8 Posts

SeaFall» Forums » Rules

Subject: Dismiss - face down, face up, shuffling discards? rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Ecosmith Ecosmith
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
When you disniss a card, it goes on the bottom of the deck. Face up or face down?

Do you ever shuffle any decks once a game has started? The event deck fir example?

Eco

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David desJardins
United States
Burlingame
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
The event deck is shuffled every winter. You also shuffle decks on some occasions when you add cards to them or have an ability that lets you look through them.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
J Kaemmer
United States
Iowa City
Iowa
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Face Down.

Shuffle every winter.

You may also shuffle cards if you gain new cards such as from opening a box or completing a milestone.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Face down. Unless something tells you to shuffle a deck, the cards just cycle.

You'll never really get all the way through the event deck that way, but late in the game, we often had just three or four charts left in the research deck at any given time, so if you dismissed a chart, other players had a pretty good chance of drawing it right away. People were paying strict attention to the order they dismissed charts to keep the best ones from rising back to the top too fast.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
iswearihaveajob wrote:
Face Down.

Shuffle every winter.

You may also shuffle cards if you gain new cards such as from opening a box or completing a milestone.

Since the question referred to "any decks", it's worth noting that it's *only* the event deck that shuffles every winter (and when a new event is added). The advisors in the forum are flushed (and dismissed to the bottom of the deck) each winter, but the deck itself just cycles. The treasure deck is freely searchable, so shuffling is irrelevant. Any other decks just cycle.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Frank Pelkofer
United States
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hexprone wrote:
Face down. Unless something tells you to shuffle a deck, the cards just cycle.

You'll never really get all the way through the event deck that way, but late in the game, we often had just three or four charts left in the research deck at any given time, so if you dismissed a chart, other players had a pretty good chance of drawing it right away. People were paying strict attention to the order they dismissed charts to keep the best ones from rising back to the top too fast.

Interesting. My group hasn't seen more than about 5 Research cards (total) after 6 games.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Becq Starforged
United States
Cerritos
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
What game are you one?

Initially, the research cards seem a bit uninteresting. Until someone throws down several cards and explores something "impossible" and gets a big payoff as a result.

We've found that for the first few games, research cards weren't taken all that much. But as the easy pickings start thinning out, research cards start increasing in value.

Other factors:
(Box 3-4ish spoilers, I think)
Spoiler (click to reveal)
Available advisors might be a factor, too. Early advisors don't have a lot of research bonuses. Then you start getting a lot of Build and Trade advisors, and the Research options thin out dramatically. Then you get a huge influx of explorers with some really nice research bonuses, and people start giving it a try...

Having milestones that require research cards (or require exploration that would be impossible or highly risky otherwise) are another factor.

In Game 5, I explored a difficulty 11 site on the second turn, thanks in no small way to a couple of good research cards. I didn't get the milestone I was aiming to get, but the direct and indirect glory from that led to me winning early (turn 6). Research has picked up since then.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Casual Tryhard
msg tools
Our research deck also has...

Spoiler (click to reveal)
...fewer cards in it than it used to

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.