Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
I am willing to run another play-by-forum game of High Frontier, and I'm trolling for victims volunteers for the rocket capsules. Who wants to climb onboard?

I want to use the 2nd edition ruleset, with the poster map (I'll post the poster map version we'll use in this game.) This will be a full-up game with politics, combat, all the rules. We're reverting to the 2nd edition ruleset with 1 WT per income operation. None of the colonization rules or cards. This is the best ruleset I've seen for HF, and it's the one I like to play with.

Who's game?

Edited to add:

We'll use the March 2011 living ruleset, found here:

High Frontier Living Rules 13-FEB-2011

And the v4 poster map:

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kyle
United States
Up Nort' Der
Wisconsin
flag msg tools
designer
High Frontier PBF #17 - Failing spaceward!
badge
We must move forward, not backward, upward, not forward, and always twirling, twirling, twirling towards freedom!
mbmbmbmbmb
The last time I played HF was almost a year ago, but I'd love a chance to redeem the horrible mistake made in PBF#11.

Second edition (without Colonization) really was the sweet spot.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
Jackasses? You let a whole column get stalled and strafed on account of a couple of jackasses? What the hell's the matter with you?
mbmbmbmbmb
That's one. Room for four more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Billy McBoatface
United States
Lexington
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
KGS is the #1 web site for playing go over the internet. Visit now!
badge
Yes, I really am that awesome.
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm not in, but I just want to say I think it's awesome that the March 2011 living ruleset is in a file tagged 13-FEB-2011. NASA bureaucracy at its finest.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
"He who runs with aggression, walks without dignity."
mbmbmbmbmb
I'd like to play.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Paul Schorfheide
United States
Houston
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
No way I could learn this game via PBF, but I'll be lurking.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Two! Three more open spaces.

If you'd like to learn to play HF, you might read through PBF #13: Back to Basics, which is a basic game playthrough.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am in if you have a free spot ;)
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stefano Tine'
Italy
Genoa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Are we going to run auctions via email in a brisk manner? If so, count me in.

Sorry, spoke too soon. Not excited by playing 2nd edition HF on an older ruleset I would have to relearn again.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Pete Martyn
United States
Guilford
VT
flag msg tools
EXCELSIOR!!!
badge
ZOMGALOMES!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
Oh man, if I wasn't in my last semester of grad school, I'd probably take the plunge into space once more.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
the pete wrote:
Oh man, if I wasn't in my last semester of grad school, I'd probably take the plunge into space once more.

The dissertation's not finished yet? shake

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mike Ricotta
Japan
Okinawa
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm interested but I am going to be in Tokyo for a few days then most of next week in Hong Kong with just my phone. Don't know when you planned on starting. Ohh and clearly I am 13-14 hours ahead in time zones...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
I'm trying to start as soon as possible, Mike. If we drag on for a few more days with no volunteers, then I'll rope you in, okay?

For anyone far outside the USA time zones (I'm on Pacific Standard), if you're going to play you need to commit to putting bids down on auctions. You can always geekmail me with, "I'm willing to pay up to X on this auction."

All auctions should finish within 24 hours of when they start. Otherwise, the game just drags on. Geekmailing the moderator with a maximum bid really, really helps with pacing. Especially in the early, auction-heavy part of the game.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Three players have committed:

Woelf
temujin1206
sircrowin

Two more open spots on the board.

If this one goes well, I will absolutely run another game.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Woll
United States
Toledo
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

All auctions should finish within 24 hours of when they start. Otherwise, the game just drags on. Geekmailing the moderator with a maximum bid really, really helps with pacing. Especially in the early, auction-heavy part of the game.

I agree with this!
Thanks Robb for running one again! This is for sure my favorite ruleset as well. I will not be joining you all, but certainly watching. Enjoy your missions all!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Javier
Spain
Barcelona
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:
I'm trying to start as soon as possible, Mike. If we drag on for a few more days with no volunteers, then I'll rope you in, okay?

For anyone far outside the USA time zones (I'm on Pacific Standard), if you're going to play you need to commit to putting bids down on auctions. You can always geekmail me with, "I'm willing to pay up to X on this auction."

Agree

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
robbbbbb wrote:

Sounds good. Thank you for doing this!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Glenn Rowley
Australia
Nicholls
Australian Capital Territory
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you still need another, I am keen to play.
But, while I have read the rules several times, I am a complete novice at this game.
Cheers
Glenn R.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
That's four.

Woelf
temujin1206
sircrowin
rowleyg

Glenn: You need to commit to making your auction bids by Geekmail, since you're a few time zones removed from the rest of us. Geekmail me your max bid during auctions.

We're also playing the full game, with the expansions and the poster map. I'm not opposed to you playing, but you may be in over your head. You might find it fruitful to go back and read some of the other PBF games, like #1 or #2 or #3. Early stuff, from 3-4 years ago.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Lawrence Hung
Hong Kong
Wan Chai
Hong Kong
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am interested in how to play a game by forum. I wish to join in but I wish more to receive the new OSS edition before I kickstart the game.

Do you play it by forum with pure text or with Vassal module according to the postings? Will watch the developments closely.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Mustafa Ünlü
United States
Takoma Park
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If you are OK with having a complete newb join you, I would like to play.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Lawrence:

We're playing with the older, 2nd edition ruleset. The new Kickstarter will use the 3rd edition ruleset. I like 2nd ed better, so that's the game I'm running.

A good example of the format we use for these (mostly text) games is in PBF#10, which I also moderated:

PBF #10 - You Forgot Uranus
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bob Wooster
United States
Waterbury
Connecticut
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Any word on when we'll start?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Monday. I do better keeping up on weekdays. I'll clear everything on Monday morning and start it up.

Man your ships, and may the specific impulse be with you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Robb Minneman
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Okay. My day got messed up. Tomorrow. I'll put up a thread to start us tomorrow.

I've got the following five players:

Woelf
temujin1206
sircrowin
rowleyg
camustafa

Anyone who didn't get in on this one can Geekmail me and ask for consideration for the next one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
1 , 2  Next »   | 
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.