Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi,

When is a monster exhausted? Can it retaliate if it is?

Also, can you tell me what happens to a skill card when it is played? By Skill card I mean one that specifically says Skill in the top left corner, the ones you commit to a test. Does it get discarded?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
Monsters exhaust either through 'Evade' being applied to it (where it will also disengage if engaged) or from attacking during the enemy phase. An exhausted enemy cannot attack and, since Retaliate is an attack, an exhausted monster with Retaliate will not cause damage/horror on failed tests against it.

In strict game terms, you never 'play' a skill card. Playing involves taking a card from an out-of-play area, paying any associated costs and putting it into play (be that an event which has an effect, or an asset which you 'equip').

When a card is used to modify a skill check, you 'commit' that card. After committing a card (either a dedicated skill-type card, or an asset/event with skill icons) it goes to your discard pile.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
Hi,

When is a monster exhausted? Can it retaliate if it is?

Also, can you tell me what happens to a skill card when it is played? By Skill card I mean one that specifically says Skill in the top left corner, the ones you commit to a test. Does it get discarded?

Exhausted monsters cannot retaliate.

Skill cards are not played; they're committed to a skill test. This is like other cards with a matching skill icon you might commit to a skill test. The exception is that skill cards usually have some additional effect that happens beyond just the skill being boosted.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
OK, I think I get skill cards now. Thanks for the replies.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
For reference, page 18 of the rules ref states for retaliate. "every time a investigator fails a skill check when attacking a READY enemy..."
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks. I guess I need to read the cards better. I can't see what advantage it is to have an exhausted monster if they attack in stage three and then get readied again in stage four.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
Thanks. I guess I need to read the cards better. I can't see what advantage it is to have an exhausted monster if they attack in stage three and then get readied again in stage four.

Wait, now what? Which enemies can attack when exhausted? An enemy has to be Engaged (in the Investigator's threat area) and Ready (upright, not sideways) to attack.

Do you mean to ask why we Exhaust Enemies during Stage Three? It would help for keeping track of who has gone if the map ever gets crowded. Also, there may be opportunities for Players to interrupt or react to one enemy's Attack, and at that moment Exhausted could matter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes, so they attack me in stage three and get exhausted, and then they get ready in stage four. They can't attack, but I don't see how them being exhausted for that little time period helps.

Sorry, I just don't really get this game. It's OK though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Iain McAllister
United Kingdom
Edinburgh
Lothian
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
An exhausted monster will not attack in the enemy phase. It will ready in the upkeep phase and then attack in the following enemy phase. This means evading basically takes that monster out for a turn of attacking.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zack Manning
United States
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:
Yes, so they attack me in stage three and get exhausted, and then they get ready in stage four. They can't attack, but I don't see how them being exhausted for that little time period helps.

Sorry, I just don't really get this game. It's OK though.

Exhausting them in stage three is basically there so you can keep track of who has already attacked. If you want exhaustion to be helpful you need to force it to happen before the enemy phase.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Farquhar
Australia
North Melbourne
VIC
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Fruit Eating Bear wrote:

In phase 2,your investigator can take 3 actions.
They could, for example, be Fight, Fight, Evade.

If your Evade is successful, the monster is exhausted, so in phase 3 they cannot attack you.

AFTER their attack phase, they are then readied in phase 4.

So the advantage exists if you use Evade.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Fruit Eating Bear
United Kingdom
Bristol
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks, Stephen, that's a big help to me.

Cheers
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.