Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
It's a Zendrum. www.zendrum.com
mbmbmbmbmb
My son is going to go to a technical school after high school to learn audio engineering.

In English class they had to do essays for college submissions. Even if not going to college, you were expected to write it as an English exercise.

No problems there. It was known my son is going to essentially a trade school and he accepted the reason of the assignment.

But my son noted that when reviewing everyone's papers, the teacher would ask white kids "what college are you going to" and the minorities "are you going to apply to college".

This disturbed my son far more than writing a fictional college application essay.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
My son is going to go to a technical school after high school to learn audio engineering.

In English class they had to do essays for college submissions. Even if not going to college, you were expected to write it as an English exercise.

No problems there. It was known my son is going to essentially a trade school and he accepted the reason of the assignment.

But my son noted that when reviewing everyone's papers, the teacher would ask white kids "what college are you going to" and the minorities "are you going to apply to college".

This disturbed my son far more than writing a fictional college application essay.

Holy shit, your son is mad that the teacher is trying to help black kids go to college ? WTF ? did you raise a skin head ?

Sorry to break the news to your little klansmen, but we want all races to attend school if they choose to.

http://hechingerreport.org/black-students-are-drastically-un...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Holy shit, your son is mad that the teacher is trying to help black kids go to college ? WTF ? did you raise

What post did you read?

He's mad she assumes they aren't going.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it possible the teacher knows the students well?
She may have assisted with Essays, or recommendations.

It's hard to judge from a third hand account from a teen-age boy.

I would recommend talking with the teacher, non-confrontationally. Either there is a problem that should be addressed, or your son is getting a negative view of authority figures.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
costguy wrote:

I would recommend talking with the teacher, non-confrontationally. Either there is a problem that should be addressed, or your son is getting a negative view of authority figures.

We've been in contact with the school board before about this teacher. There have been problems before and we aren't the only ones saying anything.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yep, those pesky facts are racists.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeremy cobert
United States
cedar rapids
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
What post did you read?

Quote:
the teacher would ask the minorities "are you going to apply to college".

This disturbed my son

I read your words. Congrats, you raised a closet racist.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Salch
United States
Bristol
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Geosphere wrote:
costguy wrote:

We've been in contact with the school board before about this teacher. There have been problems before and we aren't the only ones saying anything.

too bad.
It's hard to do anything about bad teachers.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Burke Martin
United States
Seattle
Washington
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
What post did you read?

Quote:

This disturbed my son

You have no frame of reference here, Donny. You're like a child who wanders into the middle of a movie and wants to know...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dean
Canada
Ottawa
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
jeremycobert wrote:
Geosphere wrote:
What post did you read?

Quote:

This disturbed my son

You read about half his words. Read the entire thing again, this time with your head above your waistline.

Cliff's Notes version: Teacher asks white kids (and apparently only white kids) "what college are you going to?", asks all other kids "are you applying to college?". Those are different questions with different implications and speaks toward a subtle difference in how the teacher thinks about white and minority students.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
Have the teacher fired! Do what SJWs do and ruin lives for grievances that are dubious at best.

The internal conversation of the average SJW:

"Hey, maybe my child is lying or at best perhaps she's just exaggerating."
"No! Racist!"

"Hey, maybe the teacher knows these students and knows they have very little interest in college and the teacher is doing her best to encourage enrollment."
"No! Racist!"

"Hey, maybe the teacher knows these students have very low grades and are therefore less likely to seek post-secondary education."
"No! Racist!"

When you go looking for racism everywhere you go you'll find it . . . even if it's not there. Happy witch racist burning.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
so far we've got "he's the real racist" and "maybe the person who mentioned this racist incident is lying" and "SJW"

does anybody have their RSP Conservatives Talk About Racism Bingo card handy because someone's gotta be pretty close to winning the washer/dryer combo unit
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul DeStefano
United States
Long Island
New York
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
galad2003 wrote:
Why is your son not going to college? I've known some real bone head knuckle draggers who graduated from college. He should at east apply and see what kind of offers he gets.

He doesn't want to yet. Maybe after the tech school, but not now.

Edit: He's an honor roll student, getting in would not be a problem.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
This flag says we will fight until only our bones are left.
mbmbmbmbmb
This is what I believe is called a "microagression."

If the son's perception is off in some way there may be a non-racist way to explain this and it's not "no negros allowed" level racism, but sure, it's a subtle way in which a belief in a difference in persons based only on race is being either consciously or unconsciously expressed and since there's an implied negative toward one race, I think think it's fair to call it racist.

It's not the end of the world, but it is an indication that we're not there yet in terms of creating a colorblind society.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
rylfrazier wrote:

If the son's perception is off in some way there may be a non-racist way to explain this and it's not "no negros allowed" level racism, but sure, it's a subtle way in which a belief in a difference in persons based only on race is being either consciously or unconsciously expressed and since there's an implied negative toward one race, I think think it's fair to call it racist.

It's not the end of the world, but it is an indication that we're not there yet in terms of creating a colorblind society.

Thoughtcrime detected! Reason and science deactivated. Liberal interpretation of subconsciousness activated! Initiate racist labeling sequence. Racist! Racist! Racist!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Bartosh

Sunnyvale
California
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
Reason and science deactivated.

The average reaction to perceived skeleton antics.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
A man learns little by little in battle. Take this battle experience and become a man who can’t be beaten
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Thoughtcrime detected! Reason and science deactivated. Liberal interpretation of subconsciousness activated! Initiate racist labeling sequence. Racist! Racist! Racist!

What is so wrong with trying to recognize the subtle ways we all intentionally or accidentally treat people differently based on race?

Wouldn't it be nice if we could actually treat people equally regardless of race?

I'm not calling for the teacher to be fired, I'm just saying hey, if he's doing that and if race is the only defining factor, he should stop doing that and so should all of us.

I shouldn't assume that a white person is ignorant just because I've met a lot of ignorant white people, I shouldn't assume a black kid isn't going to college just because I've seen a lot of black kids not going to college.

I understand that there's a knee-jerk reaction to ever being told anything that implies you might want to consider doing things differently, I have the same reflexes, but really, it's not that big a deal to just stop doing it when you notice yourself doing it.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
Tucson
Arizona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
mightygodking wrote:
so far we've got "he's the real racist" and "maybe the person who mentioned this racist incident is lying" and "SJW"

does anybody have their RSP Conservatives Talk About Racism Bingo card handy because someone's gotta be pretty close to winning the washer/dryer combo unit

The problem there is if you actually talk about racial bias, you have to admit the existence of racial bias. This would lead to the minimizing racial bias and the subsequent devaluation of white privilege. And that's a direct hit to your self interest if you are financially or emotionally invested in the status quo.

If we just persist in our color-blindness, we can maintain both the status quo and plausible deniability of any racism.

But in all seriousness, we've created a catch-22 in how we address racism. The teacher in the OP is probably not ideologically racist, they don't believe one race is superior to another. In all likelihood they are manifesting an unconscious racial bias. That doesn't mean it isn't also harmful. Just because you accidentally break someone's leg doesn't mean the leg ain't broke.

In an ideal world a school administrator would take the teacher aside and show them how to recognize their unconscious bias. The teacher would be able to acknowledge the bias, change their actions, and be better equipped to help their students.

Unfortunately, we've made it so that just a hint that someone is racist is so toxic that you could doom your career to admit to any kind of bias. Since the teacher cannot acknowledge bias without risking their career nothing changes.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
rylfrazier wrote:

What is so wrong with trying to recognize the subtle ways we all intentionally or accidentally treat people differently based on race?

Everything when you're wrong. microaggressions are an attempt to stifle discourse by instilling in the speaker a fear of offense when no offense is intended. The purpose of microaggression accusations are to exagerate or even falsify offenses. Consider this: accusations of microaggressions are typically only directed toward white people. If unequal treatment is racist, than what does that say about believing that one race is the primary perpetrator of racism? Since racism is a moral issue, could it not be argued by microaggression proponents that white people are morally inferior to other races?

You're talking about implicit bias, which is something that has a lot of theories and no real definitive proof. The problem is when people start taking these theories as scientific realities. The best tests I've seen are pain and empathy tests, which in no way suggest that people are inherently racist.

But, never fear, friend. There are plenty of self proclaimed experts on implicit bias publishing their social sciences that for the low low cost of tens of thousands of dollars will help your employees shed themselves of all implicit bias. Yes, step right up, these experts will rid them of thoughts they didn't even know they had before they had a chance to have them! Act now!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chapel
United States
Round Rock
Texas
flag msg tools
"32 inches of Plexi....for your pleasure"
mbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

Everything when you're wrong. microaggressions are an attempt to stifle discourse by instilling in the speaker a fear of offense when no offense is intended. The purpose of microaggression accusations are to exagerate or even falsify offenses. Consider this: accusations of microaggressions are typically only directed toward white people. If unequal treatment is racist, than what does that say about believing that one race is the primary perpetrator of racism? Since racism is a moral issue, could it not be argued by microaggression proponents that white people are morally inferior to other races?

You're talking about implicit bias, which is something that has a lot of theories and no real definitive proof. The problem is when people start taking these theories as scientific realities. The best tests I've seen are pain and empathy tests, which in no way suggest that people are inherently racist.

But, never fear, friend. There are plenty of self proclaimed experts on implicit bias publishing their social sciences that for the low low cost of tens of thousands of dollars will help your employees shed themselves of all implicit bias. Yes, step right up, these experts will rid them of thoughts they didn't even know they had before they had a chance to have them! Act now!

You just kind of make shit up along the way don't you?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R. Frazier
United States
West Sacramento
California
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
broken clock wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

I'm not asking for anyone to be fired. I'm literally asking for this statement to be made to the teacher:

"Hey, a parent told me that you usually say 'where are you going to college' to white kids but you say 'are you going to college' to black kids. I'm not saying you're doing it on purpose, or even saying I'm sure you're doing it, but it came back to me, so in the future, try to pay attention to whether you're doing this or not, and if you're doing it, please stop. Thanks."

That's it.

What's wrong with that?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
rayito2702 wrote:

The problem there is if you actually talk about racial bias, you have to admit the existence of racial bias. This would lead to the minimizing racial bias and the subsequent devaluation of white privilege. And that's a direct hit to your self interest if you are financially or emotionally invested in the status quo.

Some people are racist. The existence of some racist people is not proof of a systemic racial bias.

White privilege does not exist.

I have no interest in the propagation of the status quo in regards to the continuation of this alleged "white privilege".

rayito2702 wrote:
If we just persist in our color-blindness, we can maintain both the status quo and plausible deniability of any racism.

Being colour blind is indeed the only solution to racism. See me as a person, not as a colour. See me as an individual, not as a representation of my race. Being colour blind does not mean being ignorant toward racist behavior, it simply means avoiding looking for monsters where no monsters exist.

rayito2702 wrote:

But in all seriousness, we've created a catch-22 in how we address racism. The teacher in the OP is probably not ideologically racist, they don't believe one race is superior to another. In all likelihood they are manifesting an unconscious racial bias. That doesn't mean it isn't also harmful. Just because you accidentally break someone's leg doesn't mean the leg ain't broke.

You do not have a better understanding of their unconscious than they do. They are more aware of their feelings toward other races than you are. Accusations of microaggressions are a manifestation of confirmation bias.

rayito2702 wrote:

In an ideal world a school administrator would take the teacher aside and show them how to recognize their unconscious bias. The teacher would be able to acknowledge the bias, change their actions, and be better equipped to help their students.

Your ideal world involves school administrators pretending to have a deep understanding of unconscious thoughts and even worse, the ability to prohibit those thoughts from occurring? Frightening.

rayito2702 wrote:
Unfortunately, we've made it so that just a hint that someone is racist is so toxic that you could doom your career to admit to any kind of bias. Since the teacher cannot acknowledge bias without risking their career nothing changes.

Accusations of microaggressions and racist lynchings are bed fellows.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls

Ottawa
Ontario
msg tools
MWChapel wrote:
broken clock wrote:
rylfrazier wrote:

You just kind of make shit up along the way don't you?

I'm sorry that I routinely provide average people with the benefit of the doubt when it comes to terrible accusations. I'm sorry my views are not compatible with your own.

Assimilate me, please.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MGK
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rayito2702 wrote:
Unfortunately, we've made it so that just a hint that someone is racist is so toxic that you could doom your career to admit to any kind of bias.

hee hee hee hee

oh wait you're serious

that actually makes it funnier
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jon Badolato
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Is it just me or has anyone else noticed a large number of right wing noobs coming out of the woodwork in RSP since the Trumpster won ?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.