Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Mr Pretty
United States
Battle Creek
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't seem to get 100% clarification on this...

You reassign the astroblade to someone with the least glory this game.

So who goes second in the round after the person with the astroblade? The person to their left?

Is it possible that the person with lowest title goes last in a round?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Howard
United Kingdom
Coventry
West Midlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
All correct. Lowest _game_ glory gets the astrolabe in winter (with the lowest title as a tiebreaker if needed). Play proceeds left from there.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gustav W
Sweden
Lund
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SeaFall rulebook p12 wrote:
2. Players Take A Turn
Beginning with the player who holds the astrolabe and proceeding
clockwise, each player takes a full turn. What you do on a turn is on
the next page.

So the astrolabe is reassigned but the seating order doesn't change, your original assessment of the rules seems to be correct.
Yes, the player with second least glory could go last the second and subsequent years.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
I gotta say this can lead to some weird results.

Our longtime prince likes to do nothing glory-related for the first year -- which players of lower rank can't really afford to do -- so whoever is currently baron generally finds himself going last in year two if he so much as
Spoiler (click to reveal)
activates a colony.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
Our longtime prince likes to do nothing glory-related for the first year -- which players of lower rank can't really afford to do

This doesn't make much sense. What can you possibly do for 6 turns that doesn't score any glory at all? Everything in the game gives you glory, if you aren't getting any glory in the first year then you're basically doing nothing.

I feel like you must be playing some rule wrong.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
We have played many rules wrong. So many. But he doesn't get glory because half the time he'll just sail and tax.

How it really doesn't make sense is in long-term advantage -- he used to be many points ahead, and is now only in first place because our duchess doesn't yet want to be.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
We have played many rules wrong. So many. But he doesn't get glory because half the time he'll just sail and tax.

If he sails and taxes on half of the turns then he still gets glory on the other 3 turns.

I can see how you can score no glory on one turn. But I don't believe it's possible to score no glory for the first six turns of the game and still be playing the game. By that time the game is mostly over, and you've basically done nothing. You haven't even upgraded your ships.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I can't think of anything, unless it's doing nothing but trade to build up a large stock of cash and cubes. Which sounds to me like someone desperately begging to be robbed.

To add to that, my group hasn't had a game last longer than eight turns yet. (We keep *expecting* the game to get longer, due to the increasing glory goal, but so far eight is the limit.)

Given that, not gaining glory during the first year sounds like someone desperately begging to end the game with little or no glory (presumably after being robbed blind, probably several times).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Our games do seem to run longer than the average I hear from other groups -- we usually finish our second year.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Well, if your leader is puttering around doing nothing, what is everyone else doing? Go for that glory, and end the game before that leader even starts playing. Take away that prince title!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Well, as I said, the duchess strongly prefers to keep her favorite advisor for reasons that may soon become more apparent, so she is not only not chasing the Prince, at the end of the last game she deliberately sank her ship to lose its upgrades and remain in second place.

Another player is indeed surging from behind. I unfortunately had to skip a couple of games and am now trailing (though I won my first game back and made up more ground in the next).

But we're at the point where there's really just one thing left to do, so the whole table is trying to gear up for that project rather than chasing endeavors as much as we were.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
Well, as I said, the duchess strongly prefers to keep her favorite advisor for reasons that may soon become more apparent, so she is not only not chasing the Prince, at the end of the last game she deliberately sank her ship to lose its upgrades and remain in second place.

Another player is indeed surging from behind. I unfortunately had to skip a couple of games and am now trailing (though I won my first game back and made up more ground in the next).

But we're at the point where there's really just one thing left to do, so the whole table is trying to gear up for that project rather than chasing endeavors as much as we were.

Playing in a group with people intentionally playing to stay behind would drive me crazy. I would hope the rest of you could just crush them. You have all of the advantages AND you're (presumably) trying to score points.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
countertorque wrote:
Playing in a group with people intentionally playing to stay behind would drive me crazy. I would hope the rest of you could just crush them.

Yes. I don't think she's trying not to drive the other players crazy, particularly our poor prince, whose crown is now essentially her plaything.

The fourth player and I do hope to crush her as you suggest. I'll let you know how it goes. Like her, I have one of the [important things] saved, and I should be able to get the [other important thing] near the beginning of the next game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.