5 Posts

Space Hulk (second edition)» Forums » General

Subject: Rules about heavy flamer and line of sight rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Le Jedi Fou
France
flag msg tools
Hello. I have the 2nd edition of Space Hulk. I haven't played in a looooong time, and I was reading the rule book. While it's mostly clear, I have several problems concerning the use of the heavy flamer and the line of sight/fire arc.

1- In a corridor a figure blocks the line of sight for other figures behind it. But in a room, what is the rule about blocking line of sight ? Can a Space Marine in a room shoot any Genestealer in the same room if it is in its arc of fire ?

2- When do the genestealers roll the dice against a fire patch in case of a chain of fire ? Right when the fire patch is placed and before placing another fire patch ?

3- Stacking flamer markers. Can you chose for each square if you stack another flamer marker ? Do you have to do it for the whole chain of fire ? Do you have to do it for every square you flame past the first one you do?
* Example : You put a flamer marker on Square A, then two flamer markers on Square B, then two flamer markers on Square C, then one on Square D, then two on Square E. Is it valid ?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
1. The example in the rulebook gives the impression that being in the room a has an effect on LOS. It does not. It does not matter if the Marine is in a room or not, the geometry of the situation determines if the Marine can see the target and shoot at it. The Marine can shoot at any target (or square) that he can see, and is in his arc of fire. If the path between the Marine and the target is not blocked.

2. When the fire marker (patch) is placed, put the Genestealer on top of the template. Then roll to see if it is killed. If yes, remove it immediately. If not, it is still there, blocking LOS.

3. Remember, you place every flame marker one at a time. You can only "chain fire" another flame marker into the last square flamed, or a square adjacent to that square. Placing a second marker in a square follows the same rule. Your example is valid as long as the squares conform to the placement rule (next marker placed in or adjacent to the previous marker). And, you cannot place a third marker in a square.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Jedi Fou
France
flag msg tools
Thank you for your reply !
Point 2 and 3 are really clear now but 1 is still blurry.
How do you check line of sight ? The rules are not clear about this. The rulebook says
"A Space Marine can see straight ahead
and to the side for an unlimited distance
within the confines of a space hulk, as
long as there is nothing blocking his view.
If there is a model, wall, corner, door or
flamed square between the Space Marine
and his target then he cannot see it.
"
Is there a consensus for checking line of sight ? Do you draw a line between the center of the space marine square to the center of the Genestealer square ? Do you drawn a line from the front edge to another edge ? What if the line goes right between 2 models ?
(I will try to post example pictures later to be more accurate about that)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Le Jedi Fou
France
flag msg tools
Example of LoS as seen in the rule book

Example 1 of LoS from the center of a figure to the center of another figure. This one touches the corner of a wall

Example 2 of LoS from the center of a figure to the center of another figure. This one doesn't touch anything

Example 3 of LoS. From edge to edge

Example 4 of LoS. From corner to corner

Example 5 of LoS. The method is not relevant here. The problem is about the line of sight going between a wall corner and a figure but not going through any of them.

I am playing Star Wars Imperial Assault which is really clear about all these scenarios and you can tell for each one if you can or cannot shoot at it. But, to me, the rules for Space Hulk 2nd edition are not clear at all. So if you can tell me for each one if it's valid or not, it would help me.
Thanks

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark
United States
San Diego
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Those are great illustrations. Nice job.

I was wrong about the room not making a difference. I fell back on Fourth Edition rules, which I use.

Second Edition LOS does depend on the if the Marine is in a room, or not. As shown in your "Example of LoS as seen in the rule book." It is specific for rooms.

Third Edition is even more restrictive. It has the same rule about a room, and further states a model can only see around a corner if it is next to the corner.

Now, pretend for the rest of the discussion, we are not talking about rooms. But, are talking about a Marine firing around a corner OR any other obstruction.

The rule is deceptively simple. LOS is blocked if there is an obstruction between the Marine and his target. It gives no further guidance. It does NOT say "center of a figure to the center of another figure." Nor, "edge to edge, " or "corner to corner." And, does not address the situation in Example 5 with both sides of the LOS obstructed. Since those situations almost only come up with rooms, the room rule applies. I would say in the absence of further guidance (and again, pretending the Examples are NOT rooms), Examples 1, 2, 3, and 4 are valid. Personally, I think Example 5 is not.

Fourth Edition is more clear. It does not have a "Room rule." And, does not draw a straight line. Instead, it uses geometry. Look at your first illustration. The Marine is THREE squares from an obstruction (the corner). He can only see a target THREE squares or more beyond the corner. So, he could see the Genestealer in the far corner of the room. It is three squares from the obstruction. The squares between the Genestealer and the corner are not in the Marine's LOS.

In Example 2, the Marine in front of Marine A is TWO squares from the obstruction. He can see TWO squares or more from the corner. Example 5 would still be blocked.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.