Subject: Spiel des Jahres 2007: nominated games recommendations rss

Your Tags: Add tags
Popular Tags: [View All]
Todd
United States
Massachusetts
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
If someone was interested in purchasing one of the five nominated games this year, which would you recommend?

Personally I am thinking of buying either Yspahan or Arkadia. I am also interested in Notre Dame, but it was only recommended.

I am curious because games that win the Spiel des Jahres award are sometimes used as introductions for new gamers. Not to mention the fact that some people purchase games based on awards that they have won, along with other marketing techniques.

So which would you recommend to someone new to the hobby? Which would you recommend to a friend in your gaming group?

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Dustin Gervais
United States
Brooklyn
New York
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
You might try the computerized version of Yspahan. That will give you a way to try it before you buy it and see if it is right for you.
I haven't played any of the others, so that's about the best help I can give you.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Greg Zamira
United States
San Leandro
California
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmb
So far I have Yspahan and Arkadia. Haven't played Arkadia yet but I LOVE Yspahan. Try computer version as well as watch Boardgames With Scott for a review.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Chris Bailey
United States
Broomfield
Colorado
flag msg tools
badge
GO ROCKIES!!!!!
mbmbmbmbmb
1. There's a reason Yspahan is rated 7.5 here.
2. Never take advice from a mole rat.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Zopper Alf
Germany
Mannheim
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
I've played Notre Dame and Yspahan more than you (and likely more games from the list than you )

Yspahan is still a winner, Notre Dame is just dry. So, being the guy here with the most experience I would say my advice is worth more than yours

Other great games are
Jenseits von Theben and Wikinger, both excellent games

(Hope you see my attempt of humor here)
Simon

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I've played all three; so far in this thread I'm the only one.
Wow, there's a lot of questioning and asserting of credentials on the fora these days. Well, I have a freakin' Ph.D. in board games and I say Yspahan rules the freakin' universe.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Ed
United States
Oakland
California
flag msg tools
badge
Wankel engine
mbmbmb
Did I mention my cube tower is 10 inches long? You don't want none of this.
 Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Andy Parsons
United Kingdom
CHELMSFORD
Essex
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmb
ed95005 wrote:
Did I mention my cube tower is 10 inches long? You don't want none of this.

Any fool knows it's not size that matters but how you wield your tower.

Any fool also knows that Jenseits von Theben is a fun game that won't scare off the casual gamers, whereas Arkadia is really no fun at all. Yspahan is OK.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
United States
kaysville
Utah
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
generalpf wrote:
I have also played Arkadia four times, Yspahan four times + a few on the computer and Notre Dame 20+ times on BSW. Arkadia and Notre Dame are still fresh while Yspahan is now boring. Take of that what you will.
That's an amazing endorsement. I am surprised anything is "fresh" after a naked mole rat has been around it so many times. Still, it doesn't help me much as we have banned all forms of rodents from our game groups.

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Bill Galloway
Canada
Lansdowne
Ontario
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
dominojones wrote:
generalpf wrote:
I have also played Arkadia four times, Yspahan four times + a few on the computer and Notre Dame 20+ times on BSW. Arkadia and Notre Dame are still fresh while Yspahan is now boring. Take of that what you will.
That's an amazing endorsement. I am surprised anything is "fresh" after a naked mole rat has been around it so many times. Still, it doesn't help me much as we have banned all forms of rodents from our game groups.

Even squirrels?

(Hey, this thread has drifted way off topic already; I feel no shame in nudging it further into the rapids)

goldencamel goldencamel

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
John Mellby
United States
Plano
Texas
flag msg tools
badge
mbmbmbmbmb
Zopper-Alf wrote:
I've played Notre Dame and Yspahan more than you (and likely more games from the list than you )

Yspahan is still a winner, Notre Dame is just dry. So, being the guy here with the most experience I would say my advice is worth more than yours

Other great games are
Jenseits von Theben and Wikinger, both excellent games

(Hope you see my attempt of humor here)
Simon

Well I haven't played Notre Dame yet, so let me put in
an ignorance-based opinion (a time-honored BGG tradition).
I still find Yspahan interesting after 7+ plays (plus a lot
on the computer). Arkadia was boring after one play. (Hopefully
someone else local will buy it so I can have another try.)

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls
Jared Wilson
United States
Westminster
Colorado
flag msg tools
mbmbmbmbmb
Yspahan is great - it fulfills my itch to roll those dice. I played Arkadia last night, and it's quite good too - it fulfills my itch to play with little tetris shaped puzzle pieces and find a good spot for them.
I'd personally choose Yspahan but could totally understand why someone would prefer Arkadia.
I haven't tried Notre Dame yet - hopefully soon. And my buzz-o-meter is really starting to take of for Jenseits!!

Thumb up
 tip
 Hide
  • [+] Dice rolls