Subject: Is range counted around corners? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Philip Kristoffersen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
mb
I know that doors block range, and that "within range" is 3 spaces, but does it count when there is no line of sight? Can you shoot around corners? Do you do horror checks for monsters you can't for a corner?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Warium wrote:
I know that doors block range, and that "within range" is 3 spaces, but does it count when there is no line of sight? Can you shoot around corners? Do you do horror checks for monsters you can't for a corner?

Range IS counted around corners. Sometimes this feels a bit strange but the game has no line of sight rules whatsoever.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Philip Kristoffersen
Denmark
Horsens
flag msg tools
mb
Thank you!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MOHRING
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Eh, thats a flavor fail to me. The whole point of a horror check is that your investigator sees the monster and starts to go insane.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Austin Fleming
United States
West Covina
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Or hears gibbering and slorping noises coming from around the corner and starts to drive themselves insane imagining what might be coming towards them...
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt D
United States
Tacoma
Washington
flag msg tools
Bending bullets may be more of an issue for me.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
MICHAEL MOHRING
United States
Illinois
flag msg tools
Didnt you see wanted?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Justin Weber
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
also if you already saw the monster and ran around the corner, you still know it's there chasing you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jorgen Peddersen
Australia
Sydney
New South Wales
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Given range is three spaces, most of the time the 'around the corner' space is close enough that you would theoretically see most of that space anyway by trying to peek around it.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alexander Steinbach
Netherlands
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
As said, this rarely causes a "problem" in my opinion. In cases where it would be thematically "weird" to have vision, I believe the added streamlining trumps the minor effect of bending bullets.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Danny Frahm
Australia
Brisbane
Queensland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I count it if you can draw a line ANYWHERE between the two spaces. Because the way the tile spaces are this seems to be all the time.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Stephen Fazio
United States
California
flag msg tools
mb
Yeah, at first I thought this rule was weird and wished for a "line of sight" mechanic, but I was swayed pretty quickly. Now I find it simple and clear, if not quite intuitive. We haven't found any instances where we can't justify it thematically within a few seconds (like "the old bridge has gaps in the planks," or whatever).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Nicola Zee
United Kingdom
Amersham
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
FinalAttack wrote:
I count it if you can draw a line ANYWHERE between the two spaces. Because the way the tile spaces are this seems to be all the time.

I follow this house rule as well.

A target is in range if it is within 3 spaces and is in Line of Sight. Two spaces are in sight if a line can be drawn between any corner of the two spaces and the line does not pass through a wall or a door.

It's fairly close to the line of sight rules from the 1st edition.

The only time it leads to a difference from the official rules is for a few of the outdoor tiles. An example is two figures either side of the covered bridge.

There was one issue which occurred with the house rule that happened with Escape from Innsmouth because (following the letter of the house rule) a figure on the pier could not be seen because there was no sea tile to draw a line of sight across. So I can appreciate why the designed went for the KISS principle. But I introduced the house rule to avoid comments about shooting around corners and magic bullets, etc and so far its not caused any issues.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Tony Simons
United States
New York
flag msg tools
Range is blocked by doors/doorways -- but that suggests you cannot shoot or cast spells into another room from a doorway, which makes no sense to me. My leaning/house rule is that you can shoot/cast spells from a doorway, but that you can also duck and avoid the horror check. Responses?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Baker Odom
United States
Bluffton
South Carolina
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Bondor Noth wrote:
Range is blocked by doors/doorways -- but that suggests you cannot shoot or cast spells into another room from a doorway, which makes no sense to me. My leaning/house rule is that you can shoot/cast spells from a doorway, but that you can also duck and avoid the horror check. Responses?

My feeling is you can't have it both ways. Either have range counted through doors always or never.

The way you've proposed would provide a significant advantage to the investigators not intended by the designers.

EDIT: Spelling
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jeroen
Netherlands
Rotterdam
flag msg tools
click click click
mbmb

Note that for those of us (including myself) at some points the line-of-sight and range rules can indeed be counterintuitive, when we are also familiar with tactical miniatures games (like Descent, Imperial Assault).

Purposefully FFG has made this game not a tactical miniatures game, thereby abstracting those aspects. However, I still feel those abstracted rules work well within the context of the game, and can indeed be thematically justified.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.