9 Posts

Tyrants of the Underdark» Forums » General

Subject: Using more neutral troops with two players rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
We just played our first game and really liked it.. Seems to work really well even with two. We did feel however that there could have been more neutral troops to go after. Any thoughts on adding more and how to go about it?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played it multiple times with two and never felt this was necessary. It would also slow the game down and make the promoting strategy more powerful since expending multiple resources to get only 1 point from removing a neutral troop isn't efficient. It's only worthwhile when the reward (control) pays off. With more neutral troops, this becomes more difficult.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
I've played it multiple times with two and never felt this was necessary. It would also slow the game down and make the promoting strategy more powerful since expending multiple resources to get only 1 point from removing a neutral troop isn't efficient. It's only worthwhile when the reward (control) pays off. With more neutral troops, this becomes more difficult.

We still want to try it. The board felt too open and easy to control some areas.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tahsin Shamma
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Chris is right. The game is balanced well for either a rush to get troops out strategy or a promotion strategy or a longer total control strategy.

If you're dead set on this, you could swap out the miniature shields with generic white pawns from The Game Crafter or Print n Play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No need for that. Since not all the shields are used in a 2p game.

Now I'm wondering if you only played on just the middle section of the board. You don't use the whole board in a 2p game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
veector wrote:
Chris is right. The game is balanced well for either a rush to get troops out strategy or a promotion strategy or a longer total control strategy.

If you're dead set on this, you could swap out the miniature shields with generic white pawns from The Game Crafter or Print n Play.

Why pawns? I really wish the game came with a double sided board, hoping a new map is on the way

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
BoardTogether wrote:
veector wrote:

Why pawns? I really wish the game came with a double sided board, hoping a new map is on the way

I'm even more convinced now that you played using the entire board in a 2 player game.

In a 2 player game you only use the center section between the dashed pink lines so that only 3 circular cites are in play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Board Together
msg tools
mbmb
Legend5555 wrote:
BoardTogether wrote:
veector wrote:

I'm even more convinced now that you played using the entire board in a 2 player game.

In a 2 player game you only use the center section between the dashed pink lines so that only 3 circular cites are in play.

I know and we played correctly.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Ruf
United States
Acworth
Georgia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. Just checking since I've never seen this complaint come up, and your comments made it seem like you may not have realized the 2p setup differences.

As long as you realize that you are going to unbalance the game, then go for it. There should be more than enough unused neutral shields to fill more spots in for the 2p game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.