Popular Tags: [View All]
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
So here's an overview of my play through Chapter 1. This is my 5th playthrough, and my 5th failure (and my worst so far).

I don't remember exactly when or how many times I dumped my hand in Phase 1, but it was at least 3 times.

Round 1:

Starting hand had a food factory AND 2 butchers AND a cattle ranch AND a bakery AND a mill (and a dark-gray card). Best starting hand I've ever had, yet I know I won't be able to keep them all in hand or I won't be able to feed production chains when needed / discard to get a new hand. It's a tough choice!

Assistants out are both 2- and 3-card requirements, 2 red on one and 3 dark-grey on the other.

Started with a Charburner that requires Wheat and Wood - most common goods, so should be nicely usable. Morning market had enough wood and 1 of the needed wheat so I work fully. I also select the Brick Manufacturer to potentially build. Evening market has no extra wheat, so I supplemented with a wheat from my hand, producing 2 coal (so 9 coal now). I build my Brick Manufacturer (cost 5; 4 coal left).

Round 2:

The event that adds the Corn, Watchtowers and person 57 comes out. Morning market not great, so I work sloppily on my Brick Manufacturer. Also choose to attempt to build the Cattle Ranch, in the hope of getting the slaughterhouse (or whatever it's called that takes cows to produce meat) later on.

Evening market annoying had enough to cover full work! The person ends up being drawn in the evening market so is discarded to the discard pile. So I get 1 good. I have 2 coins worth of brick and 4 of coal, so spend the lot to build my Cattle Ranch which costs 6.

Round 3:

Despite the morning market not being great, I had 2 stone resources and a wheat in hand so decide to work full-time on my Cattle Ranch. I had no money to buy a building with, so decide not to build a building and save the money for an assistant. Evening market brings the extra wheat I need, but I have to spend both my stone resources to get the 2 goods onto the Cattle Ranch. I buy an assistant, but have to pay 6 instead of 4 (from the 2 cattle I only just produced) as I didn't have change. Darn it. I assign the assistant to the Charburner, as coal will feed the Brick Manufacturer if I get a chance later.

This is one of the only photos showing what cards I had in hand (bottom-right).

Round 4:

Event: I get a good of my choice! Woohoo! It goes on the Cattle Ranch.

The morning market looks pleasing, so I do a full day's work at the Brick Manufacturer. The evening market is superfluous to my needs, as I and my assistant both produce, and I get to chain the Brick Manufacturer from the Charburner and some Clay in my hand. I use some of the cash to buy a Corn Farm.

Round 5:

I get two nice dark-grey buildings in-hand; I plan on building one. The morning market is pretty poor, and the evening market isn't much better. I work sloppily on my Cattle Ranch and manage to produce 1 good by discarding two wheat. My assistant produces nothing, the lazy layabout. And my corn farm produces too. I have enough to buy the +1 Stone dark-grey building (working towards the next assistant!).

Round 6:

The event allows me to use all my production buildings! But I only have a few cards in hand, one of which I plan on building this round! DAMN!

The market is pretty kind this round, and I manage to work fully on the Brick Manufacturer AND my assistant does some work too. I spend my well-earned money on another dark-gray building. I have no cards in hand that feed into any of my building's production chains. DAMN!

Round 7:

The market looks hopeful so I do a full day' work at the Cattle Ranch, and my assistant works too. I have nothing in hand worth building right now, so I get a Watchtower instead; this allows me to hire the last assistant, who I put to work on my Brick Manufacturer.

Round 8:

I get a Bakery into my hand! Despite having had to discard my mill many turns ago, I figure I might get lucky and get a mill in the next 2 rounds. I plan on building the Bakery. The market is not good and I have to work sloppily, also having to discard 2 wheat-cards from hand just to produce one measly cow (and I have no wheat left to feed the production chain). Luckily I've built up quite a good coin stock, so I can build the bakery. I only have one card left in hand at present.

Round 9:

I attempt to work on my Bakery, and succeed by discarding just 1 extra card. My Brick Manufacturer also works, so I'm getting some nice income, but still no production chaining. I build another Corn Field to try to boost the food production.

Round 10:

Well, crap. The final round, and I fail to work even sloppily at my Bakery! My Brick Manufacturer assistant manages to get some work done, at least. Last round = production chaining! I have but one solitary wood I can push into my charburner; the stone in hand is useless.

Final tally: 22 coins for food. After taking them out, I have 24 VP (23VP from cards + 1VP from 5 left-over goods). And 1 fist.

Result: Abject failure! ARGH!

Suggestions please as to where on earth I went so very wrong here.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I'll take a look at this in the morning when I'm not falling asleep.

I also played the chapter a couple times, and managed to make a video of a winning run through. I'll upload asap.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay, so I know you were trying to diversify partly to get the assistants, but the times that I've succeeded, I've focused on one particular strategy.

So, instead of going from bricks to cows to bread, I would have doubled down on the cow strategy, pitching your hand every turn to get the right combo, and the right cards to chain your cattle ranch.

If you actually manage to turn the cows into meat (with a Butcher), you're golden. At the end, you basically want a whole bunch of cows that you can chain onto the butcher for the win.

The other possibility is to go heavy on the farms early on, so that they take care of a lot of the food requirement.

I've had the most success with the Mill to the Bakery and last night I even got the Food Factory which pretty much won me the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Pfister
msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I would have played turn 2 differently:
You sacrify very much to build the Cattle Ranch. If you would have used the card for the brick chain production, you would have had 3 bricks(6$) and 3 coal. Try to save your coal and use it for production chains rather than money. Using 4 coal as 4$ is very expansive as coal in a production chain will become goods worth 2 (brick) or 4 (bread). So I probably would have build the mill or bakery in turn 2. At the begining of turn 3, exchange your hand to get more clay. Then try to work there again in order to use your production chain if you got some clay. If not, produce more coal and exchange your hand again.

Don't focus too much on the assistants: Buy corn fields in the missing colours if you have the money rather than black buildings - both cost 8, but corn fields give you food and money. There is an event, which lets you exchange 1 assistant, so you know you will get one, which will fit perfectly to your buildings.

So the main hints would be:
* Try to make a lot of money in the first few turns by heavily using the production chain of your first building.
* Utilize your production chain by exchanging your hand to get a lot of the needed resource (e.g. clay for the brick building, wool for the weaving mill)
* Keep a lot of cards in your hand; Save your coal for production chains not for paying buildings
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I made the video, and I'm including a link here:

https://youtu.be/XdDmHAXSngI

Let me know what you think...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Avataarkaap wrote:
I made the video, and I'm including a link here:

https://youtu.be/XdDmHAXSngI

Let me know what you think...

Oooh, nice one, thanks Adhil, I'll give it a watch!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
AlexP wrote:
I would have played turn 2 differently:
You sacrify very much to build the Cattle Ranch. If you would have used the card for the brick chain production, you would have had 3 bricks(6$) and 3 coal. Try to save your coal and use it for production chains rather than money. Using 4 coal as 4$ is very expansive as coal in a production chain will become goods worth 2 (brick) or 4 (bread). So I probably would have build the mill or bakery in turn 2. At the begining of turn 3, exchange your hand to get more clay. Then try to work there again in order to use your production chain if you got some clay. If not, produce more coal and exchange your hand again.

Don't focus too much on the assistants: Buy corn fields in the missing colours if you have the money rather than black buildings - both cost 8, but corn fields give you food and money. There is an event, which lets you exchange 1 assistant, so you know you will get one, which will fit perfectly to your buildings.

So the main hints would be:
* Try to make a lot of money in the first few turns by heavily using the production chain of your first building.
* Utilize your production chain by exchanging your hand to get a lot of the needed resource (e.g. clay for the brick building, wool for the weaving mill)
* Keep a lot of cards in your hand; Save your coal for production chains not for paying buildings

Thanks Alex, that's great advice. I hadn't quite thought about just pushing the chains early on to rack up money, to then buy the food-producing buildings mid/late on; I'd been trying to get them out as early as possible so I could chain them, but your suggestions make a lot of sense. I'll give it a go!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adhil Patel
South Africa
Cape Town
Western Cape
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
It's an absolute privilage to have advice directly from the designer of this (and other) fantastic game.

Thanks Alex!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Eric B
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Maybe I have missed something but I am confused as to how I know which chapter cards are for solo and which are for more than one player. Am I just missing something obvious?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nick Shaw
United Kingdom
Plymouth
Devon
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
esterjey wrote:
Maybe I have missed something but I am confused as to how I know which chapter cards are for solo and which are for more than one player. Am I just missing something obvious?

The chapter setup cards specify which cards to use for 2-4 players on the top half, and solo on the bottom half. Example from chapter 1:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.