Hide
5 Posts

Harry Potter: Hogwarts Battle» Forums » Strategy

Subject: Game 7 (SPOILERS) 4-Hero Strategy rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Annie Tipton
msg tools
Please give me your most successful hero/proficiency combo for playing with all 4 heroes, game 7.

(I know this info has been posted in other overarching strategy threads, but I'd like pull out this detail into one conversation. We've tried several combinations and have had NO LUCK. We've won game 7 with 2 and 3 heroes but not with 4.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Harry / Charms
Neville / Herbology
Hermione / Flying
Ron / Transfiguration

The first three are easily the strongest. The card draw from Charms and Herbology are huge as it allows you to cycle your decks faster, not to mention being able to play seven cards per turn instead of five. Hermione is typically the money engine in the game, so she is most likely to be able to buy off control tokens when needed.

Ron's pairing is less critical as there isn't anything that works particularly strong with his ability. I like Transfiguration because there are quite a few cards with a 5 cost that either give two attack or an attack and card draw. Being able to replace Bernie Bott's or the Broomstick with something that has a bigger punch gives you more versatility and, again, cycle your deck faster. That said, DADA or Potions aren't bad choices for Ron either as they might help him get extra attack tokens needed to trigger his healing.

If you don't like that, Hermione / Transfiguration and Ron / Divination can be a strong setup as well.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Sean Fletcher
msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
davypi wrote:
Harry / Charms
Neville / Herbology
Hermione / Flying
Ron / Transfiguration

This is pretty close to my own favorite arrangement, though I typically advocate for Harry to take the Flying while Hermione gets Charms. The thinking among my typical play group is that it doesn’t matter who has Flying when you’re trying to trigger Harry’s ability, but Hermione is typically the player with the highest concentration of spells in her deck, making the opportunity to use Charms nearly a sure thing on each of her turns.

Ron’s deck is often built around the Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans, so he’s likely to have a lot of allies and hopefully at least one Polyjuice Potion. At that point, the Transfiguration is a fantastic way to line up all those parts optimally (and awesome in situations where you have the Polyjuice without any allies — ditch it for something else).

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
David Jones
United States
Wilsonville
Oregon
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
TheBoxmaker wrote:
This is pretty close to my own favorite arrangement, though I typically advocate for Harry to take the Flying while Hermione gets Charms. The thinking among my typical play group is that it doesn’t matter who has Flying when you’re trying to trigger Harry’s ability, but Hermione is typically the player with the highest concentration of spells in her deck, making the opportunity to use Charms nearly a sure thing on each of her turns.

The only reason I don't like this setup is that Hermione has to choose between playing four spells to trigger her innate ability or discarding two in order to trigger the proficiency. If you separate these cards, you get both. That said, Harry / Flying is another good pairing. Harry doesn't have any particular strengths, so as long as Hermione is there to help feed him influence, he can trigger this quite often without hurting himself. I usually give Hermione Transfiguration if she doesn't have flying. Once her deck is built up and she doesn't need the money, you can trade away the Time Turner or Beedle for one of her big spells. This typically means Ron picks up Charms.

Quote:
Ron’s deck is often built around the Bertie Bott’s Every Flavour Beans, so he’s likely to have a lot of allies and hopefully at least one Polyjuice Potion. At that point, the Transfiguration is a fantastic way to line up all those parts optimally (and awesome in situations where you have the Polyjuice without any allies — ditch it for something else).

I think I'm the only person on the forums who is not fond of the Bernie Bott's strategy. The game offers the players enough opportunities to generate attack tokens that I don't feel the need to focus on this, especially since I usually have one or two turns per game where I am throwing attack away because I don't want to take easy villains off the board. Similarly, BB is only going to come out every two or three turns and isn't guaranteed to come out the same turn your allies do, so its not a reliable source of attack. I think its more important to make sure he triggers his healing ability as often as possible. Sure, BB will help you do that, but what do on the turns when you don't have BB? I'm much happier giving Ron cards that give him two attack than giving him an ally that will only give him an extra attack 50% of the time. Either way you want to go about this though, it seems we agree that Transfigurations is best tool you can give Ron to accomplish this.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Moo Cow
msg tools
mb
davypi wrote:
TheBoxmaker wrote:

The only reason I don't like this setup is that Hermione has to choose between playing four spells to trigger her innate ability or discarding two in order to trigger the proficiency. If you separate these cards, you get both. That said, Harry / Flying is another good pairing. Harry doesn't have any particular strengths, so as long as Hermione is there to help feed him influence, he can trigger this quite often without hurting himself. I usually give Hermione Transfiguration if she doesn't have flying. Once her deck is built up and she doesn't need the money, you can trade away the Time Turner or Beedle for one of her big spells. This typically means Ron picks up Charms.

Quote:

I think I'm the only person on the forums who is not fond of the Bernie Bott's strategy. The game offers the players enough opportunities to generate attack tokens that I don't feel the need to focus on this, especially since I usually have one or two turns per game where I am throwing attack away because I don't want to take easy villains off the board. Similarly, BB is only going to come out every two or three turns and isn't guaranteed to come out the same turn your allies do, so its not a reliable source of attack. I think its more important to make sure he triggers his healing ability as often as possible. Sure, BB will help you do that, but what do on the turns when you don't have BB? I'm much happier giving Ron cards that give him two attack than giving him an ally that will only give him an extra attack 50% of the time. Either way you want to go about this though, it seems we agree that Transfigurations is best tool you can give Ron to accomplish this.

I'm with you on the beans - we don't build Ron around that card either. We just build him for attack, whichever way that comes around - sometimes it happens to be Ally cards, in which the beans ends up being a little more useful... But generally it's just getting him the best attack cards available.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.