Mage Knight Board Game» Forums » Rules

Subject: Move and Actions rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
Need clarification.

From what i read in the rulebook and what people say, you need to move then do an action and not they other way around. with that being said, you don't have to move then do an action, or move and don't have to do an action then you end your turn.

When it comes to actions example engaging combat, interacting with locals for hiring units or buying spells/artifacts. My question is how many actions can you take in a turn or it doesn't really matter, as long as you have the cards generate influence and attack combo's?

I would think you can b/c if you were to move between two rampaging enemies you will engage in combat for both of them as 2 separate actions. Also is this legal, I assault a mage tower and defeat the enemy and in the same turn i generate enough influence to buy a spell or recruit a unit?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Reverend Uncle Bastard
Canada
Toronto
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Rules, page 5 - A Player's Turn:

"c. If there are no mandatory actions, you may choose to perform one (and only one) of the following voluntary actions:...

d. You can do only one action each turn..."

Rules, Page 7, Combat with Enemies:

"2. Only one combat is allowed each turn. However in certain cases enemies from multiple spaces may be fought in that combat."

If you move in a way to trigger a rampaging enemy, that ends your movement and combat begins immediately. If that movement somehow manages to trigger two rampaging enemies you fight them both as a single combat.

In simple terms, you can move if you want, then you can perform up to one action. You can use as many cards from your hand as you want to do these two things, but only one movement and/or one action maximum.

If you engage in combat with a location, that is your one action for the turn. If you wish to recruit as well, you will have to wait until the next turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Carsten Jorgensen
Denmark
flag msg tools
rathmax wrote:
Need clarification.

1) From what i read in the rulebook and what people say, you need to move then do an action and not they other way around. with that being said, you don't have to move then do an action, or move and don't have to do an action then you end your turn.

2) When it comes to actions example engaging combat, interacting with locals for hiring units or buying spells/artifacts. My question is how many actions can you take in a turn or it doesn't really matter, as long as you have the cards generate influence and attack combo's?

3) I would think you can b/c if you were to move between two rampaging enemies you will engage in combat for both of them as 2 separate actions. Also is this legal, I assault a mage tower and defeat the enemy and in the same turn i generate enough influence to buy a spell or recruit a unit?

1) Correct. You may choose just to move or just to take an action. You just cannot do anything move related after doing your action.

2) ONLY one action is allowed each turn. However when interacting you may use all the influence you want for any combination of things to do on that site.

Fx at a monestary you could pay 7 infl to hire a unit, then use that unit to gain influence (if it had that ability) + maybe use more cards or skills for influence, then buy an AA from the monestary offer and/or use influence on healing points.

3) The answer to 2) also means you can only have a single combat in a turn. If you provoke 2 rampaging enemies, then you simply have to fight both in the same combat. If you are also attacking a site (could be a city provoking the 2 orcs or 2 dragons around it), then those provoked enemies join the fight - though you don't need to defeat them to take the site.

If there is a rampaging enemy next to a site you are attacking, but you didn't provoke it, you can choose to have it included in the fight anyway. I you know, that you can defeat it and would do so anyway next turn, you'll end up saving a turn and getting faster through your deck (good if behind the dummy or in multiplayer competitive).

So the bold is not allowed, since your are limited to a single action each turn.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Rathma P.
Canada
flag msg tools
Awesome thanks guys, that pretty much clarifies that.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Niko J
Finland
Turku
flag msg tools
Quote:
From what i read in the rulebook and what people say, you need to move then do an action and not they other way around. with that being said, you don't have to move then do an action, or move and don't have to do an action then you end your turn.

See rulebook page 5, A Player's Turn 5:

Quote:
Playing a Regular turn has two voluntary parts: movement, and action.

A.First, you may (but do not have to) move. You may reveal new map tiles during movement. See the “Movement” section later

B.Your movement may result in a mandatory action

C. If there are no mandatory actions, you may choose to perform one (and only one) of the following voluntary actions

D. You may do only one action each turn (mandatory or voluntary). If you want to move and/or reveal new tiles, you must do it before taking an action. You cannot move or reveal map tiles after an action.

First you move, if you want to. You might need to do a mandatory action, otherwise you may choose to do a voluntary action. But only one action and only after you've moved or decided not to move.

Quote:
When it comes to actions example engaging combat, interacting with locals for hiring units or buying spells/artifacts. My question is how many actions can you take in a turn or it doesn't really matter, as long as you have the cards generate influence and attack combo's?

As above, you can do only one action. If you did an assault action on the mage tower this turn, you can't do an interact action there, though you do get a free spell as written on the Mage Tower site description card.

Quote:
I would think you can b/c if you were to move between two rampaging enemies you will engage in combat for both of them as 2 separate actions.

That is incorrect, you would engage both of them at the same time as a single mandatory action. Rulebook page 7, Combat With Enemies 2a:

Quote:
It can happen that a single move provokes two rampaging enemies. You have to fight them both.

Quote:
Also is this legal, I assault a mage tower and defeat the enemy and in the same turn i generate enough influence to buy a spell or recruit a unit?

That would be two actions (assault + interact), which is against the rules as stated previously.

Danish ninjas are afoot! ninja and maple zombies zombie
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Córnea Cráneo
msg tools
Randor20 wrote:
rathmax wrote:
Need clarification.

1) From what i read in the rulebook and what people say, you need to move then do an action and not they other way around. with that being said, you don't have to move then do an action, or move and don't have to do an action then you end your turn.

2) When it comes to actions example engaging combat, interacting with locals for hiring units or buying spells/artifacts. My question is how many actions can you take in a turn or it doesn't really matter, as long as you have the cards generate influence and attack combo's?

3) I would think you can b/c if you were to move between two rampaging enemies you will engage in combat for both of them as 2 separate actions. Also is this legal, I assault a mage tower and defeat the enemy and in the same turn i generate enough influence to buy a spell or recruit a unit?

2) ONLY one action is allowed each turn. However when interacting you may use all the influence you want for any combination of things to do on that site.

Fx at a monestary you could pay 7 infl to hire a unit, then use that unit to gain influence (if it had that ability) + maybe use more cards or skills for influence, then buy an AA from the monestary offer and/or use influence on healing points.

You cannot use the influence provided by any unit you hire in the same turn. First, you get all the influence points you can from your cards and units, THEN interact hiring units, buying artifacts, spells...
Page 7 of the rulebook

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ben Kyo
Japan
Suita
Osaka
flag msg tools
Forward 1, Forward 2, Forward 3... siege attack 5?
badge
Why for this life there's no man smart enough, life's too short for learning every trick and bluff.
mbmbmbmbmb
corneacraneo wrote:
You cannot use the influence provided by any unit you hire in the same turn. First, you get all the influence points you can from your cards and units, THEN interact hiring units, buying artifacts, spells...
Page 7 of the rulebook

That's a valid reading of the rules, but it has been clarified that you can continue to generate influence during the interaction. The note on page 7 that you "cannot use an Influence effect of that Unit to pay its own cost" is a hint to that effect.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
corneacraneo wrote:
Page 7 of the rulebook

That is wrong, you can hire units and immediately spend them to get more Influence and hire other units or learn spells, etc. It has been a subject of various threads already.

The point the rules are trying to make is that reputation applies only once, but nothing is preventing you from generating more Influence later on.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Front Page | Welcome | Contact | Privacy Policy | Terms of Service | Advertise | Support BGG | Feeds RSS
Geekdo, BoardGameGeek, the Geekdo logo, and the BoardGameGeek logo are trademarks of BoardGameGeek, LLC.