there was only one side present. We decided to do it, since we couldn't find a rule that said not to. We all figured it was no big deal, since there's no way a machine loses a 1-0 battle anyway.

Well, the human player was smarter than the rest of us. He played a card to bring in a figure from an adjacent area, placed him on "attrition", played another card reversing the battle order, killing the machine and retaining control of the area.

So did we do this correctly? Should that battle have happened without any human forces in the area at the beginning of the battle?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jay Sledge
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmb
I'm afraid not... Rulebook page 10 under '4. Battle Resolution' states that the battle token is immediately removed if all of one faction is removed prior to battle. There was never any battle situation to resolve, so no chance of human card-playing. Same situation happened on our first play through
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alex Banks
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
The battle shouldn't have happened. If ever all a players units are removed from a Battle region, you remove the Battle token and the other player immediately takes control.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
That's what I thought, and said as much at the time, but one of our players is a stickler for rules. My quick scan of the book did not pick up that rule, but I'll look at it for next time.

Ironically, the "stickler" was the same guy playing the machines, so he got punished for not believing me. Cost him quite a few points as well

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Paltrineri
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And thanks for the quick response, by the way.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
teacherboy wrote:
On his next turn, the machine player used one of his buildings (I forget which one) to kill the one human figure.

Shred Drones

Kill 1 enemy soldier in any adjacent Region (including Battle Regions).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Grant Rodiek
United States
Redwood City
CA
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Unusual Machine Situation is my Nine Inch Nails cover band.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.