J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
It's not a lynching or dragging a black guy behind a pickup truck (both of which have happened in Texas) but it's damn disrespectful:

http://us.cnn.com/2016/11/15/us/veteran-meal-restaurant-trnd...

Fortunately, I always thought Chili's sucked, both as a place to drink and to eat. And a mild shout-out to Chick-fa-Lay for never turning away homosexuals despite their chairman's conservative religious views on gay marriage.
8 
 Thumb up
0.05
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
This got touched on in the in the middle of a different thread. I repeat what I said there, the original veteran who complained should be ashamed. As soon as the accused veteran produced his credentials the accuser veteran should have stepped up and defused the situation, admitting his error. The manager was a dipshit for sure, but I have special disgust for the accuser. Veterans shitting on veterans is terrible. Stupid racist.

EDIT: This story is a little different than the original one I read, it doesn't infer the accuser was a veteran as much as an earlier one did. If he is not a veteran, then I hold him in the basic contempt that all ignorant racists should receive, including the manager.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
fightcitymayor
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
badge
Proprietor and Chairman Emeritus of The Naughty Palace
Avatar
mb
Nice to see the emboldening of America's racists & bigots is already in full swing.
Thanks Trump.
8 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
TheChin! wrote:
This got touched on in the in the middle of a different thread. I repeat what I said there, the original veteran who complained should be ashamed. As soon as the accused veteran produced his credentials the accuser veteran should have stepped up and defused the situation, admitting his error. The manager was a dipshit for sure, but I have special disgust for the accuser. Veterans shitting on veterans is terrible. Stupid racist.

EDIT: This story is a little different than the original one I read, it doesn't infer the accuser was a veteran as much as an earlier one did. If he is not a veteran, then I hold him in the basic contempt that all ignorant racists should receive, including the manager.


Yeah, I skipped that one. Should have read it further down. My bad.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mac Mcleod
United States
houston
Texas
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm glad they "removed" the manager ... whatever that means. Hopefully it means fired and not moved to a different restaurant.
4 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's a pretty clear one from my neck of the woods:

Source: CNN

'Deportation' letters handed out at school

A student at Shasta High School in Redding, California, posted a video on Twitter of himself handing letters with the word "deportation" written across the top to half a dozen students, school district Superintendent Jim Cloney said in a statement.

The students appeared to be of a variety of ethnicities, Cloney said. After talking to the student and his parents, the video was taken down. The student said he thought the video was funny, Cloney said.
"Needless to say, we don't think this sort of behavior is funny nor reflective of the culture of Shasta High," he said. He said appropriate discipline will be applied.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mutton Chops
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Nice to see the emboldening of America's racists & bigots is already in full swing.
Thanks Trump.


Well, I certainly feel it underlines the argument I was making in Michelle Obama 'ape in heels' post causes outrage. For me, the concern isn't about specific cases, it's about the risk of a generally heightened climate of racial conflict occasioned by racists feeling validated.
10 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Leighton
England
Peterborough
Unspecified
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
TheChin! wrote:
If he is not a veteran, then I hold him in the basic contempt that all ignorant racists should receive, including the manager.


If he is an ignorant racist then he is an ignorant racist and should be held to the same level of contempt. His military service should make no difference.
7 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Born To Lose, Live To Win
United States
South Euclid
Ohio
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
andyl wrote:
If he is an ignorant racist then he is an ignorant racist and should be held to the same level of contempt. His military service should make no difference.
Not really, because a veteran should be less ignorant. I think there is a difference between an ignorant racist and racist who really should know better. Which, admittedly, probably means the original guy wasn't a veteran. You'd have to be willfully stupid to think black soldiers weren't allowed to be stationed in Germany.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jake
United States
Bellingham
Washington
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
TheChin! wrote:
andyl wrote:
If he is an ignorant racist then he is an ignorant racist and should be held to the same level of contempt. His military service should make no difference.
Not really, because a veteran should be less ignorant. I think there is a difference between an ignorant racist and racist who really should know better. Which, admittedly, probably means the original guy wasn't a veteran. You'd have to be willfully stupid to think black soldiers weren't allowed to be stationed in Germany.

I'm surprised and ashamed that no other veterans stood up to tell this guy he was full of shit. There must have been others there.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Brown
United States
Colorado Springs
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
fightcitymayor wrote:
Nice to see the emboldening of America's racists & bigots is already in full swing.
Thanks Trump.


I had a hispanic student tell me that things have gotten worse for her. Last week she was in line at a restaurant when a couple cut in line in front of her, she politely mentioned that she was standing in line there first, (you have to know this student is one of the most polite, kind and wonderful students I've ever had) the couple then told her that she should go back to her own country.
12 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pontifex Maximus
United States
CA
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
jeff brown wrote:
fightcitymayor wrote:
Nice to see the emboldening of America's racists & bigots is already in full swing.
Thanks Trump.


I had a hispanic student tell me that things have gotten worse for her. Last week she was in line at a restaurant when a couple cut in line in front of her, she politely mentioned that she was standing in line there first, (you have to know this student is one of the most polite, kind and wonderful students I've ever had) the couple then told her that she should go back to her own country.


The little racist acts to keep folks in their place. Trump and his lackeys seem intent on bring back "The Good Old Days". Just have to speak up and push back if you see stuff like this. Folks like that depend on the silence of others
9 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
andrew
Australia
bayswater
western australia
flag msg tools
designer
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm really not for firing people, Unless there is threats of physical violence involved.

I think demoting him to dish washer is a much better lesson learned.

Clearly the white veteran had not heard of the Red Tails..
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
Captain Coconut wrote:
TheChin! wrote:
andyl wrote:
If he is an ignorant racist then he is an ignorant racist and should be held to the same level of contempt. His military service should make no difference.
Not really, because a veteran should be less ignorant. I think there is a difference between an ignorant racist and racist who really should know better. Which, admittedly, probably means the original guy wasn't a veteran. You'd have to be willfully stupid to think black soldiers weren't allowed to be stationed in Germany.

I'm surprised and ashamed that no other veterans stood up to tell this guy he was full of shit. There must have been others there.


You're right, someone else should have stood up for the guy. Excellent point.

And more to the point, my dad was stationed at an Air Force base in West Germany in 1962. There were black airmen there at the time.
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moshe Callen
Israel
Jerusalem
flag msg tools
designer
ἄνδρα μοι ἔννεπε, μοῦσα, πολύτροπον, ὃς μάλα πολλὰ/ πλάγχθη, ἐπεὶ Τροίης ἱερὸν πτολίεθρον ἔπερσεν./...
badge
μῆνιν ἄειδε θεὰ Πηληϊάδεω Ἀχιλῆος/ οὐλομένην, ἣ μυρί᾽ Ἀχαιοῖς ἄλγε᾽ ἔθηκε,/...
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
remorseless1 wrote:
…And more to the point, my dad was stationed at an Air Force base in West Germany in 1962. There were black airmen there at the time.

Indeed why wouldn't there be?

IIUC the US military was at first reluctant to integrate but once they did they totally integrated. I thought that happened in the 1950s at the latest. Again I could be wrong about the date. Even if I am, there would have been units for black personnel.
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Well, the "Armed Forces" does make you "feel" as if you're a 'menial slave', for their lower enlisted especially. "GI Party" ahead of I.G. visits! soblue
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Staff
United States
flag msg tools
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
The manager was a hipster leftist of course.
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J.D. Hall
United States
Oklahoma
flag msg tools
GROGnads wrote:
Well, the "Armed Forces" does make you "feel" as if you're a 'menial slave', for their lower enlisted especially. "GI Party" ahead of I.G. visits! soblue

True -- but it's equal opportunity slavery:

"I don't care what you've got on your sleeves, you're all maggots and will remain so until the Army sends you somewhere to DIE!!!"
1 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
I see you...
United States
Avon
Ohio
flag msg tools
"I made a promise on the grave of my parents...
badge
...that I would rid this city of the evil that took their lives. "
Avatar
mbmbmbmbmb
Diabolik771 wrote:
The manager was a hipster leftist of course.


Other than you delusions, what do you base this one?
2 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robert Wesley
Nepal
Aberdeen
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
badge
Avatar
mb
Dispaminite wrote:
Diabolik771 wrote:
The manager was a hipster leftist of course.


Other than you delusions, what do you base this one?
whistle It's: 'base'LESS of/an "ZERO!"
 
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.