Subject: Imp of the Perverse - Human Ability rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Jason B
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The Imp of the Perverse's human ability states: Before the Resolution phase, you may discard all cards of a suit (except ravens) and copy another players' amount.

Do the discarded or copied cards count when cancelling out ravens? For example, if you have 2 swords and 3 ravens in your hand and use the ability discarding swords, will you have 3 guaranteed skulking ravens?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I was going to say this looks remarkably like my question:

Imp of the Perverse

And then I saw you look remarkably like one of the players at the table over lunch whistle

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Hi guys. I'm answering the same on both threads.

An excellent question.

Ravens still must be used to sacrifice cards and IMP states that you are considered to be holding X cards. So, at the time the named suit is revealed you will determine how many are soaked up.

In your example, 2 Attack cards, 2 Ravens, 1 Victory.
Pitch the 2 Attack cards and be considered to have the same amount as 'Bob'.

Victory resolves first.
One Raven must be used to sacrifice the 1 Victory you hold, as it is the only card it can act upon.

Attack resolves and Bob holds 2 Attack. Your Raven sacrifices one and you have a 1 point attack.

OR Bob holds none.
You have two Skulking Ravens

----------

Perhaps Attack resolves first:

Bob has zero attacks, you sacrifice your Victory and get 1 Skulking Raven

Bob has one attack, you use one Raven. The other kills the Victory.

Bob has more than one attack, you may use one or both ravens.

So, it really hasn't changed anything at all.
Curt

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Curt Covert
United States
Sandy Hook
Connecticut
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
WJBode wrote:
The Imp of the Perverse's human ability states: Before the Resolution phase, you may discard all cards of a suit (except ravens) and copy another players' amount.

Do the discarded or copied cards count when cancelling out ravens? For example, if you have 2 swords and 3 ravens in your hand and use the ability discarding swords, will you have 3 guaranteed skulking ravens?

And in your example, discarding two swords means you have 3 Ravens.
If the named player has no Attacks, you have three Skulking Ravens.
If he has 3 Attacks, your Ravens sacrifice each of them.
If he has one, you have two skulking Ravens, etc

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Kevin Seachrist
United States
Pennsylvania
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Curt,

I'm glad that's the rule. The Imp tended to win games otherwise, so it seemed a little broken, and if his neighbors played to stop him, that could drag them down too.

My only concern was how many cards you have to display (not yet revealed). There's that minor bluffing aspect to the game (although we really never do much with it). I guess you display a raven for every card that Bob displays, then reconcile once he reveals? Since he might be holding ravens as well, you could get a refund of some unkilled ravens.

Example:
you target Bob and declare swords. you have 3 ravens in hand.
Bob displays three unrevealed cards once swords are the active suit.
You display three unrevealed ravens to match Bob's three cards.
Bob reveals a sword and two ravens.
You kill one raven and return the other two to your hand.

Hmm...I guess there's really no bluff there since you've already pitched all your swords, so any cards you display are going to be ravens at that point.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.