Subject: Anniversary Edition Email Update! rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Just received this a few seconds ago from ARES. Maybe now people will stop being whiny about the delays.

Quote:
Dear Roboman

I am writing to give you an update about the production status of the WAR OF THE RING ANNIVERSARY RELEASE. Before delving into the details, which may be are not too interesting for you, let’s address the main concerns/questions we receive from people, like you, who pre-ordered this product.

- Am I EVER going to receive my Anniversary Release?
o Yes, of course you are! We are fully committed to delivering it to you, as soon as possible, with a production quality you will be entirely satisfied with.

- WHEN I am going to receive it, then?
o With a production so complex, there can always be one more problem along the way. The current schedule (see below to find out the reasons of this further delay), is that we will ship out of factory in the first half of January; and we will most likely ship the Anniversary Release to you in February.

- I am tired of waiting. Can I get a refund?
o Yes, you can. Just ask us and you will get a full refund, no question asked. Please note that the Anniversary Release is sold out, though, and we have a long “waiting list” of people who could not place in order. If you cancel your order, there will be not a possibility to go back on your decision.

Now, let’s go in some detail about the reasons of this further delay.
As you possibly remember from the update we published on our website in September, most of the components (including the full set of painted miniatures, the dice, the cards) are ready since a few months, and we were just waiting for the last components to be produced to start assembly and shipping.

The main issue delaying us, at that point, was that Anniversary Release was (and still, in part is, is) a big challenge in terms of packaging: the elegant figure trays must co-exist safely in the same box with the large, heavy game boards and hard-bound volumes in a slipcase. This is something we knew could be a problem, and we have been monitoring this aspect of the production closely at every step.

In September, we were waiting for final pre-production copies to test the finished packaging. We found out, however, we could not approve them and start production, as we had hoped to. We discovered the trays were in danger of being deformed by the weight of the other components, and we had to find the best solution to handle this problem.
First, we made the trays thicker, and redesigned some of them to improve the way they layered on top of each other. This first round of improvement, however, was not sufficient. After further testing, we realized that the only solution was to include additional inserts, to keep all trays separate from each other, and to provide a better distribution of the weight.

[To give you an idea of the passion we put in this product – we were not happy to just make these inserts as simple cardboard sheets; instead, we developed these inserts to be real pieces of art, with John Howe’s beautiful illustrations on a side and a full guide to the contents of each tray on the other side.]

There’s more to the delay, however, than just making the inserts to be beautiful rather than not.

All components in the production are interconnected, so the modification or addition of one item has consequences on several others. To Include these additional inserts, we had to redesign the game box, as the contents now had a different volume than before. The game is packed in an elegant, hot-foil stamped inner box, foldable with magnetic closure; then further protected by an artistic second box. These boxes are one of the most complex items in the production, as they are mostly hand-made, with cloth paper, special magnets to keep the inner box closed, hot-foill printing on cloth paper, and more. So, restarting the design of the inner and outer box was a big deal in terms of the delivery date, as these components take as much time to produce as a full game – around 8 weeks.

We delivered the final box design in October, matching the new content, now including the inserts; then, we had a further round of pre-production and testing done to assess the result, which was satisfactory.

Finally, we are now at the point where everything we can do ourselves is done (or at least we hope so!The unexpected can always happen, it’s never over until it’s over…). We are now waiting for final samples to be delivered to us, while mass production is going forward.
I am shy to give you an exact shipping date from our factory, as I would really hate to promise another date, then have another delay. However, I can tell you our current best estimate has the production of the final items scheduled for the 1st half of January.

I am sure you know that this project is very important for our company and for me personally, and I greatly appreciate your patience in bearing with us about the delay on the planned delivery date. Please remember that, in case you are not willing to wait any further, a full refund is always possible by contacting us.

My very best regards and my warmest thanks,

Roberto Di Meglio
Director of Production, Ares Games and co-designer of War of the Ring
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why the butt-hurt comment? Totally unnecessary.

Thanks for the post though, and although I got the same email the information being on BGG will surely be helpful to some.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmb
Butt hurt may have been harsh, maybe. Can we agree on whiney?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Yeah, now I can be butthurt about never getting the email updates. whistle
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Oliver
United States
Pompano Beach
Florida
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Its still lame that none of this was considered before the first 4 release dates were guessed at.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeta044 wrote:

I could go whiny

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
Jeeze they're making the box sound amazing!

Maybe I'll just scalp the minis...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rory
United States
Maine
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
zeta044 wrote:

Edited my original post

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Hardin
United States
Denver
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
roboman wrote:
zeta044 wrote:

Edited my original post

Compromise!!

And yeah the box sounds effin fantastic. Must have taken ques from the 2016 AEG Game night box of boxes. Hopefully this will actually have some decent content inside of the box as well.

devil

Yeah. I'm still bitter.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Team Ski
United States
Dover
Delaware
flag msg tools
badge
CHOMP!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
I appreciated the update and having been a Kickstarter back now for what seems like an eternity, I have NO problem with the delays. Nothing would piss me off more than crushed trays. The update made me even more excited about this thing. Magnetic closures? Yes please!

-Ski
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Christian Busch

Broomfield
Colorado
msg tools
mb
Teamski wrote:
I appreciated the update and having been a Kickstarter back now for what seems like an eternity, I have NO problem with the delays. Nothing would piss me off more than crushed trays. The update made me even more excited about this thing. Magnetic closures? Yes please!

-Ski

Totally agree. I was reading along and, oh? whatyousay? inner box with foldable magnetic closures? art all over the inserts? mmm. Now I'm even more pumped about this game. I'd like to see some more pics but I can deal.

I do have to wonder if there were any tears shed for every test package they maliciously dropped and busted in the name of progress ;-)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Barry Miller
United States
Saint Charles
Missouri
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb

Regarding the insert packaging, which seems to be their hang-up, they (and all publishers) can definitely take a lesson from Riot Games, and how they packaged Mechs vs. Minions!

The components in a box of Mechs vs Minions are what I imagine is the equivalent of what we'll find inside the Anniversary Edition box of WotR.
The custom trays used for MvM are superb. They do the job extremely well in form, fit, and function!

Obviously this point is moot, as Ares has had a insert solution in the works for over a year and it's too late to start over. But I just wanted to show an example of how a "deluxe" game of this nature could be packaged right!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Daniel Maxfield
msg tools
mbmbmb
inner box, outer box, insert art?!?! What am I going to do waiting any longer for this to arrive. Too excited for this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Caleb Kester
United States
Ankeny
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd rather have an A+ product in a few months then a B+ product now.

This update got me super excited about all the care they are putting in. Props for them to give us an amazing product.

Plus I got other games to play until then.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mark Riley
United Kingdom
Bridport
Dorset
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Agreed. Upset I never get any of these status reports though cry
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Scott Bulger
United States
Fuquay-Varina
North Carolina
flag msg tools
Wow! A lot of thought, consideration and money spent on making these right! Very meticulous, indeed.

I've gotta give Ares credit for looking out for us.

I will be more than happy to wait. The mini strongholds and mountains should look great on this board!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
dave evans
United Kingdom
iPSWICH
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thank goodness Ares have finally got some customer service together and put a mailing list together. I am pleased and all can be forgiven.

A perfectly reasonable expectation I think - not at all whiny.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I just wish they would show us some sample pictures. With the CE there was a complete sample to drool over while we waited. Some pics of this version, even showing some of the failed designs, would be very cool.

I am very excited for this, and as others have said, I don't mind waiting for a great product.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nando The Rebel
msg tools
mb
Probably I will regret of my decision, but I will be asking for a refund after all of these delays and lack of pictures to prove that the game is indeed being produced.

I just got a cold feet from it.

I am ready for whatever you call me...I dont care.

One thing I must say, I never complained about delays, I just don't think that this thing will be worth it and I am worried that are no pictures to show. They say that the minis, dice, cards, bags and etc are ready. So, why they don't post any photos?

In any case, I just want to let you know that later on today a spot will be up for grabs... I am not sure how it works. Whether there is a waiting list or a first come, first served basis... but, my spot will be free.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
kergen ramirez
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rebel wrote:
Probably I will regret of my decision, but I will be asking for a refund after all of these delays and lack of pictures to prove that the game is indeed being produced.

One thing I must say, I never complained about delays, I just don't think that this thing will be worth it and I am worried that are no pictures to show. They say that the minis, dice, cards, bags and etc are ready. So, why they don't post any photos?

In any case, I just want to let you know that later on today a spot will be up for grabs... I am not sure how it works. Whether there is a waiting list or a first come, first served basis... but, my spot will be free.

Your choice it's not cost you anything I'm sure some one will be pleased to benefit.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andrew Poulter
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rebel wrote:

I don't think there is any harm in waiting, you can still cancel nearer the delivery date. I would hate to see you regret the decision.

I would expect to see photos once they have a finalised proof copy in their hands.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kristofer Bengtsson
Sweden
Kävlinge
flag msg tools
designer
War of the Ring: Official FAQ Master! Webmaster of www.warofthering.eu Author of the War of the Ring Companion
badge
- This is My Hour!
mbmbmbmbmb
jbbnbsmith wrote:
I just wish they would show us some sample pictures. With the CE there was a complete sample to drool over while we waited. Some pics of this version, even showing some of the failed designs, would be very cool.

I am very excited for this, and as others have said, I don't mind waiting for a great product.

I just exchanged some emails with Roberto and they will do an article with pictures. He couldn't say exactly when (I assume a couple of weeks) it should be up but it will be done.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Derry Salewski
United States
Augusta
Maine
flag msg tools
badge
. . . give a ship.
mbmbmbmbmb
The_Rebel wrote:

Dumb. In six months you can make even more money back. Warm your feet!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Van Deusen
United States
Austin
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
There have been pictures of the figures, dice, board, box and books in previous updates here, here and here.

Incidentally, I asked yesterday whether the insert changes have changed the dimensions of the box. Per Ares, the box will be 49x40x16cm, in line with the info in the last update.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Smith
United States
Bel Air
Maryland
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Veldrin wrote:
jbbnbsmith wrote:

I just exchanged some emails with Roberto and they will do an article with pictures. He couldn't say exactly when (I assume a couple of weeks) it should be up but it will be done.
Great news. Having some photos to gawk at will help the waiting go faster. I'm glad to hear hat they are putting a good bit of love into the packaging. As impractical as it may be, I still LOVE the big book CE box.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2 , 3  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.