Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
I see that phrase trotted out in the media all the time. Without getting political, you could change the nationality to any country or any city in the world and their leaders and media will refer to "the majority" of people in that manner.

But are any of us really hard-working?

This will not be the most accurate poll ever created, seeing how almost all respondents here have a "desk job"; one that allows them to spend time on Chit Chat at various times of the day.

To me, hard-working people are farmers, construction workers, manual laborers.
I fully admit that running a department in an office is hard work, as is dealing with company crises, or even sitting at a desk and being swamped with stuff that you need to get done. Mentally hard, especially.
So I'm not marginalizing people with desk jobs (that includes myself) but compared to ditch-diggers and port-a-potty cleaners, I personally can't rank myself as highly.

If you aren't working at this present time, but you are a dedicated team player when you are working (or were in the past), that definitely isn't the same thing as being a lazy bum in general.

So, with that in mind, don't sell yourself short...

Poll
On a scale of 1 to 10, one being the least and ten being the most, how hard-working do you feel that you are?
1 (I'd do anything to avoid work)
10 (I'm a frickin' workaholic)
      90 answers
Poll created by MABBY
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rudy
United States
No too far from Philly
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
I think I'll lay down for a bit...
badge
Things are looking up!
mbmbmbmbmb
My job is mostly reactionary, so I finish my work and then I do other things (BGG/VGG) while I wait for more work to come in. There is zero incentive to look for or create more work to do. I like to think I can work hard but the truth is I often sit on my butt and wait.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boaty McBoatface
England
County of Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
How many at your company work?

Half!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
¡dn ʇǝƃ ʇ,uɐɔ ı puɐ uǝllɐɟ ǝʌ,ı
Canada
Chestermere
Alberta
flag msg tools
badge
There are 10 kinds of people who understand binary: Those who do, and those who don't.
mbmbmbmbmb
tickmanfan wrote:
My job is mostly reactionary, so I finish my work and then I do other things (BGG/VGG) while I wait for more work to come in. There is zero incentive to look for or create more work to do. I like to think I can work hard but the truth is I often sit on my butt and wait.

This is me, as well.
I work smart, not hard.
When the need arises, I can punch above my weight. But, given the chance, I'll goof around until I have enough to keep me occupied for longer stretches at a time.
My stress levels are really low. I spend more time deciding what to put into my burrito than I do obsessing about work details.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
jeff
United States
Cumberland
Rhode Island
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmb
I work way harder outside of my job, which is why I'm on here all day and not during nights or weekends.

My job is boring as hell and I do it for a paycheck and benefits.

When I'm doing something I enjoy, I will easily work until I drop.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John James
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I used to climb trees with chainsaws and build stone walls outside in January for work. I do things because they are hard. Elevator/escalator, no thanks I'll take the stairs. I can play Magic Realm and Dwarf Fortress.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bryan Thunkd
United States
Florence
MA
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Riddle
United States
Oxford
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I work because I am paid well to do so. I work hard enough to be thought of positively by co-workers and managers but not that hard overall. So 6-7.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Exit 191
United States
Buckeye
Arizona
flag msg tools
Look to the past, learn for the future.
badge
So it begins (trainings this week and next, then students), cutting into my games time. :p
mbmbmb
I teach 2nd grade, so I am not sure if there is a number high enough.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Eckman
United States
Oviedo
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've done jobs up and down the spectrum, from getting up at the crack of dawn to feed cattle and plant orange groves, to going to bed at the crack of dawn because you were up all night working on a video game. Both of those examples were hard work, but personally, the latter was harder.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Walking on eggshells is not my style
United States
North Pole
Alaska
flag msg tools
badge
Ever had a job where the laziest people don't see themselves as overworked?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Robbins
United States
Alcoa
Tennessee
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've worked outside in the heat of summer and the cold of winter. But I couldn't compare it to what firefighters are doing now in East Tennessee.

"I'm the hardest worker." ranks up there with, "I learn fast." for job applicants who likely qualify for neither.

I've worn a hard hat, steel toed boots, gloves, and safety glasses to ensure my survival or ability to work the next day. I've also had a desk.

The desk was not hard work.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmb
MABBY wrote:
tickmanfan wrote:

This is me, as well.
I work smart, not hard.
When the need arises, I can punch above my weight. But, given the chance, I'll goof around until I have enough to keep me occupied for longer stretches at a time.
My stress levels are really low. I spend more time deciding what to put into my burrito than I do obsessing about work details.

I have a quote...

"It's my job to make my job easier"
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Gary Heidenreich
United States
Milwaukee
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
MilwaukeeTEG
badge
mbmbmb
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff
United States
Pensacola
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Here's the thing - I love my current job, which makes it hard to think of it as work. I'd probably still want to do this even if I wasn't paid - but I am, and reasonably well.

...so, as a result, it's difficult for me to think of myself as 'hard working' despite long hours and eagerness to go to work, because mentally I'm not sure if I think of it as work, really.

Now, the reality of my job is there are days I get paid to sit around and watch TV, and there are days that I'm on the go all day. So, it kind of depends on the schedule.

I decided to answer the poll on my personal feelings and my known tendency to avoid/procrastinate work at home, so I said '4'.

Bottom line: I really don't think I'm that hard of a worker, unless it's something I really enjoy, in which case it's not work.

(edited because typing...)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mystery McMysteryface
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I work smart and have enough down time because I plan well ahead and get things done way before they are due. That way, unexpected phone calls and interruptions don't make me stress to meet deadlines.

However, the hardest job is being a parent and wife. Because....there is NO downtime. I'm working ALL THE TIME.

And my daughter will soon be 16 years old!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Celina
United States
University City
MO
flag msg tools
mb
I'm a stay at home mom, so my work is sporadic. I have a lot of down time, but have to be ready for things to explode at a moment's notice. Some weeks I do a better job of planning/clearing the decks then others.

I'm also a robotics coach. That's seasonal. During the season, things hop. We are almost finished, just in time for the holidays, which is nice. My family is happy to have my attention again.

Mostly my jobs are support staff type stuff. I like that, I have a pretty stress-free life. My husband, however, works constantly. I appreciate him TONS.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.