United States
Greenville
Michigan
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
You have paid retail for the last time.
badge
The human race, to which so many of my readers belong, has been playing at children's games from the beginning, and will probably do it till the end, which is a nuisance for the few people who grow up. - GKC
mbmbmbmbmb
Saw a couple threads elsewhere that introduced this format to me.

Major Rules Changes:

1) There is one common deck of 250 cards (as in the variant Wizard's Tower) with no (basic) lands.

2) Players have infinite mana

3) Players have infinite life

4) Players have 0 cards in hand to start (alternatively, 1 card for each level you are as an official WOTC MTG Judge)

5) Players must play every card as soon as it is possible, and must activate all abilities possible each turn.

6) All creatures able to attack each turn must do so, and all creatures able to block each turn must do so.

7) First person to break a rule loses.

You're probably going to want to have the comprehensive rules available when you play.

Some further reading:
http://judgetower.pdxmtg.com/
https://www.reddit.com/r/magicTCG/comments/2ki4le/judge_towe...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeff Wiles
United States
Macon
Georgia
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb

8) Make sure the Tower contains Opalescence, Nether Void, Shahrazad, Pyromancy, Chains of Mephistopheles, Humility, and bunch of old cards with horrible templating.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dan Regs
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I've had some hands-on time with a judges tower and it's really more of a teaching tool than a game. Most judge towers (as I understand it) are specifically designed to teach the interaction of continuous abilities known as the Layer system.

Stuff like

Creatures that are NOT square (IE: 1/4 or 5/3 but not 2/2 or 3/3).
Equipment that modifies power/toughness in uneven ways.
Enchantments that do the same (Dark Favor).
Several effects that change a creature's BASE power/toughness (Aven Mimeomancer).
Spells or abilities that modify power/toughness (Biting Rain).

and Inside Out, definately Inside Out.

And that's an EASY one.

The challenge is to flip over a card and be able to state it's name, color, text, and p/t box. Quite easy with 2-5 cards, but can get hairy when there's 15 cards out and there may be a dependency involved.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.