Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
So I just finished the first scenario with two friends. I'm wondering if we maybe played it wrong or the first scenario just isn't that hard. An enemy attacked us exactly zero times.

Just to make sure I have this right, an evade action, if successful, neutralizes and exhausts an enemy. Hence we did this constantly. I played the ally that allows me to have an additional action on my first turn, I was Wendy and I went around evading monsters in every location. Then the two dudes with guns would come and take care of them. They never attacked because of this. If I missed an evade, oh well, I just evaded again. If the other two players missed an attack, oh well, no damage.

How does this work, thematically? I go to a location, the enemy engages with me, and then I tire it out so much after it tries to find me, it has no energy left to attack? It just felt weird that I was neutralizing enemies as Wendy.

Is anyone else finding this to be the case?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
So - you can only evade engaged enemies if I recall. Also - if you miss your evade action - the monster should get an attack of opportunity if they are engaged with you. You account for that? (I need to check the rules again... but I'm pretty sure you can't evade a monster you aren't engaged with.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:

How does this work, thematically? I go to a location, the enemy engages with me, and then I tire it out so much after it tries to find me, it has no energy left to attack? It just felt weird that I was neutralizing enemies as Wendy.

I always pictured it more as tripping the enemy or getting them tangled in something.

Sounds like you are playing it correctly though.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
SoylentRed wrote:
So - you can only evade engaged enemies if I recall.

Correct.

SoylentRed wrote:
Also - if you miss your evade action - the monster should get an attack of opportunity if they are engaged with you. You account for that?

Only if they have Retaliate.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jean-Philippe Thériault
Canada
Montreal
Quebec
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Wendy -> tank
Guys with guns -> DPS

Seems like the only issue is you feel a theme disconnect.

Also I think in order to fight the DPS dudes need to engage, which is one action...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Also I think in order to fight the DPS dudes need to engage, which is one action...

No, you only need to be in the same location as a target to attack.

Downsides for missing:
Engaged with you - Retaliate means it hits back
Engaged with another player - Retaliate means they hit other player. You deal damage to the other play since you missed
Exhausted - None

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dee
Sweden
Stockholm
flag msg tools
mb
XDarkAngelX wrote:
Wendy -> tank
Guys with guns -> DPS

Seems like the only issue is you feel a theme disconnect.

An investigator is free to attack an enemy in another investigator's threat area (assuming same location of course) but, if the skill check fails, the attacking investigator deals their attack damage to investigator with whom the enemy is engaged.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matthew McFarland
United States
Floresville
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The first scenario isn't that hard, no; there aren't even that many enemies to draw. If that was too easy, just bump up the Chaos Bag. Of course, that makes the game take a while, too. With three investigators that's 6 clues to get out of the Study, and 9 to get past the barrier. Let alone the fifteen health the Ghoul Priest has, and he absolutely won't engage Wendy unless she's the last one left.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brad Ficek
United States
Erie
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Downsides for missing:
Engaged with another player - Retaliate means they hit other player. You deal damage to the other play since you missed
Exhausted - None

Right, the exhausted - none part is what makes attacks easy to circumvent. When you evade a monster it is exhausted and not engaged with anyone, hence you missing an attack has zero ramifications period. Right?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brendan Lapsley
United States
Verona
WI
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Nez477 wrote:
valpocarnie wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Downsides for missing:
Exhausted - None

Right, the exhausted - none part is what makes attacks easy to circumvent. When you evade a monster it is exhausted and not engaged with anyone, hence you missing an attack has zero ramifications period. Right?

Right.

However, it sounds like you only played the first scenario, where this strategy works great. In the other scenarios, this strategy would take a while and time is NOT on your side.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brent Bergwall
United States
Carpentersville
Illinois
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I think it make thematic sense in that evading means you have the monsters attention (it must be engaged with you) and your are running hiding maybe ducking in somewhere it can not follow. It is wasting its time trying to catch/find/get to you so that is why it becomes exhausted.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
mathew rynich
United States
Connecticut
flag msg tools
Argama Flight Crew
badge
INFERNO BLADE!
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes sounds like you played right. Also congrats on playing Wendy correctly. It seems like a lot of people are concentrating on attacking enemies because it's very empowering, but this is a horror game and running from Jason or Michael Myers is usually more effective.

The first scenario is pretty easy. There are definite jumps up in difficulty from 1 to 2 to 3. Three is very challenging on standard difficulty.

Thematically I suspect you made the enemy chase you and then eluded it by hiding, gave it a false trail to follow or perhaps you manage to trap it behind a locked door. Somehow you threw it off your trail for a turn. In any event it's still busy dealing with whatever you did and therefore is exhausted.

Also note some enemies are easy to fight, some are easy to evade and everywhere in between in the core scenario.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MC Shudde M'ell
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
In terms of theme, it's worth noting that Enemies only miss if you Evade. If you think of the whole turn as happening at once, Evade can simply mean a swing and a miss on the Enemy's part.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Patrik Severinsson
Sweden
Sundbyberg
Sundbyberg
flag msg tools
...microbrewed beer.
badge
...more hops, better die rolls.
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
However, it sounds like you only played the first scenario, where this strategy works great. In the other scenarios, this strategy would take a while and time is NOT on your side.

Evading actually works pretty good in the second scenario as well. We found that it was more action efficient to evade and move away from enemies, than to kill them (except a few that needs to be dealt with).
We had a group of hunters constantly at 1-2 spaces away from the investigators (Wendy+Roland). Any newly spawned enemies were evaded and left to join the group. We usually managed to get all the clues from a location before we had to move on.

But I think it's good that there are more ways to deal with threats than just to kill it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
D H
msg tools
mbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Downsides for missing:
Exhausted - None

Actually, an enemy with Retaliate will counter-attack any investigator who misses them, regardless of whom they're engaged with. But, yes, since you missed you get to do damage to your friend as well! Fun!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mathias Heilmann
Germany
Essen
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gaffa wrote:
valpocarnie wrote:
XDarkAngelX wrote:

Downsides for missing:
Exhausted - None

Actually, an enemy with Retaliate will counter-attack any investigator who misses them, regardless of whom they're engaged with. But, yes, since you missed you get to do damage to your friend as well! Fun!
Also don't forget that you will hit your partner if you fail an attack on an enemy that is engaged with another investigator.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Boian Spasov
Bulgaria
Sofia
flag msg tools
We are the knights who say...
badge
Ni!
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:

SoylentRed wrote:
Also - if you miss your evade action - the monster should get an attack of opportunity if they are engaged with you. You account for that?

I can't find this rule and I thought retaliate works only against attack actions. Probably I missed something. Care to point me to the relevant text in the rulebooks? (Only relevant text I found was about missing a skill check while attacking)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Viet Tran
msg tools
yeah I think evading is really strong. I dont use it as much as a should (coming from lotr lcg I want to kill everything! and am very adverse to taking damage) but it seems like you can even take a monster without hunter to a room with you evade it and leave it there (sort of like locking the door behind you) granted you should probably grab all the clues from that room first.

The biggest issue i had with mass evade was if it was in a room that I needed to stay in or needed to back track to I would find myself engaged with multiple enemies at one time and i would spend my entire turn evading each enemy. I guess I just tried to push everything back and eventually it caught up to me. This is more of an issue in the latter scenarios.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver Broom
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
valpocarnie wrote:
SoylentRed wrote:
So - you can only evade engaged enemies if I recall.

Correct.

SoylentRed wrote:

Couple of errors here :

1. Enemies with Retaliate don't attack you back for missing your Evade action, they only attack if you miss an Attack action

2. An "Attack of Opportunity" is an attack which happens if an investigator is engaged with an enemy and performs an action other than Fight, Evade, Parley or Resign
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeremie Miller
msg tools
"Exhaust" is a game term, outside of the actual story, so I don't see the enemy as actually being tired.

Also I am not sure on this:

"Also - if you miss your evade action - the monster should get an attack of opportunity if they are engaged with you. You account for that?"

I don't think the Retaliate keyword works on evades, only attacks. From the Rules Reference:

"Each time an investigator fails a skill test while attacking
a ready enemy with the retaliate keyword, after applying
all results for that skill test, that enemy performs an
attack against the attacking investigator."

So if you fail an evade action I don't think there is an attack of opportunity. Is there another section of the rulebook I am missing?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
Just for everyone’s convenience:

Retaliate
Retaliate is a keyword ability.

Each time an investigator fails a skill test while attacking a ready enemy with the retaliate keyword, after applying all results for that skill test, that enemy performs an attack against the attacking investigator. An enemy does not exhaust after performing a retaliate attack.

• This attack occurs whether the enemy is engaged with the attacking investigator or not.

Evade, Evade Action
"Evade" is an action an investigator may take during his or her turn in the investigation phase.

To evade an enemy engaged with an investigator, that investigator makes an agility test against the enemy's evade value (see "Skill Tests" on page 18).

If the test is successful, the investigator successfully evades the enemy (see below). (This occurs during step 7 of the skill test, per "ST.7 Apply skill test results" on page 26.)

If the test fails, the investigator does not evade the enemy, and it remains engaged with him or her.

• If an ability "automatically" evades 1 or more enemies, no skill test is made for the evasion attempt.

• Any time an enemy is evaded (whether by an evade action, or by card ability), the enemy is exhausted (if it was ready) and the engagement is broken. Move the enemy from the investigator's threat area to the investigator's location to mark that it is no longer engaged with that investigator.

• Unlike the fight and engage action, an investigator can only perform an evade action against an enemy engaged with him or her.

Happy posting

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phoenix Bird
Antarctica
msg tools
mbmbmb
My take is Evade is just fine. Nice to see a solution other than violence applied to the Mythos.

It costs an action per turn so if you have 3 enemies engaged with you, you need to spend three actions.

If you have three enemies engaged with another investigator you must take 3 engage actions to get them off them.

Some foes are worth victory points and no amount of evading will put them into your victory display.

Phoenix
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris McDonald
United States
Louisville
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Evading also doesn't get rid of doom on enemies.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scourn1
United States
Pittsburgh
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
Yea, remembering the theme here is important. Besides Roland and Skids, a FBI Agent and someone whos got nothing to loose your standard person isn't going to fight a alien murder horror creature. Everyone else runs and lets the real fighters fight. Just like real life. Im sure wed all imagine wed like to shot up some horrid creatures like these, but if the reality came and they were there, best to let the army handle it. OR at least trained people.

This is something our group forgets though, evading is powerful and should be used more then straight up everyone wants to murder
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Soylent Green
United States
Minnesota
flag msg tools
Stop hovering over me!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Phoenix_Bird wrote:
Just for everyone’s convenience:

Retaliate
Retaliate is a keyword ability.

Each time an investigator fails a skill test while attacking a ready enemy with the retaliate keyword, after applying all results for that skill test, that enemy performs an attack against the attacking investigator. An enemy does not exhaust after performing a retaliate attack.

• This attack occurs whether the enemy is engaged with the attacking investigator or not.

Evade, Evade Action
"Evade" is an action an investigator may take during his or her turn in the investigation phase.

To evade an enemy engaged with an investigator, that investigator makes an agility test against the enemy's evade value (see "Skill Tests" on page 18).

If the test is successful, the investigator successfully evades the enemy (see below). (This occurs during step 7 of the skill test, per "ST.7 Apply skill test results" on page 26.)

If the test fails, the investigator does not evade the enemy, and it remains engaged with him or her.

• If an ability "automatically" evades 1 or more enemies, no skill test is made for the evasion attempt.

• Any time an enemy is evaded (whether by an evade action, or by card ability), the enemy is exhausted (if it was ready) and the engagement is broken. Move the enemy from the investigator's threat area to the investigator's location to mark that it is no longer engaged with that investigator.

• Unlike the fight and engage action, an investigator can only perform an evade action against an enemy engaged with him or her.

Happy posting

Phoenix

Very clear - thanks!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.