12 Posts

BoardGameGeek» Forums » Gaming Related » Recommendations

Subject: Another plea for Christmas gift ideas rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I am trying to come up with 3-5 games for my Christmas wish list. I like to be surprised, but my husband doesn't like shopping blind so a list always helps. I'm looking for games the two of us would enjoy playing together.

So far my list consists of Islebound and Merchants & Marauders: Broadsides. I would add Finca but it's currently OOP, so I'm going to hold off until the reprinting. Considering: Trajan (not sure he would enjoy it), Xia: Legends of a drift system (might not get played due to playtime. Also pricey), Star Trek: Frontiers (same concerns as Xia).

So I'm looking for some community input based on the following:

- Holes in my collection and games you think I would like based on my taste (the random number in the comments box is my husband's rating for a game).

- As always, must accommodate 2 players.

- $30-$50 price range (this is flexible).

- I'm interested in newer games, but open to the tried and true.

- Not really looking for a filler, but nothing crazy long (45-60~ min is an ideal length for us). We prefer medium-ish weight games.

Here are some games my husband and I enjoy playing together:

Roll/Race for the Galaxy
Love Letter
Merchants & Marauders
San Juan
Splendor
Firefly: The Game

Themes we both enjoy:

Samurai
Ninja
Pirate
Sci-fi
Medieval

My taste preferences are definitely more Euro than his, but we overlap in a lot of areas. He loves Imperial Assault, but I am yet to play it.

Please, if you would be so kind, explain why you think I (we) would enjoy the game/s you suggest. Thanks so much for the input!

Edit/update:
I'm also interested in solo card games. Something I can play when I want to relax while my daughter naps. Minimal setup/tear down and has the same "flow" feeling as Jaipur and Splendor. Anything like that out there?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
WD Yoga
United Kingdom
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Mechs vs. Minions is brilliant!

MvM is a coop programming game which works for 2-4 players. You control mechs and put cards in their programming board, then execute the program. Your goal is vary from mission to mission, but usually will involve in stomping minions or blasting them (which is fuuuun!).

While the basic mechanic is simple, it is fun and engaging because you can boost your program (by putting a same coloured card on a slot), reprogram your board (by putting another coloured card on the slot). Your mechs do not have hit points so there is no player elimination but you can get damage (and the damage card might mess up with your program). You can repair a damage (by scrapping a drawn card) but there is the option to let the damage card stay and take advantage of it!

Caveat:
- it costs $75 + $5 shipping cost.
- it is going to be shipped on second week of December, I think.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Wilder
Canada
North York
Ontario
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I thought Xia was 3 player minimum. I was holding off for that reason. I love the look of the game, but if its just three + I don't know how often I would get it played. (Of course even with two player, my wife would not be a fan of it if I chose to follow a very aggressive path)

Would he be willing to play Patchwork with you? If not perhaps
A Feast for Odin. It might fill a tile-laying hole in your collection (but A Feast For Odin is much more than that).

You didn't list any deck builders, so perhaps try one of those. Dominion just got a second edition. It probably plays quicker than the time window you listed.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
S Squidpigge
United States
Utah
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
My wife is a reluctant gamer and even though this one can be a bit longer even she requests it.

Robinson Crusoe: Adventures on the Cursed Island

It plays great from 1-4 and if your enjoy theme you can't get much better than this one.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
desmothenes wrote:
I thought Xia was 3 player minimum. I was holding off for that reason. I love the look of the game, but if its just three + I don't know how often I would get it played. (Of course even with two player, my wife would not be a fan of it if I chose to follow a very aggressive path)

Would he be willing to play Patchwork with you? If not perhaps
A Feast for Odin. It might fill a tile-laying hole in your collection (but A Feast For Odin is much more than that).

You didn't list any deck builders, so perhaps try one of those. Dominion just got a second edition. It probably plays quicker than the time window you listed.

Thanks for the suggestion. We have played Dominion and enjoy it, but I guess not quite enough to purchase it unless maybe it turns up for a steal somewhere. We do enjoy the deck building mechanism (My husband used to be a huge MTG player), and I would like to fill that void in our collection. I have considered Arctic Scavengers, I just need to investigate it some more.

Concerning Xia: A while ago on kickstarter there was a 2 player expansion. I don't know if it's out yet or when it will be released, but I would buy the game with the idea of eventually acquiring the expansion. I have also read that the base is playable with two, but probably not quite as engaging.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
R Russell
Canada
Edmonton
Alberta
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Have you considered games that are a little more competitive? Something like 1812: The Invasion of Canada or A Few Acres of Snow or Duel of Ages II?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Perry Tatman
United Kingdom
Camberley
Surrey
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Gloom...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Freelance Police
United States
Palo Alto
California
flag msg tools
designer
mbmbmbmbmb
Soleia wrote:
We do enjoy the deck building mechanism (My husband used to be a huge MTG player), and I would like to fill that void in our collection.

Magic the Gathering has various "toolkits" that are inexpensive, if you stick to the ones that aren't out of print (?). : https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias%3...

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
rjr1968 wrote:
Have you considered games that are a little more competitive? Something like 1812: The Invasion of Canada or A Few Acres of Snow or Duel of Ages II?

Thanks, I'll check those out! Until recently I've avoided anything too competitive because I was afraid we'd get too mad at each other, but M&M: Broadsides looks pretty fierce, and I think we're ready for cutthroat. My husband hates losing, whether it's a co-op or competitive game, so it doesn't really make a difference there.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Cheesy_Nacho wrote:
Gloom...

Can't handle the "gloomy" theme.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Randy Ferguson
msg tools
Raptor. Just a solid 2 player game. Lots of interesting decisions to make and the tide can turn quickly with just a few cards. I've yet to find someone that didn't enjoy this game.

Karmaka. 2-4 player. Another one we are enjoying right now. Multi use cards, has a little take that, cards you use powers for can be claimed by the opponent and used in a future life (round).

Guilds of London. Good if you like multi-use cards and chaining combos.

Mr Jack Pocket - great two player game. Small and portable, easy to teach but surprising amount of strategy. (Can also buy the app).

Spector Ops - we just really like the intensity of this game. So many close calls and you can feel the net tighten around you. I feel like this is a board game version of The Fugtive with a futuristic theme.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
April W
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Thanks for the suggestions so far. Updated my original post with another request (blue text at the bottom).
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.