Thumb up
 Hide
12 Posts

Cosmic Encounter» Forums » Rules

Subject: Revealing the contents of an opponent's hand? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Hi everyone,

I was wondering what the consensus is for revealing the contents of an opponent's hand to other players if you had gained that information legally (an example would be if that opponent had taken compensation from you). An obvious exception to this would be whenever Mind's power is used as the ruling is baked in to the power. My group has always played that you are allowed to reveal this information. However, years of playing classic card games means that we usually maintain something of an honour system and avoid the practice (although if the fate of the game is on the line this code will often be thrown out the window to gain any upper hand on the would-be victor).

Thanks!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Of course you can. You can also lie about it.

Information is power, though. Don't give power to your enemies lightly...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
air show
Italy
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You can't SHOW your cards or another player's cards, but you can say everything you want.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone reveals information about your hand that you don't want other players to know believe, you simply accuse them of lying.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kolbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Now that this was brought up, how exactly does Mind's power work? Are you not allowed to say anything? Seems like a weird rule. Are you allowed to say things like "he has an attack higher than a 10"? It just seems like a very fine line between legal and illegal. Also, what do you guys think of that rule in the first place?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
VKolbe wrote:
Are you allowed to say things like "he has an attack higher than a 10"?

The spirit of the effect is basically "look but keep your mouth shut," so I wouldn't try to finesse my way around that.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack of Clubs
United States
Fountain Valley
California
flag msg tools
Why is there no Word Games Forum or Subdomain?
badge
There should be a Word Games Subdomain, or at least a Word Games Forum!
mbmbmbmbmb
Bill Martinson wrote:
VKolbe wrote:
Are you allowed to say things like "he has an attack higher than a 10"?

The spirit of the effect is basically "look but keep your mouth shut," so I wouldn't try to finesse my way around that.

But of course the Mind can't help but communicate about that he saw by his game actions afterwards.

Like by choosing to ally with the main player whose hand he looked at, or not.
By the encounter card he chooses to play against the opponent whose hand he just looked at.
By anything else he might say: "You should play a high attack card against yellow." "You don't need to waste a high attack card against blue." "You'll need as many allies as you can get." "You won't need any allies." etc.

Let's face it: The Mind's gag order is contrary to the spirit of the game. It's a flaw, a mistake, a poor design choice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Victor Kolbe
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Phil Fleischmann wrote:
Let's face it: The Mind's gag order is contrary to the spirit of the game. It's a flaw, a mistake, a poor design choice.

Seems to be the case, unfortunately.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Just a Bill
United States
Norfolk
Virginia
flag msg tools
designer
No, I said "oh, brother," not "go hover."
I disagree. The designers were trying to create distinctive aliens that had to approach the game in different ways, and they wanted players to "feel like" the aliens they were playing.

I don't see any evidence that it's a design error.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ian Toltz
United States
Boston
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I agree with the others on this point... The Mind's restrictions on telling other players about what they see is a poor design decision.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Regarding Mind's power, I'd argue that his limitation on revealing his knowledge does at least lead to some interesting interactions, For example, when the offense is going for their 5th colony and the defense looks to Mind for help and all Mind can do is speak in the most general,vague terms as to what they think the defense should do — it can be quite amusing.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Charles Waterman
United States
Commerce Township
Michigan
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
aspactrio wrote:
Thanks for the advice everyone!

Regarding Mind's power, I'd argue that his limitation on revealing his knowledge does at least lead to some interesting interactions, For example, when the offense is going for their 5th colony and the defense looks to Mind for help and all Mind can do is speak in the most general,vague terms as to what they think the defense should do — it can be quite amusing.

I think I agree. To some extent, the limitations on the powers can be as amusing in this game as playing the powers is.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.