Kingdom Death: Monster» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Lantern Set Club bonuses rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ivan Green
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Hi, I've got a hypothetical question here :
If the bonuses from the Lantern Set "give Sharp and +2Acc to Clubs" didn't exist, how much would that effect the desirability of Club weapons and the Lantern Set itself?
I believe I read somewhere in the forums that the Lantern Set is already not worth crafting.
But let's say that in the midgame(or whenever you are close to start crafting the Lantern Set) you want to craft a new weapon, so do you choose a Club weapon, so that you could gain weapon prof with it and later on get the Lantern Set. Or do you choose a superior non-club weapon at the time, because you are not even gonna try craft to craft the set?
What I'm asking is, do you actively plan to go for the Lantern Set for the Club bonuses, because they are that good?
I hope some-one will indulge me here.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Adam T
United States
Florida
flag msg tools
If I were planning to use clubs all the way through a play through, then yes, I would plan to build the lantern set. +2Acc and sharp to your clubs is nothing to sneeze at, and keeps them relevant into the late game, and the other benefits of the lantern set aren't terrible, just not generally as good as other sets you can build at that tier.

That said, unless I was in a PotS campaign or were planning to super hunt the DBK, I don't feel that there are a lot of clubs worth investing in, especially since the club specialization bonuses are pretty meh.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
"not worth the effort" is relative; if your settlement struggles with resources and you never accumulated scraps early years and you don't have "quick" sources of iron (Phoenix, DBK OK, lion God is a bit too much... mineral gathering is somewhat erratic but works, and butcher wins and scrap hunting also help, if you are set to do that frequently), then you should focus on obtaining more full leather sets, instead of going for one lantern set.

however, when you get the hang of the game, making lantern armor while your guys are equipped with other, simpler gear is absolutely doable (I'd say easy peasy, if you are really preparing for it).

I like lantern gear, and while there is better for less hassle (rolling armor without calcification requires a bit of iron, but the rest of resources is not as rare), I found myself wanting one set in multiple campaigns now.

for one, having a couple of lantern helms and going to hunt an antelope is my best way of getting rid of the bone witch without making an intentional tpk.

It does not fit all situations, has a very specific utility, it's heavy, but lantern gear is absolutely an option, albeit an expensive one.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Green
Lithuania
flag msg tools
Ok so let's erase the Club part and instead what thematic bonus would the Lantern Set need to be on par with the other sets of that tier?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Brett Burleigh II
United States
Columbus
Ohio
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Clubs are great, because they trigger a lot of bonuses against monsters... Screaming antelope and a few others (can't recall atm). I have a green savior that rocks the club with proficiency and she already hits hard.

Now, is it worth going for the full Lantern just for this? Hey, if you're fat on resources, that full set is badass. Situational, albeit, but damn what a beast for a PoL campaign if you can master it.

Clubs are fun, because they're blunt and brutal... From a thematic standpoint, clubbing a beast and knocking it silly just seems right.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Alessio Massuoli
Italy
Terni
Umbria
flag msg tools
They await the King
badge
The Snarky Sloth
mbmbmbmbmb
CGLover wrote:
Ok so let's erase the Club part and instead what thematic bonus would the Lantern Set need to be on par with the other sets of that tier?

so, your question is not if lantern set is good without club bonus (it isn't, of course: that is the entire set bonus, ffs!), but you are actually polling opinions for variants that feel legit?

can't help a lot with that, I am afraid

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Michael Purser
United States
Holladay
UT
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
We built one for our most experienced survivor, who happened to luck into a Thunder Maul and continued to wield it right through the Watcher fight. By that fight he was hitting on anything but a one, and basically wounding the Watcher on anything but a one. He was a total badass.

Not sure if I'd go for it generally, but that sure felt nice.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ivan Green
Lithuania
flag msg tools
The point is I really hate the "give Sharp and +2Acc to Clubs" part and would like to replace it (if it isn't a main selling point of the set and doesn't make all clubs suck) with something else that would also make the set on par with the other sets of the same tier.
The easiest approach would be to just give more armor, but maybe some-one would like to help me brainstorm a more thematic fix

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.