Subject: Refugia status, Mutation deck, and Macro metabolism clarification rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
Whether a refugia is active or inactive is only relevant during E1 (assigning bionts to and from refugia) and H1 (mutation purchase), right? The Autocatalytic Roll is perfomed for all refugia, regardless if they are active or inactive as long as there is a biont?

The cards underneath the top card of the four mutation decks are always hidden? A player buying a mutation for an organism with Sex will not know what will be revealed until the deck is roiled?

Each 1 rolled during a Cancer Event will generate one catalyst per red square (with or without organ cube) plus red biont? E.g. a Sea Star has a red biont indicating its Trophic level, and one red endosymbiont. It has not yet developed eyes or a brain. Two 1s are rolled for the Cancer Event and the owner will thus receive 8 catalysts of any colour combination. Is this correct?
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Phil Eklund
Germany
Karlsruhe
Baden Würtenberg
flag msg tools
designer
publisher
mbmbmbmbmb
Yes to all three questions.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Franz Derphausen
Germany
Düsseldorf
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
phileklund wrote:
Yes to all three questions.

Great, many thanks Phil!
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Hm, about that cancer biosynthesis - if you are really supposed to gain catalysts in the same quantity as microorganisms (number of ones multiplied by number of red chromosomes), maybe this part of the rules should be changed (emphasis mine):

D8. Cancer wrote:
Macro Biosynthesis. For every ‘1’ rolled, you generate one Catalyst of the color of your choice, added to your tableau pool.

We played that macros only get 1 catalyst per 1 rolled.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Why do you think it should be changed?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jack Bennett
United States
Rougemont
North Carolina
flag msg tools
designer
Play. Always.
mbmbmbmbmb
Because the rules very clearly state you get one Catalyst per 1:

Quote:
Macro Biosynthesis. For every ‘1’ rolled, you generate one Catalyst of the color of your choice, added to your tableau pool.

Not one Catalyst per 1 per red Chromosome, like you do during the Darwin roll:

Quote:
Each ‘1’ rolled is a protein dice. For each protein dice rolled in a Microorganism’s Darwin Roll, add a number of Catalysts equal to the number of red Chromosomes (Metabolism) it has.

If I hadn't seen this I would never even have questioned it, it's pretty clear in the rules! I'm wondering if Phil misspoke or if this is an intentional change.

EDIT: in the Cancer example, he rolls two 1s and gains two catalysts, but I don't have my cards in front of me to know if any of the organs listed in that example are red, so I'm not sure if that example confirms or contradicts the rule.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rich James
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
I see. I added a comment to the living rules about this. Hopefully, Phil will clarify.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jakub Ukrop
Slovakia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Glossary entry for Biosynthesis was updated, see this post.

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/article/24255874#24255874

The answer to OP's third question should be: No, you get just 2 catalists of any color - one per each '1' rolled.
All is fine

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Matt Deuber
United States
Baldwin
Maryland
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If a parasite attached to a macroorganism generates a catalyst due to a Darwin roll, what color is it?

Is it the color of the underlying bacteria or a color of your choice like in a Cancer roll?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sebastian Mankowski
United States
Washington
Dist of Columbia
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
It is the color of the parasite
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.