Carl
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm torn between Fire in the Sky and Empire of the Sun. Can anyone explain the differences between these games to help me make a decision? I would like solitaire playability. I do like the larger, more detailed map of Empire in the Sun which seems to allow for more flexibility. What is the replayability of both games like?
Any help would be appreciated!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MS-06 Zaku II
Canada
Vancouver
BC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
EotS is using cards, which may not be suitable for solo play. shake

I had a same question, at the end I chose FitS.

As both games you can download the manual freely, the suggestion is to read them and pick the one you are interested.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam Starkweather
United States
Commack
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I peaked at your profile and you don't have many hard core wargames there (old VGs NATO might be the only one I saw)...

If you go EotS, Mark is very available to give a hand and I am, of course, also happy to help you get up to speed on FitS...but...if you really don't have much wargaming experience, you might want to try one of the simpler siblings for these two...

Wilderness War or Twilight Struggle for EotS and/or Victory in the Pacific for FitS. These are all fun games and your collection won't suffer in the least...and you can build on either or both of the simpler games with FitS or EotS.

Adam
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would highly recommend FitS. I do have both games and play them both, but if you are thinking solitaire, Fire in the Sky is very playable while Empire of the Sun, with the use of cards, is much more difficult solo. I understand what Adam is referring to when he states that games like Victory in the Pacific might be easier, but I really think that if you are going to spend time and energy on VitP, you would be much better served putting that time and energy into Fire in the Sky instead. In many ways, you will find it much easier to grasp the rules of FitS if you are not real familiar with the more traditional hex and counter wargames. I have such a background in the more traditional wargames that at first FitS seemed very unusal to me. I had to rethink, almost "unlearn" certain aspects of earlier games to clearly see the elegance of the FitS system. I agree with you when you discuss the difference in the maps. Empire of the Sun is a nice map with much more detail. And I really like that about that game. If I am just going to sit and examine and enjoy the map, EotS wins. On the other hand, FitS is the type of game that you get so involved in the strategy, the tactical decisions, and the general intensity of the situation, that its map is perfectly designed for this particular game. Finally, I would say that Adam is extremely helpful to new players of FitS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
suPUR DUEper
United States
Villa Hills
Kentucky
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I don't know, the FitS map is pretty cool looking.....

I agree- FitS took a bit for me to get used to because I am "traditional" wargamer. However, if you are learning the game for the first time, I think it is doable.... EotS is a bit more daunting

I vote FitS!

P.S. On a related note, it must have been pretty depressing for the Japanese toward the end. Not only did they have insufficent oil to sortie their ships, the massive fleets that were arrayed against them in only a couple year's time must have been extraordinarily demoralizing (as I feel whenever I am the Japanese player....)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rod Bauer
United States
Larned
Kansas
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Quote:
P.S. On a related note, it must have been pretty depressing for the Japanese toward the end. Not only did they have insufficent oil to sortie their ships, the massive fleets that were arrayed against them in only a couple year's time must have been extraordinarily demoralizing (as I feel whenever I am the Japanese player....)

Right on Ted! I have felt EXACTLY the same way. You said it perfectly and FitS demonstrates it perfectly! Your post gets my "thumbs up."

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Steve Herron
United States
Johnson City
Tennessee
flag msg tools
badge
Never play block wargames with a dentist, they have those little mirrors to peek behind the block.
mbmbmbmbmb
Carl,
I would go with Fire. I asked Mark Herman how solitaire friendly Empire of the Sun was in an email. Mark kindly told me that it could be played solitaire but it had the tendicy to play the same each time. I have Fire in the Sky and can tell you it is a great game and solitaire friendly (I am playing it now by myself). I almost wish I could play it face to face or this old gamer figure out how to use VASSAL. My first name is Carl. I would like to thank Adam for his help with questions I had about the game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carl
Canada
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the replies guys! They were very helpful; when I have the funds, I'll probably go with Fire in the Sky. It's also nice to be able to read the rules before actually buying the game. It's also more easily available than ViTP. Thanks again!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert March
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TedW wrote:
I don't know, the FitS map is pretty cool looking.....

It is a bit depressing. If you win as the Japanese player, especially in a holdout victory, all you can say is, 'Hooray! I win! Umm, I guess that means I get nuked.' soblue

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls