United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The text on the Brood Parasite card reads as:

Brood Parasite:
Land Species: No effect.
Avian Species: Before the food cards are revealed, gain 1 Population and take 1 Plant or Meat Food if you have any other Avian species.

My question is about where the food comes from. Obviously, Meat Food can only come from the Food Bank, but Plant Food can come from the Food Bank, Watering Hole or Cliff. Does the player get to choose?

I did look at the rule book and it seems to say that all food, plant or meat, should come from the Food Bank, but the card doesn't seem to indicate that, so I thought I'd get some clarification.

I guess my confusion here is that if the Brood Parasite food always comes from the Food Bank, why not just say that? Or why not just say you only always take meat food? Why invite confusion with the plant food text? Is it just to trigger Foraging or am I missing something else?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Edu Avalon
Guatemala
flag msg tools
mbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
The text on the Brood Parasite card reads as:

Brood Parasite:
Avian Species: Before the food cards are revealed, gain 1 Population and take 1 Plant or Meat Food if you have any other Avian species.

My question is about where the food comes from. Obviously, Meat Food can only come from the Food Bank, but Plant Food can come from the Food Bank, Watering Hole or Cliff. Does the player get to choose?

I did look at the rule book and it seems to say that all food, plant or meat, should come from the Food Bank, but the card doesn't seem to indicate that, so I thought I'd get some clarification.

I guess my confusion here is that if the Brood Parasite food always comes from the Food Bank, why not just say that? Or why not just say you only always take meat food? Why invite confusion with the plant food text? Is it just to trigger Foraging or am I missing something else?

...and in addition: In order to gain 1 population do you need to have any other avian species, or is this only to take 1 plant food? (I presume that you need avian specie to have the population and the food.. but just to be sure).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm fairly certain you need at least one other avian species in order to activate the trait at all. So if you only have one avian species, this card will do nothing for it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David A
United States
Yorktown
Virginia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
I'm fairly certain you need at least one other avian species in order to activate the trait at all. So if you only have one avian species, this card will do nothing for it.

This because this card is representing the cuckoo tactic. You need other flying species in order to activate it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
That is correct Matt. You need one other avian species in order to activate the trait at all.

We did not include that phrase on the card because it literally didn't fit without making the font very hard to read. But I'm looking at it now and that doesn't seem to be the case. We probably changed the layout of the card in the meantime and it never occurred to us to revisit the text on the card.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
And as for my original question? All food, plant or meat, always comes from the Food Bank even if the card doesn't say so?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Byron S
United States
Ventura
California
flag msg tools
I don't remember what I ate last night
badge
but I can spout off obscure rules to all sorts of game like nobody's business!
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:

To allow both Carnivores and those with Foraging or other Plant based traits to benefit from it.

And yes, from the food bank, as the rulebook says.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dominic Crapuchettes
United States
Bethesda
MD
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
North Star Games designs party games that don't suck! Play them with your non-gamer friends over the holidays.
badge
First there was Hearts, then there was Spades, and now we bring you Clubs. The suit of clubs finally gets some respect!
mbmbmbmbmb
CenozoicMatt wrote:
And as for my original question? All food, plant or meat, always comes from the Food Bank even if the card doesn't say so?

That is probably correct, unless it says from the "Watering Hole". You'd have to point me to a specific card for me to answer more definitively.

The honest answer is that we tried to make the card text as good as possible, but if we could not cover everything on the card, then we covered it in the reference section of the rules.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Parker
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Perhaps in an future printings of Brood Parasite you could write it as:

Brood Parasite:
Avian Species: Before the food cards are revealed, gain 1 Population and take 1 Plant or Meat Food from the Food Bank if you have any other Avian species.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.